Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Creating Authentic Growth (for Your Startup)
Posted on April 17th 2014
Here the key takeaways from Sean Ellis' wonderful keynote Stacking the Odds for Authentic Growth at the Startup Marketing Conference.
On March 27th, at the #StartupMarketingConf, Sean Ellis, Founder and CEO of Qualaroo and GrowthHackers.com (in a 2010 blog post, he coined the term #GrowthHacker), presented the morning keynote "Stacking the Odds for Authentic Growth".
What is the formula for Nirvana? Desire minus Friction = Desire
A. Maximize the % of "Must Have" (MH) Experience
- Any startup should ask their audience: Would you be disappointed without our product? Ask that question and then change your product and messaging to meet the audience's needs. A fragmented experience could be the reason for present disappointments. That does not mean your product is doomed. Listen, implement desired changes, and then ask the question again and again until you get it right.
- Steve Jobs claimed that the consumer does not always know what he/she wants; that he has to be told. How does this fit with Sean's approach of asking the end-user directly? Answer: Product fit is a different issue from Stacking the Odds/Optimization. It requires coming up with innovation. Sean's approach assumes a product fit has already been determined.
- Don’t ask people if they like the solution/product. Ask them what their problem is, or how you could solve their problem.
- Ask “must have” clients what they’d do if your product was no longer available to them.
- Ask: What are you hoping [X] can do for you?
B. Website 101: Ask Lots of Questions
Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) is the most important lever for growth.
By creating more effective websites, you are able to maximize your business objectives while providing your clients the best experience.
- Ask: Does this page make you want to try [x]?
- Ask: is anything preventing you from signing up?
- Test to increase desire and reduce friction
- Provide strong hooks based on intent research
- Fix issues (fear and confusion friction)
- Testing never stops...
Idea: Ask people at Starbucks to sign up for your offer on your website /app store and to talk out loud while they do it (buy them a coffee in exchange).
C. Calibrate the Growth Engine
- Your hook and your promise have to connect; example: ads and landing pages.
- Communicate the “promise” about the "must have" experience.
- Strong value delivery drives organic growth; your proof that you are communicating the "must have" experience properly in your promise. It means you are achieving retention/loyalty and WOM.
D. The Startup Pyramid (By Sean Ellis)
E. CASE STUDY: Optimization Unlocks Growth
- Growth before optimization was frustrating
- First 4 months of Optimization led to a 1,000% visit-to-purchase rate improvement
- Growth channels are now scaled
- Marketer’s role is to reach potential
- Product/market fit defines potential
- Understand the "must have" experience (if user not disappointed without product; there is no case)
- Increase desire, reduce fiction
- Value machine drives organic growth