Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
10 Must-Reads for Customer-Centric Leaders
Posted on June 10th 2014
Our rallying cry for fewer ruined days continues.
We set out this year to help businesses become more customer-centric by asking eye-opening questions and making sense of customer emotions and behavior.
Now that we’re halfway through the year, we decided to find out which posts in 2014 our readers liked the best, and brought them together in a list of must-reads for those who want to stay on top as customer-centric leaders.
Are you game?
1) What IS a Customer Touchpoint?: Ok, ok I’m cheating a little. This is a legendary post from 2013 but it remains the most popular post on our blog. We’re glad to see this amount of curiosity because mapping the touchpoints is critical to creating memorable experiences for customers, and it’s one of the things we do best.
2) Infographic: Emotion IS the Experience: Emotion drives everything for humans – and last time I checked, your customers are human too! Sweating the small stuff – and engaging customers in creative and meaningful ways - can lead to “huge emotional dividends.” Customers will always remember your brand for how you made them feel.
3) 5 Simple Customer Experience Improvement Tips to Jumpstart 2014: Recharge and revisit these tips! Why not finish the last six months of 2014 with a bit more meaning and vitality?
4) 13 Tough Questions to Skyrocket Customer Experience: Do you have leader grit? The most enlightened leaders embrace the hard truth so they can make changes for the better. As scary as some of these questions may seem, reflecting on the answers will help you drive customer experience innovation.
5) Customer Experience Is…What Exactly? Don’t turn to Wikipedia. As Amazon’s Jeff Bezos says: “Brand is what people say about you when you leave the room.” This is the perfect refresher blog. How can we become champions of customers?
6) Are Your KPI’s Leading You to Disaster?: This was actually written in 2012 and reposted this year. How can your customers ever be your top priority if you neglect to make your KPIs customer-centric?
7) 5 Most Awful Customer Experience Solutions of All Time: What a ghastly list! Carol Lynn Rivera also suggested an excellent addition to the list. You should probably check this out just to be sure your organization doesn’t succumb to these quick-fixes that ultimately lead to failure!
8) Think You Know How Customers Feel? 13 Things They’ll Never Tell You: A hilarious but insightful photo post with statements such as #9: “I just played a exhilarating 26 minute game of Sudoku with your automated call center. (We both lost.)” You know you want to see the what the other 12 say!
9) 5 Spectacular Ways to Create the Worst Customer Experience: Too often, leaders ignore the small things that could be chasing customers away, just because there’s no fancy data telling them what to fix. Studies show that 89% of us will hop over to a competitor after a bad experience. Beware of these five sure-five ways to drive customers away.
10) Big Shoulders Coffee is Winning the Customer Experience Battle. Are You?: Are you choosing the right battle? I met an actual, living enlightened leader – Tim Coonan of Chicago’s Big Shoulders Coffee – who will inspire you to stand out and commit to a unique experience regardless of how crowded your industry is. Then maybe you’ll also create some fanatical customers who will put in a tad bit of extra effort to be your customers.
Lo and behold, my friends: 10 posts to upgrade your game plan for the rest of 2014!
Addicted to adrenaline, adventures and social media, Anne Reuss is fueled by coffee and fitness. She likes to take videos with her trusty Apple products. Being Deaf, she has super human listening skills and is always on the lookout for ways to leverage social media to improve all around communication online and offline. She is the community manager for 360Connext, a customer experience consulting firm, and a freelance writer. She can lipread but tweet her first @Anne Reuss