Technology & Data
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
How to Get Your Sales and Marketing Teams to Work in HarmonyContent Marketing for Midsized Companies: Whom to Target, What to CreateAtri Chatterjee of Act-On Software on the New Generation of MarketersMarketing Automation: What It Is and Why You Need to Know
- Social Tools
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
10 Tips for Better Facebook Status Updates [INFOGRAPHIC]
Posted on August 6th 2013
How do you increase Facebook engagement? Write better status updates.
Wording is everything when it comes to Facebook. It’s essential to offer concise, easy-to-understand content with clear calls to action. Posting interesting facts, tips, and images and specifically asking your fans to comment on them can inspire interaction and dramatically improve your Facebook fan engagement.
The team at ShortStack — makers of a tool that helps users create Facebook pages and add contests, sweepstakes, video, and more — produced the infographic below. It offers these 10 tips that will help your Facebook status updates stand out from the crowd:
- Post an interesting fact. If you’re sharing a blog post or an online article, create a status update that features the piece’s most interesting fact or statement to stir reader curiosity and encourage click-throughs.
- Share a tip. Begin the post with the word “TIP!” This makes your status update stand out in your fans’ News Feeds.
- Endorse content. Add an endorsement when you share someone else’s content or status update to change the way users react to a post.
- Don’t always ask a question. You don’t always have to ask your fans what they think. Mix it up!
- Inspire action. Post an image and include an ask such as, “If you’re on Pinterest, feel free to repin!” This usually results in pins and likes.
- Tell users what to expect. If you’re posting a video or linking to a blog article that’s on the long side, set your followers’ expectations by telling them exactly how long it is so they know what they’re getting into.
- Add a “P.S.”. In email marketing, adding “P.S.” at the end is a proven and effective way to grab the readers’ attention. Test using a “P.S.” line in a few status updates and see if it improves engagement.
- Use short links: Instead of copying and pasting a long URL into your status update, use a link-shortener like Bit.ly to make your post briefer and more likely to be shared.
- Use images with text. An online tool like PicMonkey will help you add the right HTML description to your images, which improves SEO.
- Ask users to comment. Use a give-to-get approach — e.g. ask your fans to share their Twitter handles with you and promise that you’ll follow them back. Comments are worth more than likes in Facebook Edgerank, which improves the likelihood that your post will be featured in your fans’ News Feeds.