Technology & Data
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
6 Tips for an Effective Pinterest Strategy
Posted on February 14th 2014
Most people think that an effective Pinterest strategy is only necessary for B2C ecommerce companies.
While you should certainly consider having a solid Pinterest strategy in place if you are a B2C ecommerce company, there are many other companies that are seeing significant results from Pinterest.
In fact, according to Piqora, on average, a pin generates 78 cents in sales. (Up 25% from Q4 in 2012.)
That’s on average. I’m sure many B2C ecommerce companies with effective Pinterest strategies generate more than that.
How can you create a Pinterest strategy that generates YOUR company money?
Consider these six factors when creating your Pinterest strategy:
- Your competition. Do some research. What are your competitors doing on Pinterest? Get inspiration from some of their boards. Obviously you want to be unique but it’s always a good starting point to take a look around at what others are doing. Especially if you are just getting on Pinterest for the first time.
- Brand awareness. Before setting out on Pinterest you should know your brand inside and out. It is so easy to get distracted on Pinterest. So easy. With a lot of intriguing images to look at it can be easy to get away from your brand and start pinning pictures of cute puppies.
- Your pins. What are you going to pin? Obviously you will have a board or boards to market your product or service but you also want to get creative. After you’ve done your research take a good look at your company. Have several creative boards in mind to start. What boards do you pick?!Consider these questions:
What makes your company unique?
Is it your staff?
The city you work in?
The pets you allow your workers to bring in to the office?
What inspires you and your brand?Keep in mind, you should have a good mix of your own images as well as “repins” of other popular, intriguing pins to drive traffic to your Pinterest account.
- Link to your website. This is the key to eventually generating that money per pin. For any image that you pin that is your own, make sure there is a link back to your website.
- Content. On top of intriguing images that you are linking back to your website, having a solid content strategy is also crucial for generating revenue with Pinterest. Creating a board of your blog content is a winning idea. As is creating a board of other content offers you feature on your website. Remember, you should always be thinking, “What’s the next step?” Someone sees your pin and then what? Get them to the bottom of the funnel and make that sale!
- Your profile. This seems obvious, but is crucial. Complete your profile with a short and concise description of your company and what a visitor might find on your Pinterest page. Then, make sure you have a verified link back to your website. You’re also able to include links to your other social networks.
If you aren’t a B2C ecommerce company, Pinterest might not be your go-to place when originally setting out to decide what social platforms you may want to be on.
That’s okay. As your overall social strategy becomes stronger, it may be something to consider. In which case, make sure you follow these tips to make it worth your while!