Facebook Announces Fight and Removal of Fake Likes

CHRISVOSS
Chris Voss CEO, The Chris Voss Show

Posted on September 3rd 2012

Facebook Announces Fight and Removal of Fake Likes

Image

Facebook announced they are doing more to fight “Likes” from fake accounts and bots. Facebook Like sellers beware!

There have been complaints by companies that their Likes have been fraudulently boosted with fake accounts by Like Sellers. The other complaint has been that scripted bots, likely from competitors, have been suspected at clicking on Facebook ads and Like campaigns by companies significantly driving up their ad costs. If you are a business advertising on Facebook this can get costly.

Facebook is saying they will be removing Likes that have been found to be fraudulently generated. For most people they say it should not affect less than 1% of Likes on any given page.

From their site: “These newly improved automated efforts will remove those Likes gained by malware, compromised accounts, deceived users, or purchased bulk Likes. While we have always had dedicated protections against each of these threats on Facebook, these improved systems have been specifically configured to identify and take action against suspicious Likes.”

What do you think about fake likes and Facebook Like sellers?

Source: TheChrisVossShow.com

CHRISVOSS

Chris Voss

CEO, The Chris Voss Show

Chris Voss has been a CEO and Serial Entrepreneur for over 25 years, building and managing a multitude of corporations in differing fields of the social industry. Forbes rated him #18 in their list of Social Media Power Influencers. He has also received major accolades from current and past clients.

Comments

CHRISVOSS
Posted on September 3rd 2012 at 7:08PM

I also wonder how many social media consultants encourage their clients to buy fake Likes?

Kent Ong
Posted on September 4th 2012 at 3:52AM

Hi Chris, even they tried hard to fight fake Likes, but still Linkedin outperform Facebook in leads generation.

Rohit Onkar
Posted on September 4th 2012 at 5:35AM

Hey Kent,

I agree that LinkedIn outperforms Facebook in most cases when it comes to lead generation especially due to the elite quality of their user base. But treating Facebook as a lead generation platform is a bit unfair. Facebook is an excellent platform for engagement especially when it comes to consumer/FMCG brands.

Regards,

Rohit.

Kent Ong
Posted on September 4th 2012 at 7:45AM

Hi Rohit, I think I should say, the value that I can get from Linkedin compared to Facebook has huge diffenrence. Regardless of lead generations or engagement, or what so ever. Overall, Linkedin is outperform FAcebook.

Rohit Onkar
Posted on September 4th 2012 at 1:03PM

Hi Kent,

If you ask me for a comparison between Facebook and LinkedIn (accounting Engagement, Branding & Lead generation), LinkedIn would win it :)

Regards,

Rohit.

Kent Ong
Posted on September 4th 2012 at 2:05PM

Definitely agree with you. Not only Linkedin. Other social networking sites - internations.org or even forum and youtube channel are much better than Facebook.

If Facebook doesn't change, I can predict that Facebook won't last longer.

CHRISVOSS
Posted on September 4th 2012 at 4:54PM

I agree!

sandyy
Posted on September 4th 2012 at 6:09AM

Genuine likes from a genuine accounts will be a good result to the profles.

Kent Ong
Posted on September 4th 2012 at 12:29PM

Hi Chris, I believe there are a lot. The question is we need to know the truth meaning of influence

Tamilore
Posted on September 4th 2012 at 12:36PM

I think you guys need to clarify what you mean by 'fake likes' so people dont get confused. If a small business owner advertises to get likes and announce business Facebook presence by targeting his/her local area to find people to engage with; will that count as 'fake likes'? I dont think so.

Cheers.

CHRISVOSS
Posted on September 4th 2012 at 5:05PM

Thanks but I believe we did state “Likes” from fake accounts and bots.  The article refers to that method.