Technology & Data
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
How to Get Your Sales and Marketing Teams to Work in HarmonyContent Marketing for Midsized Companies: Whom to Target, What to CreateAtri Chatterjee of Act-On Software on the New Generation of MarketersMarketing Automation: What It Is and Why You Need to Know
- Social Tools
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
5 Quick Ways To Get Traffic Through Social Media
Posted on February 19th 2013
If you have any kind of a website and aren’t using social media to attract traffic, you are missing out on a great opportunity. Social media is among the most popular technologies in the world, is free to use, and has a quick learning curve for any user. With a good plan as to how you will integrate social media into your marketing plan, you can pick up quick traffic after just a few days.
Consider the following five tips for driving some visitors through social media to your site.
1. Jump on Twitter trends. The trending topics on Twitter are listed on the left of the screen, and change frequently. Keep an eye on the trends and try to tie them into what you site is about. If you use a hash tag to join in the trending conversation, even those that don’t follow you will be able to see your tweet. If they like what you have to say, they may follow you and even visit your website.
2. Run a ‘Like’ Contest. People love free stuff, so offer up a contest on Facebook for anyone who ‘Likes’ your page. As people click on ‘Like’ and share you page, you could quickly wind up with quite a following, and a good bit of traffic to boot. For the small cost of giving away a product or service, you can get a good amount of attention for your website.
3. Make Direct Contact on Twitter. People love to interact with the owners of businesses or website, so reach out to those that you think might enjoy your site. Don’t make it too sales oriented, just be yourself and try to show some personality. If they enjoy what you have to say, a visit to your site couldn’t be far behind.
4. Have a Picture Contest on Instagram. Offer up a prize for the best picture posted to Instagram that relates to your website in some way. This will give people a chance to show off their creativity, communicate with you directly, and build their awareness of your brand. Again, make sure to give away something of value so you get enough interest in the contest.
5. Post a Personal Video on YouTube. Rather than remaining faceless behind your keyboard, shoot a video of yourself discussing something about your website and post it to YouTube. This will bring your site to life and give people a face and voice to attach to your site. The effect of the personal touch on the interest people have in a website cannot be overstated.
Using social media to get some quick traffic doesn’t have to be hard or time-consuming. Be creative and have fun with the process. When thinking about promotions or giveaways to run on social media sites, put yourself in the shoes of the consumer. What would make you want to interact? What kinds of prizes would get you excited. Think it though, offer something of value, and watch the hits start to add up.