Facebook Case Study: How Not to Manage Your Social Media - Amy's Baking Company

PamMoore
Pam Moore Owner/Partner, Marketing Nutz, LLC

Posted on May 15th 2013

Facebook Case Study: How Not to Manage Your Social Media - Amy's Baking Company

photodune 4149031 dislike road sign thumb down sign xs Facebook Case Study: How Not to Manage Your Social Media   Amys Baking CompanyThose who frequent our blog platforms know we do our best to only share positive, helpful information. However, once in awhile a case study pops up out of no where that we can’t help but share. We can all learn from these situations.

I am not going to do some big ol’ synopsis of the drama that is behind and in front of this scenario. I don’t want to be involved, don’t want the drama in my day, life or business.  I will keep it simple and simply share with you the screen capture of their Facebook page. The page and their comments speak for themselves.

I don’t know the history. I don’t want to know it. There are probably reasons they are so upset. However, there should never be a reason any brand behaves in such a way on the social networks. If you feel the need to tell your community off, take a breath, take a walk, turn off your computer. Don’t blast it on your page.

This bakery is certainly not delighting their fans. Sad, truly sad.

I did not link the below image to their Facebook page or website. I do not want to support such behavior. I am certain you can find it via a simple Google, Bing, Twitter or Facebook search if you are stuck on seeing it for yourself. In less than one hour, I have seen their Facebook likes increase by 3,000!

Scenario: Amy’s Baking Company was on the Kitchen Nightmares show. I didn’t see the episode but my understanding is it was pretty bad. The retaliation on the page has to do with the bad reviews on social media sites and other happenings on the show of which I do not want to get into here on this page.

Update 5/15/13:

On 5/14/13 the owners of the restaurants posted on Facebook they were hacked and comments on Facebook were not theirs. Though it may be true, my bets are that it is not. Their words are exactly how they treat their paying customers as shown in the videos.

Video segments for Kitchen Nightmare Reality Shows:

Segment 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LY7TJ16pg

Segment 2:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDtoHpAWhg

Amy's Baking Company Stating they were hacked on 5/15/13.

amys baking company claims they were hacked

Amy's Baking Company original Facebook posts blasting their community.

Amys Baking Company Facebook Case Study: How Not to Manage Your Social Media   Amys Baking Company

PamMoore

Pam Moore

Owner/Partner, Marketing Nutz, LLC

Half marketing, half geek, social media addict, CEO & Founder of Marketing Nutz @MktgNutz, entrepreneur, speaker, trainer, coach. Lover of strategy, ROI, Brand, God, Family, Friends, Beach & Life! 15+ years of experience helping small startups to Fortune 100 companies, budgets teeny tiny to big in both B2B and B2C markets build brand awareness, grow new markets, develop communities and master ROI across all mediums! Industries of expertise include high technology, non-profit & fundraising, green eco-friendly, enterprise data storage, professional services and storage management, real estate and home building, natural lighting, database analytics & modeling, online marketing, as well as web 2.0 ecommerce for online retailers. http://www.themarketingnutz.com

Comments

yorair
Posted on May 15th 2013 at 2:39PM

wow. this is the proof that one should not post (or even engage with other people in any way) when seriously upset....

kandice
Posted on May 15th 2013 at 2:43PM

Thanks Pam! Great post as always! You know what gets me, though. I'm willing to guess they started out with less then 1,000 Fans. Yesterday morning they had over 20,000....last night they were at 36,000...I estimated that by today they'd break 50,000 and as of right now they are at 48,000. So let's analyze this: in the long term it would have been better to let Chef Ramsey help their business, however in the short term you know business is booming! It's a remarkable reflection on social media and something that I can't wait to see hwo it turns out. Thanks again! (Oh, and feel free to follow us on FB where we are keeping tabs on this awesome story).

David Mitchel
Posted on May 16th 2013 at 4:16PM

@ Kandice-Have you seen those the change in Likes from 1,000 to 50,000 or so impact business materially for them? Number of followers matters less to me than LTV per follower. Also, this will take time to shake out. Let's see where the business is in 6-12 months.

kandice
Posted on May 16th 2013 at 4:30PM

Agreed. Let's see...

walnutwriting
Posted on May 15th 2013 at 4:30PM

The massive media attention may get them social media "fans" in the short term. Will these fans amount to anything? Probably not. These people just want in on the action. It kind of defeats the real purpose of social media, IMO. They're not building relationships here.

Journalist
Posted on May 15th 2013 at 5:58PM

Pam:

Many people are expressing what you're sharing here -- that this is not the way to use a social utility like Facebook -- and by doing so they're missing the point. What the owners of this business did -- how they chose to act -- shouldn't be characterized or analyzed in the context of social media; it should be evaluated at a completely different level, because absent of there being social media, their behaviors and actions have been shown to be just as damaging and faulty.

Witness what we saw on television (i.e., talking down and verbally threatening customers). These acts they've committed happened somewhere else first and foremost, and are simply exacerbated via social channels.

The dialogue here -- and elsewhere when people and businesses make missteps inside of social utilities like Facebook, Yelp and other platforms where user-generated content powers the channel -- needs to focus on the genesis of the situation more so than the space online where the offending action continues to be perpetrated.

Pull back the social platform and you're likely to find the same thing happening first and foremost offline.

Mikal Belicove

gursharn
Posted on May 16th 2013 at 12:53AM

Pam:

Another example of real-life attitudes ringing loud and clear on social media.  No special social media plan required, just common sense!

Sharn

David Mitchel
Posted on May 16th 2013 at 4:29PM

The whole thing put me at a loss for words in general.

If they maintained control of their Facebook page throughout, the way they communicated on there isn't the way the overwhelming majority of people would choose to communicate.

They have gotten their name out there more & increased brand awareness. Will it pay off? Not sure. Perhaps there could be short term benefit, but the long term is what matters most. Product & price-value proposition will carry them over the long term.

Susan Daniels
Posted on May 31st 2013 at 11:56PM

I'm curious. What are the best practices a business takes to rebuild their image when something like this happens?

Susan Daniels
Posted on May 31st 2013 at 11:52PM

I believe a little "anger management" therapy might be in order. If it's not a hacker who posted those posts, I feel very sorry for them. A complete melt-down in public never looks good on anyone.