Technology & Data
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
How to Get Your Sales and Marketing Teams to Work in HarmonyContent Marketing for Midsized Companies: Whom to Target, What to CreateAtri Chatterjee of Act-On Software on the New Generation of MarketersMarketing Automation: What It Is and Why You Need to Know
- Social Tools
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Expert Voices: What Makes a Good Tweet?
Posted on January 7th 2013
Have you been wondering what makes a good Tweet? Why do some people seem to be able to gather a solid following while others just don't get any traction? Read this blog to get some answers from me and other social media practitioners.
Of course, good content is one key ingredient, as is common sense. But, there are, indeed a few well-tested strategies that you can use to increase your reach, engagement and success on Twitter.
Top 3 Tips for a Good Tweet
- Listen before you tweet
- Add your own insights vs. just (re-)tweeting
- Be a personality not a company
Top 3 Tips to Increase Your Following
- Follower influencers & other interesting people
- Tweet during relevant events using the event hashtag
- Include influencers or other relevanthandles in your tweets (even ask for RTs directly)
>>it is not a science. The rule of thumb: use common sense!
How do you Define a Good Tweet? Qualitative
- It’s audience appropriate (what & when)
- Good content = not a product pitch
- Leaves room for Retweeting
- Influences (your audience)
- Is a well-defined piece in your overall social media strategy
- Is Retweeted by your influencers (not just your colleagues & friends)
- Tweet is Retweeted and/or commented on
- Creates a high amount of impressions (reach); premise: influencers have many followers
- Click-throughs to promoted content, e.g. via Bit.ly’s
- Growth in number of followers
- Increases your Klout score