- Content Marketing
When Your Customers Become Your Contributors: Brand Journalism Meets TraditionalGoogle Is Changing the Close Variant Matching Option in AdWordsBefore You Invest in Online Advertising, Do This!Native Advertising: The New New Thing or a Race to the Bottom? [VIDEO]
Technology & Data
Data and Creativity at the Social Shake Up: Defining Your Data-Driven Social CampaignTalking Strategy and Data with Shannon Lee of Precision StrategiesNew IBM Study Reveals 3 Key Characteristics of the Most Successful CompaniesMinority Report: Confronting Privacy Issues in Big Data Gathering
- Tech & Innovation
- marketing automation
Social Startups: Moment.me Captures a 360-Degree View of The Social Shake-Up 2014Hootsuite Partners With Syracuse University to Bring Social Media Savvy to College StudentsThe Best Hyperlapse VideosThe Best Content Moderation Tools for Busy People Who Don't Have Time for That
Social Change Agent Survey: Passion, Skill Set, and Persistence Lead to Career GrowthThe Social Shake-Up Attracts Wide Breadth of Brands and IndustriesThe Social Shake-Up: How CMOs Drive Innovation and Revenue GrowthThe Social Shake-Up: The Future of Social Business
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Recap from the First-Ever Employee Advocacy SummitFormer IBM Senior Advisors Launch Brands Rising to Build Employee Advocacy ProgramsPerformance and Risk Management Through Social Media TrainingEmployee Advocacy Summit: Advocate Stories from the Field
- Customer Service
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
30 Thought-Provoking Lead Nurturing Stats You Can't Ignore
Posted on January 19th 2012
We've got some news for you, inbound marketers, and it might come as quite a shock: your job doesn't necessarily stop at lead generation (GASP!). Just because a website visitor has downloaded your awesome ebook or registered for your informative webinar doesn't exactly mean he or she is ready to chat with one of your sales reps and jump right into a purchasing decision. (Sorry, but someone had to break it to you.)
This means that, in order to be a truly effective inbound marketer, you'll need to continue talking to, sharing content with, and engaging those leads who may be stuck in the middle of your funnel -- caught between their first conversion and a sales call. The good news is, this is where lead nurturing can play a vital role, enabling marketers to continue to educate, inform, and build a solid relationship with those lost leads to push them closer toward the bottom of the funnel and transform them into a much more qualified sale that's way easier to close. Let's face it: those middle child leads deserve some attention, too!
If you're not sure whether lead nurturing should hold a place in your inbound marketing strategy, some of these thought-provoking lead nurturing stats just might make you rethink your stance.
Stats to Set the Stage for Lead Nurturing
1) 50% of leads are qualified but not yet ready to buy. (Source: Gleanster Research) Tweet This Stat
2) Only 25% of leads are legitimate and should advance to sales. (Source: Gleanster Research) Tweet This Stat
3) 47% of B2B marketers say they either close fewer than 4% of all marketing-generated leads, or they don't even know this metric. (Source: Forrester Research) Tweet This Stat
4) Research shows that 35-50% of sales go to the vendor that responds first. (Source: InsideSales.com) Tweet This Stat
5) 79% of marketing leads never convert into sales. Lack of lead nurturing is the common cause of this poor performance. (Source: MarketingSherpa) Tweet This Stat
6) 61% of B2B marketers send all leads directly to Sales; however, only 27% of those leads will be qualified. (Source: MarketingSherpa) Tweet This Stat
7) Just 56% of B2B organizations verify valid business leads before they are passed to Sales. (Source: MarketingSherpa) Tweet This Stat
8) A whopping 68% of B2B organizations have not identified their funnel. (Source: MarketingSherpa) Tweet This Stat
9) 57% of B2B organizations identify 'converting qualified leads into paying customers' as a top funnel priority. (Source: MarketingSherpa) Tweet This Stat
10) 65% of B2B marketers have not established lead nurturing. (Source: MarketingSherpa) Tweet This Stat
11) 79% of B2B marketers have not established lead scoring. (Source: MarketingSherpa) Tweet This Stat
Lead Nurturing-Driven Results
12) 34% of B2B organizations touch leads with lead nurturing on a monthly basis. (Source: MarketingSherpa) Tweet This Stat
13) 22% of B2B organizations touch leads with lead nurturing on a weekly basis. (Source: MarketingSherpa) Tweet This Stat
14) 15% of B2B organizations touch leads with lead nurturing on a quarterly basis. (Source: MarketingSherpa) Tweet This Stat
15) 9% of B2B organizations touch leads with lead nurturing on a daily basis. (Source: MarketingSherpa) Tweet This Stat
16) 2% of B2B organizations touch leads with lead nurturing on an annual basis. (Source: MarketingSherpa) Tweet This Stat
17) Companies that excel at lead nurturing generate 50% more sales ready leads at 33% lower cost. (Source: Forrester Research) Tweet This Stat
18) Nurtured leads make 47% larger purchases than non-nurtured leads. (Source: The Annuitas Group) Tweet This Stat
19) Companies that automate lead management see a 10% or greater increase in revenue in 6-9 months. (Source: Gartner Research) Tweet This Stat
20) 46% of marketers with mature lead management processes have sales teams that follow up on more than 75% of marketing-generated leads. (Source: Forrester Research) Tweet This Stat
21) 25% of marketers who adopt mature lead management processes report that sales teams contact prospects within one day. Only 10% of marketers report the same follow-up time without mature lead management processes. (Source: Forrester Research) Tweet This Stat
22) Companies with mature lead generation and management practices have a 9.3% higher sales quota achievement rate. (Source: CSO Insights) Tweet This Stat
23) Relevant emails drive 18 times more revenue than broadcast emails. (Source: Jupiter Research) Tweet This Stat
24) Personalized emails improve click-through rates by 14%, and conversion rates by 10%. (Source: Aberdeen Group) Tweet This Stat
25) Event-triggered marketing can potentially save 80% of your direct mail budget. (Source: Gartner Research) Tweet This Stat
26) Lead nurturing emails get 4-10 times the response rate compared to standalone email blasts. (Source: SilverPop/DemandGen Report) Tweet This Stat
28) Lead nurturing emails have a slightly higher unsubscribe rate (1%) than individual email sends (0.5%), indicating their effectiveness in removing unqualified leads from the sales funnel. (Source: HubSpot) Tweet This Stat
29) Companies that excel at lead nurturing have 9% more sales reps making quota. (Source: CSO Insights) Tweet This Stat
30) Nurtured leads produce, on average, a 20% increase in sales opportunities versus non-nurtured leads. (Source: DemandGen Report) Tweet This Stat
Were you surprised by any of these statistics? Are you convinced that your business could benefit from lead nurturing? Learn how to get started in our free lead nurturing guide.
Image Credit: Zazzle.com