- Content Marketing
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the PlatformRise of Social Media in Ecommerce [INFOGRAPHIC]How eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Patient Opinion Leaders Are the New Healthcare InfluencersFive Online Community Types: Which One Does Yours Fit Into?Digital Communities: 5 Ways to Determine PurposeCelebrate Your Social Media Successes, but Don't Forget that Community Trust is the Key
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
5 Tell-Tale Signs That You Don’t Have A Social Media Strategy
Posted on June 21st 2013
I’ve recently moved to the dark side, to a digital agency. Until now I’ve always stayed client side - you have one account to run, you have your strategy for the year, your focus is set and you know your competitors inside out. I’d often go online and look at what other people were doing on social media, more often than not though I’ll have found them through a great viral campaign or through peer recommendation, so their offering was likely very good. Having moved over to work across multiple accounts, each at varying stages in their quest to ‘do’ social media, it suddenly struck me how many companies are, well, just doing without thinking. After spending hours analysing brands across varying markets it’s astounding to see so many large household names still clearly working without a social media strategy.
How to recognize those without a social media strategy
Image used under CC via myrrh.ahn on Flickr
- Channels: Look across the different social channels, if one brand is posting the same content across each then it’s pretty evident that they’re without a strategic content planning model. It’s great to leverage content across your social channels but don’t make each one the same.
- Random Posts: We would all love to be the brand that can get away with talking about absolutely anything. Skittles do a great job of getting animals, ninjas and god knows what onto their Facebook page, but that doesn’t work for everyone and believe it or not all of those posts will have been planned in. If the posts flit from one topic to the next with intangible links back to the brand then it’s highly unlikely that they’re being scheduled in from a conversation calendar. Furthermore, if the tone of each post changes dramatically, then they're probably without tone of voice guidelines, another key output of a cohesive strategy.
- Visuals: If you skip back through the timeline and see that the page hasn’t changed since its inception that’s probably because no-one’s sure which direction they want to take going forward. A robust strategy would provide key dates for you to update your cover image, introduce new apps and create meaningful media-rich conversations to drive page engagement.
- Post Frequency: A good strategy should provide you with key objectives for each social platform, from which you can then build your content and conversations around. If a channel is rarely updated then there’s a strong possibility that the purpose of that channel is yet to be defined.
- Page Engagement: The output of a social media strategy should provide you with the tools and direction you need to plan and analyse your performance. Regular reporting is a good way to keep the team and business informed about social success. If a page has very little growth and engagement over a long period of time, it’s likely that no reporting is being done to alert the business to the situation or rectify it.
While they may seem like basic observations, they’re small but clear indicators that a social channel is running on the fly. Every social media manager should have a strategy in which to follow to ensure that they’re creating meaningful conversations and can present value back to the business.
If you’re struggling to pull a strategy together, then why not use the above list as a starting point and at least you know that your channels will be working for you in the interim.
If you’ve got anything to add to our list then let us know in the comments below.