Connect with us:
Social Media Today on FacebookFollow SocialMedia2day on TwitterJoin SocialMediaToday LinkedIn Group

8 Things You Must Know About Your Audience to Inspire & Connect In Social Media

So you say you know your audience? You think you know what they need and want. You spend hours each week working on blog content, posts for Facebook, tweets and more.

Yet, your efforts don’t seem to be providing a return. Your blog readership isn’t increasing. The number of fans on your Facebook business page increases yet it’s like a desert with nobody talking to one another. You post a question and nobody answers except your best friend.

What could possibly be the problem? You’ve learned the tools. You’ve taken the classes. You know a conversation is of most importance in social media. However, nobody seems to want to talk to you.

If this is your situation you are not alone. We talk with many business leaders who have a similar experience. More times than not it’s because they started with the tools vs the audience.

I’ve said it fifty times and I’ll say it again… Social media is one big relationship fueled by conversation. Conversation involves people. Real people. People that inspire, connect, talk and engage.

Knowing and understanding your audience is required to truly inspire them to further engage and connect with you. As Brian Solis states, the social currency of online marketing and social media is action. If your audiences are not inspired to take action on your behalf then why are you doing what you do? It’s a tough question to answer I know if at the end of the day you know you are not connecting with nor inspiring your audiences. It’s an even tough question come month end when you are digging deep for a positive return on investment on your social media efforts.

Who is your audience? Do you really know them? Who are you writing for? Why do you tweet? What is the purpose of your Facebook business page? You must plan before you act in social media if you want to have a positive return on your investment. Random acts of marketing (RAMs) and social media (RASMs) will get you nothing but in the red come month end!

Note: For the purpose of this post we’re going to assume you have a plan, you have goals and objectives.  We are going to discuss how you can now get deeper in the head of your audience. In a perfect world you would have already done this before writing your plan, setting goals and objectives.  However, I know the majority of business leaders we are helping aren’t doing such when it comes to social media planning & execution. Thus the reason for this post, we’re starting with the audience.

8 Things You Must Know About Your Audience to Create Content that Inspires

1. Who is your audience?
No blanket answers here such as the entire zip code of Tampa, Fl. Instead focus on details and demographics such as:

• Where do they live?
  • Where do they work?
  • What do they do for fun?
  • What is their lifestyle?
  • Where do they hangout when not at work?
  • Where do they hangout when online?
  • What types of conversation are they having?
  • Are they talking with your partners? With your competition?
  • How much money do they make?
  • What is their lingo? Tone? Casual? Professional?
    *The list goes on and on here. You get my point by now, hopefully!

2. What are their pain points?

• Why do they need your product?
  • Why do they experience the pain that requires them to need your product?
  • What is the financial, emotional and life impact of the pain? How bad is it?
  • What happens if they don’t have your product or service? What alternative products and services are there?
  • Will they mitigate or reduce the pain themselves if you don’t help them?

3. What does your product or service do to minimize or mitigate their pain?

• How does it solve the business pain?
  • What relief does it give them? For how long?
  • Does it improve efficiencies?
  • Does it help them better sustain their business?
  • Does it help them increase return on investment?
  • Does it help simplify their business?
  • Does it help them better serve their customers and increase customer satisfaction?
  • Does it help them better inspire and connect with their audiences and customers?

4. How can your product or service inspire and help them personally and professionally?

• Does it give them hope?
  • Does it help them have a better day?
  • Does it make their family more at peace?
  • Does it help them keep their job?
  • Does it help them live a longer life?
  • Does it improve their career opportunities?

5. How is your product or service positioned?

• What are the replacement product or services to yours? This includes competition, alternative products and do-it-yourself.
  • Why would they choose a do-it-yourself product? Is it time, money, lack of trust or all of the above?
  • Do they choose an alternative or do-it-yourself option because the pain isn’t bad enough to justify the investment or time spent?
  • Where does your product or service sit in comparison to competition? Is it better? Worse? Why?
  • What value does your audience place on your product?
  • Why do they place value on your offering?
  • What are the complimentary products to yours? Who do they buy them and why? Who do they buy them from?

6. What is your zoom factor?

• How is your product or service differentiated?
  • Does your audience know this is your zoom factor?
  • Do they believe your zoom factor?
  • Do they understand your zoom factor?
  • Why should they buy from you versus other options?
  • What market lead do you have regarding competition? How long until your competition catches up to you?

7. What is your competition up to?
You can learn much about your audience by understanding how they engage and react to your competition.

• How is your audience engaging with your competition?
  • What is your competition doing that you aren’t?
  • Why are they doing such things different? Do they have a competitive differentiator because of this or do you have the leg up. Remember, different isn’t always better. You may be on the right track.
  • What type of response are they receiving online and offline from your target audiences? Is it different than how your audience is engaging with you?
  • Does your competition have a consistent tone, message and brand? If not, how can you enhance yours to zoom faster?
  • Is your competition engaging in a way their audience expects them to?  Casual when they’re expecting professional or opposite?
  • What are the weaknesses to how your competition is engaging and leveraging social media that you can use to your advantage?

8.  What’s your audience up to both online and offline?

• Where do they hang out online? Offline?
  • What conversations are they having?
  • Who are they talking to?
  • What is the tone of conversation?
  • Does the tone differ based upon who they talk to? Does it differ based upon social platform (i.e., different on LinkedIn vs. Facebook and Twitter?)
  • How are they engaging and responding to your business partners, local businesses and competition?

Content that connects with an audience is the key to inspiring an audience to listen, to engage and to take action. Content is the foundation of conversation. Conversation is the fuel that will ignite your success in social media.

To create compelling, relevant and valuable content the first step is to learn, understand and get to know your audience. Learn who they are. What they like. What makes them tick. Seek opportunities to zoom past your competition based upon weaknesses in engagement strategies, inspiring and connecting.

Use your knowledge of your audience to create compelling content that grabs their attention and inspires them to connect, converse and engage with you and your brand!

Your Turn

Do you know your audience? Or are you guilty of focusing too  much on tools, throwing out a certain number of blog posts? Or are you serving up what your audience really needs and wants?

Join The Conversation

• FGJohan's picture
    Mar 3 Posted 5 years ago FGJohan

Pam,

My apologies to you.  I was short-tempered on my post to you and should not have been.

FG

• PamMoore's picture
    Mar 2 Posted 5 years ago PamMoore

FG - thanks for your insight.  Jam packed schedule this week and responded quickly so my response may have came across differently than anticipated to you. I do appreciate insights of readers always and value opinions. I'm also always open to a good debate :)

My primary objective was to let them know I agreed with their comment yet also wanted to highlight the title of the post itself is focused on inspiring. No where in the article was there mention of SEO or keywords. However words such as conversation, inspiration, relevancy, compelling, valuable are throughout.

We as readers and writers are warranted to have opinions. I simply stated my opinion on a comment.

I value your opinion as well and appreciate your comment. No intention of being combative on the prior comments nor this one.

Thx

Pam

• FGJohan's picture
    Mar 2 Posted 5 years ago FGJohan

Pam,

I am shocked that you would suggest that Kent and Geri did not read your article in its entirety (by the way, it's "its" not "it's" in "its entirety").

Kent's comment was quite sound when he raised the point of enjoyable content.  His mention of search engine optimization was merely a sidenote about how many writers seem to care more about SEO than enjoyable content.  Enjoyable content and, may I add, presentation of content, are necessities in the long run.

Geri's seconding of Kent's point was not combative to you in the least.  She was adding to the discussion here on your blog and giving more credence to a comment that a READER of yours made.

Finally, if both of them "missed the point of this article" as you surmised, is that the fault of the readers or the writer?  My guess is that both of them did clearly understand the point of the article.  In fact, they both seem to agree with your points.  That's why they decided to add to, rather than dispute, your material.

The reason I am shocked at your response is that as trainer and coach, I would think that you would be prone to relish the opportunity to learn from your readers rather than put them back into their places.

FG

• PamMoore's picture
    Mar 2 Posted 5 years ago PamMoore

Atul - I agree with "anynomous". If you are offering such services you should be getting paid for such based upon the work you are doing. Yes, I agree with you, doing social media and building relationships for a client takes time, effort and an investment.

We encourage clients to be engaged with social media relationship building. Outsourcing 100% is not something we recommend. The best success requires a partnership. As the other comment states, a marketing plan, goals and objectives are key. Why are you connecting with such an audience? What are the objectives? What can you do for the audience? How can your services help them? How can you create content that helps them in their business, inspires them and also draws them closer to you as a person and a business.

I'd have to know more about your specific situation to offer more help.  Pls feel free to reach out to me offline for further guidance. I live on Twitter and answer questions on my Facebook page daily (http://www.pamsfanpage.com

Thanks so much for your comment and openness is asking questions.

Thx

Pam

• PamMoore's picture
    Mar 2 Posted 5 years ago PamMoore

Geri, pls see my reply to Kent. I think somehow you both missed the point of this article. It is to help people get to know and understand their audienc with a goal of inspiring and connecting. No where in the article does it mention SEO or keywords. I agree with you and is what the focus of my biz, services and agency is about... inspiring, emotionally connecting etc.  Did you read the article in it's entirety?

Thx

Pam

• PamMoore's picture
    Mar 2 Posted 5 years ago PamMoore

Thanks Alicia. Glad you liked it. :)

Thx

Pam

• PamMoore's picture
    Mar 2 Posted 5 years ago PamMoore

Kent - I think you are missing my entire point of this article. It's all about "inspiring"! If you check out my blog you'll quickly see I am 100% focused on engaging, inspiring and entertaining audiences via experiental brand experiences so your words are music to my ears as well.  As mentioned in the start of the post this post was specifically designed to help people understand their audiences with an objective to inspire.

I appreciate your comment and agree 100%. However, no where in this post did I mention a focus on SEO or keywords. The clear focus is on understanding your audience with a goal of connecting, conversation and inspiration.

Thx

Pam

• PamMoore's picture
    Mar 2 Posted 5 years ago PamMoore

Thanks Luis.  I agree. It seems basic marketing skills seem to have been forgotten, disregarded and/or never understood by many biz's today.

Glad the article was useful. Best of luck to you!

Thx

Pam

• Mar 2 Posted 5 years ago Anonymous (not verified)

You have to research your target customer base. If you do not know something about them, make sure you find it out by hook or by crook. Thats what marketing team is supposed to.

Sending unsolicited emails to connect with people will never help. Make sure you introduce you/your business only by highlighting what is of interest to that person (do the research before hand)

Hope this helps.

• Luis Portiansky's picture
    Mar 1 Posted 5 years ago Luis Portiansky

Pam: Love the article & couldn't agree more. As a consultant I get the opportunity to meet & peek into lots of companies. I am amazed at how many of them know so little about their customers. Even the basics of market segmentation are ignored - yet most are engaged in a flurry of 'social media' activity; and they are also still wondering why they get no results. The situation prompted me to post a reminder on segmentation - http://bit.ly/e7tvW0

Thanks for a thought provoking post. I'll be sharing it with more than a few companies.

Luis

• Geri Stengel's picture
    Mar 1 Posted 5 years ago Geri Stengel

Good marketing points all, but I have to say the comment from Kent about content that is enjoyable really hit home. You may know all the answers about your market and how your product fits into the market but if the content you provide is designed for search engines, not people, it may be boring, repetitious, and never raise a giggle or an eyebrow. Content that is neither relevant nor engaging may be the real problem.

• Mar 1 Posted 5 years ago Kent Hadley (not verified)

I was interested to see that no where in your eight points does it say the reader should be entertained or enjoy the content. As we become more electronic it has become increasingly difficult to find entertaining or enjoyable reading. Writer's are so concerned with stuffing their work with SEO and keywords that even a short story is written for placement on Google and not for a reader to enjoy. Every web page is an assault on us to buy. Descriptions are written not for us to learn from but to gain a better ranking. I think we need to put the meaning of social back into social media.

• Mar 1 Posted 5 years ago Atul Vhale (not verified)

Ok, I am agree and influenced by this questionnaire. But, let me ask one thing, if someone social media marketer belongs to India and he need to do work for his Australian client and targeted audiance from some other region. Ok, now how he would connects with people who doesn't know him? Lots of the time I sent request unknown people they simply asked me "Do you know me?" It will ok I can manage relationship but it looks too much time consuming to build relations with online people for one client. It was just my thought, can you give me better way how to build a quick online public relations?.

• Feb 28 Posted 5 years ago Alicia Vaz (not verified)

I totally agree and support the notion. This article is thought provoking. I like how you provide specific questions to consider before executing plans. That’s very helpful if we’re serious about engagement. No more guess work; knowing your audience and meeting their needs are best for successfully meeting business objectives. Great read, great points. Thanks!

Webinars On Demand