Technology & Data
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
How to Get Your Sales and Marketing Teams to Work in HarmonyContent Marketing for Midsized Companies: Whom to Target, What to CreateAtri Chatterjee of Act-On Software on the New Generation of MarketersMarketing Automation: What It Is and Why You Need to Know
- Social Tools
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Posted on March 6th 2009
PEW released an interesting document on twitter demographics along with some other interesting information. For example, did you know that 11% of online adults use twitter or a service like twitter to update their status online?
Here are the key stats from the PEW study regarding the demographic of twitter users:
- 19% of online adults age 18-24 have used twitter or something like it
- 20% of online adults age 25-34 have used twitter or something like it
- 10% of online adults age 35-44 “ “ “ “
- 5% of online adults age 45-54 “ “ “ “
- 4% of online adults age 55-64 “ “ “ “
- 2% of online adults 65+ “ “ “ “
Other interesting twitter stats:
- 35% of twitter users live in urban areas
- 9% live in rural areas
- online american who live in lower income housing are more likely to use twitter
- 17% of internet users in households earning less than $30,000 tweet
- 10% of internet users in households earning more than $75,000 tweet
- 76% of twitter users use the internet wirelessly
Twitter users are also more mobile in news consumption:
Here are some other interesting stats from PEW:
- median age of a twitter user is 31
- median age of a myspace user is 27
- media age of a facebook user is 26
- media age of a linkedin user is 40
Here is some quantcast data on twitter:
The data from Quantcast actually fits in pretty well with the PEW data, don't you think?
So there you have it folks, twitter demographics.
What do you think? Was this surprising or right on target with your expectations?
Link to original post