5 Top Tips For Successful Social Media Marketing

Posted on October 18th 2011

When it comes to a successful social media campaign, the key is to make sure fans, followers and connections aren’t just reading, but engaging in what you have to say. Often, engagement is thought of as being pro-active, but it’s equally as important to use tools that help organize and disseminate information to give you the best chance of getting a good response.

And yes, you've heard it all before...  but what have you actually done about it? Have you actually found a way to act on all the great advice there is out there?

Good News. There is a free tool (that you can read about at the end of this post) that will help you implement all of the tips mentioned in this article.

Tip 1: Organize Your Team

First and foremost you need to organize your social life. If you work as a team, who is managing which accounts? Do you have clients you post on behalf of? Are they posting at the same time as you? These are all questions you need to ask so you never double contact someone. By this, I mean, someone asks a question like "Where do I find info on your return policy?" and 3 different people all reply to that same person. It's reply inundation and a major turn off. Even if you're a "one man band" you may wear different social hats. Setting yourself up with different "team" views (even if you're alone) helps keep you organized and on task.

Tip 2: Geo-Target

Never under-estimate the power of local. Did you know that almost all tweets are now geo-tagged even if not sent from a phone? Use this to your advantage by searching what's being said about your industry in your location. A restaurant monitoring all tweets about their cafe within 20 miles has a perfect chance to send someone a "thanks for eating at my restaurant, mention this tweet code and get 10% off your next meal!"

Tip 3: Stop ignoring Linkedin

Linkedin is still, to some extent, the red haired step child of the "big 3," behind Twitter and Facebook. But for marketing, there's a big opportunity. Start Linkedin Groups and start building a following around your brand, and post to it regularly. Get the Linkedin share plugin on your site.

Tip 4: Give Credit

RSS posting is a great way to keep information going out to your followers and fans, but what if the information is not yours? Make sure to marke "RT @ " the person, or "So and so wrote a great post."  You do not want your streams to be cluttered with so much information that your following has no idea what's important. Also, people tend to like being mentioned, and there's a good chance if you're posting someone's feed, they will post yours in return, so let them know!

Tip 5: Be Regular

Granted, you can't be at your social media dashboard at all hours of the day, but it's important to have content going out to hit all the time zones you need to interact with. Schedule some posts up for when you're away (or sleeping) to keep all corners of the world engaged. Just be sure to be ready to respond as soon as you get your computer started the next day.

One Robust, Free Solution to make this all happen for you....

Lucky for you, there is one tool... one FREE tool that helps you do all these things. It's called MarketMeSuite, and it's the intuitive social media marketing dashboard with Geo-Targeting, Robust Management, Cross Platform Posting, Scheduling, and RSS posting... and that's just the beginning. And, it's completely free social media dashboard.

You can grab it, totally free, here: http://marketmesuite.com/get-app

Image Source: http://mrkt.ms/qgM5E4

MarketMeSuite

Tammy Kahn Fennell

CEO, MarketMeSuite

Tammy Kahn Fennell is CEO and co-founder of MarketMeSuite (www.marketmesuite.com), the leading social media management dashboard for small- and mid- sized businesses. In late 2009, after spotting social media trends and recognizing the needs of small business from her own experience, Tammy launched the MarketMeSuite platform to help SMBs easily manage & monitor their social media presence, find targeted leads, build engagement and measure the ROI of their social marketing activities. Today the easy-to-use, affordable platform has over 30,000 users. Tammy has a lot to say on social media topics for small business, so she speaks and blogs frequently. She is also the owner and editor of the community driven blog, WeAreSocialPeople.com.

Comments

Posted on October 19th 2011 at 4:23AM

Social Marketing also plays as a platform for the free or a cheap source of publicity of the products in the market as the customer or the user of the product find it more easier to get in touch with other part of the world with the social networking media like Facebook,My space etc.The product on that media influence user more fastly than any other media...thanks

MarketMeSuite
Posted on October 19th 2011 at 12:55PM

Thanks for commenting. Not so sure about MySpace anymore though ;)

Posted on October 19th 2011 at 7:07AM

Great post Tammy. You look familiar, I think we're connected somewhere - FB, LinkedIN, Google+, Twitter?

I wanted to get your feedback on Market Suite compared to using TweetDeck or HootSuite. I use both for creating continuous streams of blog posts on Twitter. I manually post to Google+, which I found a Mozilla add-on that allows me to simultaneously post to Google+, Facebook and Twitter - and my FB Fan Page.

I wrote a piece on LiveGo and didn't find it to offer any advantage and I'm also going to check out SocialOomph.

I like what I have, but I'm always on the lookout for better tools and content to write about.

MarketMeSuite
Posted on October 19th 2011 at 12:54PM

Hi Roger!

Possible we're connected somewhere!  Thanks for reading and commenting.  TD and hoot are great solutions, and depending on your needs, each one could be for you. I focus on making MarketMeSuite the leader in Pro-active marketing, and what we're working on in version 4 (out in early 2012) should be a game changer in terms of cross network marketing (not having a huge Twitter bias, which we are even guilty of now).

Regarding Tweetdeck - it's really a "Twitter tool" - owned and run by Twitter now, and they recently announced they'd have a new one launching too, which is likely to be even more Twitterized. This is not a bad thing - for the Twitter power user it's great, but what we are focusing on is Cross platform marketing, of which Twitter is a part, and streamlining workflow.

Tweet me @tammykfennell anytime!

~Tammy, CEO @MarketMeSuite

TROOL Social
Posted on October 19th 2011 at 4:09PM

Congrats on your  MarketMeSuite I'm enjoying trying it out. Will you be adding Google+??  I manage a few clients as well as my info so it may take me a bit longer to really suss it all out..

Would love to here more about you and your reasoning behind this amazingly free toolset!

Kudos,

Elaine

MarketMeSuite
Posted on October 20th 2011 at 12:08PM

Yes, we will add Google Plus when they release the API so that we can :)

Glad you are liking it, this may help with managing your clients: http://marketmesuite.com/blog/marketmesuite-manual-a-comprehensive-guide...

Posted on October 20th 2011 at 8:23AM

I used most of the major social media for my marketing campaign. Your right, be present all the time to make this campaign work for your business. But have you ever tried a mobile campaign like atlanta sms marketing? Together, it works pretty good to me. Thanks for providing important tips about social media marketing.

Posted on October 25th 2011 at 5:53AM

Really great post.  Especially agree with the notion that we have to find a way to act on all the great advice out there.  Have incorporated this, and your post by reference, into a new blog post of my own. http://clairification.blogspot.com/2011/10/opinion-above-knowledge-commo... I look forward to following this blog!

allpopular
Posted on October 25th 2011 at 9:03AM

Just today, Linked in released "Company Status Updates" for company pages aimed at engaging the audience. That makes Tip 3 very relevant.  Also I think it depends on the kind of niche. If your site is anything remotely related to technology or professionals, LinkedIn definitely can be very handy.

MarketMeSuite
Posted on October 26th 2011 at 3:04PM

Yes definitely. Linkedin is coming into it's own. First and foremost, you just don't want to ignore. Get some statuses going to there, manage a few groups :)

Buzz Quotient
Posted on November 11th 2011 at 4:28AM

Interesting observations Tammy. Being regular and targeting your audience can be effective in managing your social media strategy.