Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
5 Social Media Success Secrets for Small Businesses
Posted on August 16th 2011
Too many small businesses don’t understand how to effectively use social media and therefore make the mistake of thinking it’s unnecessary. These businesses are missing a tremendous amount of opportunity and keeping their business from reaching its full potential. The truth is, social media can produce an excellent return and does for small businesses who are willing to learn how to use it and take advantage of the tools available.
Here are 5 Tips to Drive Social Media Success for your business:
1. Be Active and Relevant– Two of the biggest mistakes small businesses make when using social media are not being regularly active on their accounts and posting too many promotions or irrelevant info that their audience is not interested in reading. We recommend doing a few things to focus your efforts and get better results.
- Establish Goals – Add 5000 Targeted Followers, Add 500 Likes, Secure Two New Clients via Social Media per month, etc…
- Establish Behavioral Commitments – Spend 20 minutes twice a day managing your accounts (we like HootSuite) and engaging in dialog with followers and those you follow.
- Create Persona's – Having a clear picture of who your audience is and what they like, want, and need can be a huge help in determining the best content to share and what’s going to drive engagement.
- Measure Your Success – we use and recommend Social Report for social media tracking, monitoring and measurement. It’s robust, affordable, and even has a 30 day free trial.
2. Grow Your Audience – We believe that it’s always beneficial to have a large targeted audience and there’s nothing wrong with actively and aggressively growing that audience. The bigger your pool of targeted followers, likes, connections, etc the more potential exists for engagement and business success.
3. Offer Valuable Insight – When publishing content refer back to the persona's you established. Be sure to provide insights and information that is relevant to your audience. Always think about whom your speaking to and what they are going to find helpful. Be sure to listen to their feedback as well. This will help you refine your persona's and become even more targeted and effective with you messaging.
4. Engage in Dialog – Remember, social media is a dialog NOT a monologue. Your audience wants to get to know you. They want to have a conversation with you. They want to be heard and recognized. This is what builds value, trust, and loyal customers. Do not let this process become overwhelming. It doesn’t have to be a full time commitment. Start with 20 minutes twice per day and go from there. The first step is always the hardest, but YOU CAN DO IT.
5. Hire an Expert – The bottom line is that many companies hire experts to handle much of their social media marketing initiatives so the company can focus on what they do best. This can be for audience growth, content, or full social media management. That being said, rarely do we recommend that small businesses hire someone to do 100% of their social media management. This is primarily because you know your business best and should have at least a minimum amount of direct engagement with your target audience. Whether your company needs a little or a lot of help we recommend contacting a social media expert for consulting, services, or both to get the most out of your social media campaigns.
Tactical Marketing Labs understands the need for collaborative and smart social media marketing that will interact efficiently with your organic SEO goals. We have worked with our clients and developed a package that we know delivers what most small businesses need: Organic search results, social media activity, a large audience and targeted traffic. Click here to check it out.
Questions and comments are welcome below.
Yours in Service,