Nov 4 Posted 2 years ago
You are quite correct in noting that personas need to be updated and expanded. But the use of inferred data (by observation of "liking" or site visits or post content), only goes so far. For example, I like superhero movies, but the online ad agencies infer that also means an interest in other "action movies" like "The Expendables 2" or in "action" video games. Both of these assumptions are based on still generalized data and both are absolutely wrong. I don't like video games (never have since they began with Pong) and I don't like suspense thrillers no matter how many explosions or gun battles they contain.
I called this kind of marketing "throwing spaghetti at the wall". It continues to hurl ad after ad at you in the hopes that something will "stick" to you and then it is "done". I much prefer when I am asked what kind of ads I want to see than the guesswork that currently goes on. I would periodically visit Google's ad preferences page to gauge what they tried to guess about my interests and they were frustratingly off base. I would try to figure out where such ideas may have arisen, appalled that looking up a country that appeared in the news gave rise to travel ads. I don't like to travel, either. I finally opted-out of "personalized" ads from them as they were not any more relevant that what random ads might come my way.
Yes, I did have the option to choose vague, general categories of interest, but were so broad as to not really matter. It was as if they really didn't care what I was willingly asking to see, no real category break downs (i.e., literature and arts; really, Tom Clancy and Danielle Steel and Joyce Carol Oates, all together?).
Print and broadcast audiences are always going to be general, but social media marketers have a real chance to do more than presume that a Facebook "like" necessarily means that I actually like them. Although Syncapse interviewed 2,080 people about why they "liked" a brand on Facebook, and 49% said that they were doing so to support a brand, several other reasons account for the remaining 51% and some of those reasons were not entirely an endorsement of the brand. (http://mashable.com/2013/06/26/why-facebook-fans/)
All I am supporting is that more direct, specific feedback be made available for us to share rather than the far too broad (Google) or star ratings (Facebook's newsfeed surveys) currently in use. Because, frankly, I don't "Like" anything right now.
Webinars On Demand
February 16, 2016The following is the webinar archive for "Storytelling Gone Wild: The Key to Creating Viral Content." This webinar originally aired on February...
February 09, 2016The following is the webinar archive for "Social Listening: Harness Marketing Insights from Consumer Conversations." This webinar originally air...
February 05, 2016Facebook contests and campaigns are powerful ways for brands to engage with customers in social. They encourage social sharing, spur user-ge...
December 15, 2015New Research to Drive Smarter Social Strategy It’s no secret that social moves fast. So our research and analytics team mines social data,...