#SMTLive Schedule

Business Blogging: Essential for Business Reach

Business Blogging San Francisco

Business Blogging as a Critical Tool

There is a wide misconception among SMBs that business blogging is a waste of time.  But realistically, blogs are, and have always been great marketing tools.  When used effectively, an active blog with useful, free content can attract a lot of potential customers.  And in today's web environment with discerning readers and strong filtering tools, a compelling blog article can reach audiences further than direct marketing and traditional advertising practices.  

"57% of businesses have acquired a customer through their company blog." - HubSpot

These are some of the benefits you can expect from managing an effective business blog

1.  Industry and Product Authority
Good, consistent, business blogging develops your position and reputation as an expert in your industry.  When you demonstrate your knowledge, experience and expertise on matters related to your industry, you effectively demonstrate your authority to your readers.  And in educating your customers, you are providing a free service, which can generate revenue-generating services with those same customers.   

2.  Facilitating  Two-Way Communication
Blogs also offer a great way to improve your interaction with customers.  This because, while a website is largely one-way communication between a business and its customers, your blog is an interactive channel where your customers read and leave comments .  As a business blog owner, you can engage and feed the dialogue.   Your business blog becomes a medium of conversation on which customers send their voice including problems and suggestions to owners.

3.  SEO: Enhanced Search Engine Ranking
Business blogging can have a big impact on your SEO.  Additionally, it also has the potential to drive traffic from other blogs, websites, RSS feeds and social networks.  In this way, blogging has become more than just a bare necessity for individuals and business, and an integral part of your SEO strategy

Collectively, then, there are many benefits to business blogging

  • Blogging improves your rank on Google and other search engines.
  • Blogging helps establish your authority and reputation in your niche.
  • Blogging gets tons of new traffic which you can target for your products or divert to your website.
  • Blogging helps establish a targeted loyal customer-base which you can tap into in more than one way.
  • Blogging helps build your email list as readers often subscribe to your feed or newsletter.
  • Blogging helps spread the word about your business or its products.

In conclusion, if you're not blogging, start now. If you're blogging, but not posting regularly several times a week, pick up the pace. If you are, enjoy your future business.  To improve your business blog, or launch a new one, see my list of Essential Blog Widgets

Original post



Connect with SocialMktgFella at Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn | Google+

Join The Conversation

  • SocialMktgFella's picture
    Feb 29 Posted 5 years ago SocialMktgFella

    @ MegTemple - I think part of the problem is that a lot of SMBs don't like to write.  An effective blogging campaign is entirely different than an email campaign where you shoot off a few things a few times a month.  To write truly compelling, interesting content and keep it from being self-promoting at all, requires real talent.  At the Inbound Marketing Summit this week in NYC one presenter suggested that the cure to this is to hire a journalist to write-for and manage your business blog.  It makes sense, and there's an abundance of them available for hire, for sure. 

  • Feb 29 Posted 5 years ago megtemple (not verified)

    Nice article. We've noticed at my company that a lot of small to medium sized companies are not blogging - it struck us as really odd - especially for high tech companies - so we did a survey and found that only about 20% had a blog. The other 80% are missing the opportunity to gain the benefits you list, and it is one of the most effective content marketing tools available.




  • Feb 27 Posted 5 years ago The Small Busin...

    Google recently confirmed that they give preference to blogs because of their constantly updated, fresh content.

Webinars On Demand

  • May 09, 2017
    With all of the technologies available to marketers today, have we lost that personal touch? Join VP of Content Marketing for ON24, Mark Bornste...
  • April 05, 2017
    In the ever-changing world of digital marketing, operational efficiency, quick turn-around times, testing and adapting to change are crucial to...