Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
7 Ways to Engage with Industry Influencers on Twitter
Posted on November 19th 2013
Social media is a great tool for brands to engage in influencer marketing. This strategy targets a specific individual–or type of individual–who has influence over potential buyers in your industry. Influencers can include broadcasters, journalists, professors, analysts, and athletes–any person who has a large following in your field.
Developing a relationship with these individuals is not as difficult as it seems. Twitter is the most effective platform to engage with influential people in your industry. This network hosts the most conversation and has a tremendous amount of shared content. In fact, there are 5,700 tweets sent every second. That gap between you and your target may be wide, but savvy Twitter use will help make up the difference.
This first step is identifying influencers in your industry. Do some market research. Influencers are typically well-connected, vocal, and involved in the community. Other points to consider: How active is the influencer on Twitter? How often are they sharing content? How many followers do they have? I recommend generating a list containing several of these influential users and saving it for reference when you wish to engage.
Here are seven ways to engage with influencers on Twitter:
1. General Interaction: Retweet, favorite, and reply to influencers from your brand’s account. When retweeting, make sure the content is relevant to your audience as well. (Tip: create a twitter list)
2. Ask Questions: Every so often, reach out and ask a question to an influencer. Make sure that your question can be answered in 140 characters or less and that it is targeted toward their area of expertise.
3. Keep the Dialogue Open: Once you’ve engaged with an influencer, keep the dialogue open by occasionally reminding them that you have been following them and enjoying their work or content.
4. Campaigns: Reach out to one influencer a day and let him or her know about a campaign that you are running. This doesn’t have to appear like a spam post. Make sure your campaign is something that would be valuable or interesting to them.
5. Twitter Chats: Find and participate in relevant Twitter chats surrounding your brand’s field. This is a great way to make connections. From here, not only can you find new influencers, but you can invite current individuals from your list to join. (Don’t know where to find relevant Twitter Chats? Here is a master list)
6. Generate an Exclusive List: People love lists. (Hopefully you love the list post you are reading right now.) Create a list of the top 10 or so influencers in your industry. Base this ranking on how valuable these individuals are. Share this list with your audience in a blog post or webinar. This list can be ever-evolving, maybe it changes monthly or quarterly. This is valuable information for people in your industry and also creates an incentive for the influencers on the list to interact with you.
7. Listening: Keep an eye on your influencers for chances to reach out and offer a surprise and delight. If you notice someone is having a bad day, find a way to make it better. They will remember.
With these simple, yet effective techniques, you can widen your target audience, build your customer base, and make lasting relationships in your industry. Twitter makes bridging the influencer gap fun and easy!