Technology & Data
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
How to Get Your Sales and Marketing Teams to Work in HarmonyContent Marketing for Midsized Companies: Whom to Target, What to CreateAtri Chatterjee of Act-On Software on the New Generation of MarketersMarketing Automation: What It Is and Why You Need to Know
- Social Tools
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Five Awesome B2B Social Media Statistics
Posted on August 25th 2011
Do you think social media isn’t for B2B organizations? Think again. It’s true B2B tends to be slower to adopt new trends. But social media is now mainstream and we have proof B2B companies are generating demand and getting leads using it.
We set out to find the top five B2B social media statistics. We had some parameters:
- We wanted to find recent research no older than last year. The social landscape changes so rapidly we wanted the latest research we could get.
- We wanted a variety of different sources – not just from digital marketing agencies with a vested interest in promoting social media.
- We also wanted more than just two or three statistics.
Top B2B Social Media Statistics
With that said, here is what we rounded up:
- B2B companies that blog generate 67% more leads per month than those who do not. Source: Hubspot, State of Inbound Marketing Lead Generation Report, 2010
- 69% of B2B marketers are shifting their budgets toward social media. Source: MarketingSherpa, October 2010
- 41% of B2B companies are acquiring customers through Facebook. Source: Hubspot, State of Inbound Marketing Report, 2011
- 86% of B2B companies are using social media, compared to 82% of B2C companies. Source: White Horse, March 2010
- Social media helps B2B marketers improve search results. Source: BtoB Magazine, July 2010
What does this mean for B2B organizations? You must absolutely be where your customers are – and increasingly your customers are spending time on social networks.
Follow Your Customers
“But wait," you say. “I’m an industrial B2B manufacturer. What’s a Facebook page supposed to do for me?” Social media isn’t just Facebook. Facebook might not be right for your business, though it is for Steel Master Buildings, a manufacturer of prefabricated steel buildings for industrial use. They have a highly successful and effective Facebook page. Keep the fundamentals in mind: Identify where your customers are first and then choose the right social channel.
In some cases, YouTube might be a better venue. Think about highlighting the benefits of your complex industrial product through a series of YouTube videos. Then equip your sales force to use the videos as a sales tool. If the videos are smart, fun, and even humorous – gasp! – your sales reps can share them with prospects as a way to get their foot in the door. Take a look at what Kinaxis, a supply chain risk management company, did with their YouTube video.
Does your B2B company have a social strategy? What’s holding you up?