Forbes Top 50 Social Media Power Influencers of 2013 [INFOGRAPHIC]

seftonmedia
Steven Sefton Digital & Social Media Marketing Director, Sefton Media

Posted on April 30th 2013

Forbes Top 50 Social Media Power Influencers of 2013 [INFOGRAPHIC]

Forbes released their Top 50 Social Media Power Influencers of 2013 on the 17th of April. This infographic shows stats and figures of the influencers in the top 50. Is there anyone else on the list you think should be there and why?
Frobes Infograph

Key Takeaways

• 50/50 men and women in the top 10
  • 41 from the top 50 are from USA
  • Boston has 6 people from the top 50; more than anywhere else

seftonmedia

Steven Sefton

Digital & Social Media Marketing Director, Sefton Media

I own my own digital life and it owes me a digital living. I write mostly here at Sefton Media, but you'll also find me writing at The Social Penguin Blog too. If you can't find me there, I'll be in one of the great communities on Google+. Big fan of the great outdoors and if I'm not behind a desk, I'm usually outside on top of a big hill somewhere in Scotland.

Comments

samfiorella
Posted on May 1st 2013 at 2:10AM

Steven,

This study has highlighted some truly brilliant and engaged people in the social media world. I won't question who is - or isn't - on the list as you request in your opening. I engage with many of them and am thankful for their time and insights.

However, I must call out that fact that this report is based on a "social analytics" tool, that identifies experts in "social media" but only measures "Twitter engagement." The infographic states "Social media is a very democratizing form of communications" but then limits engagement to Twitter. Do you see the problem with this?

This is clearly a blogger outreach/marketing tactic employed by the software firm - and good for them. It worked.It got you (and others) to post this infographic.  However, not sure it has a place on a blog that seeks to educate people on what social media is about and what value it has. At least not without a deep dive into the analtyics and methodologies that spawned the listing.

Such an analysis would have been much more valuable to your audience than this thinly veiled PR campaign. Why is Twitter chosen over other networks? Is there more power for brands who have influence on Twitter vs. other networks? Or is this a limitation of the analytics software?  What are the pros and cons of how Peek Analytics conducts their research?

That information would be worth reading.

seftonmedia
Posted on May 1st 2013 at 10:10PM

Hi Sam,

You may not have noticed my reply as I never clicked the reply button on your post.

I know if I never got an email saying I had a reply, I may not check back.

Steven

jkcallas
Posted on May 1st 2013 at 2:22AM

Steven just for the record "Forbes released their Top 50 Social Media Power Influencers of 2013 on the 17th of April." Was not Forbes who released the list, this is not Forbes list. List was published on Fobers Blog and was created by contrubotor who happanes to be blogger at Forbes. Just as a side note!

seftonmedia
Posted on May 1st 2013 at 11:19AM

Thanks for your input Jure.

seftonmedia
Posted on May 1st 2013 at 2:23PM

Hi Sam,

First of all I would like to say, I love your community on Google+ with Danny Brown, great insights into influence marketing and I'm on your side. I've pre-ordered the book too.

I believe influence can't be monitored by a score and I for one, don't want to be associated with a number either.

What I can say, is the infographic was fun to do, my first one and I have learned a lot from doing it.

To be monitored by just twitter influence and blogger outreach is no way an acurate influence score online as I would say I have more influence on other channels than twitter and even my blog for instance but when this report was made it clearly stated how the score was made.

You have a great insight into this, but what it does for others is it encourages them to do more or do better, so for that I'm happy to sift through the lists to see if I can find any encouragement and seek out better ways.

Thanks Sam, can't wait for the book to land in my letterbox.

Steven

LynetteRadio
Posted on May 3rd 2013 at 1:59PM

I'm always disappointed when large media outlets turn a blind eye to everything but Twitter. The report should read "Forbes Top 50 Twitter Influencers 2013"

Warren Whitlock
Posted on June 24th 2013 at 6:51PM

I usually take the Groucho Marx approach to exclusive lists, but this one was hard to ignore.

There are lmits on the accuracy for sure. I was pleased to see that Peek does shoot for real engagment, not follower counts or celebrity outside of social media.

Hard to imagine anyone actively talking to social media experts not using Twitter. It's not always the best tool, but a great match for social media topics.

At the end of the day, connections with real people make the diffrentce, not a tool or ranking.. real connections are human, no matter what medium

Warren Whitlock
Posted on June 24th 2013 at 6:51PM

seftonmedia
Posted on June 24th 2013 at 11:24PM

Very true Warren! We're all influencial in someway and a list does not make you influential. It's the connections you make and the things you do and not just say, that can lead the path to influence online. It's that human connection with two or more people, whether it be online or in real life that makes the difference. The list encourages people to do more and hopefully more of the correct things. Thanks Warren for commenting here and on my own blog too. By you making that connection and the effort to head over to my own blog which originates this infographic has gave you influence from me and these types of steps is what we need to teach people, that human connection you made through online methods.

Warren Whitlock
Posted on June 24th 2013 at 11:36PM

Yes. I find that the list is mostly another oporrtunity to network.

When someone tweets congrats, I usually answer with "thank you for making it possible" because I know influence is only what friends do for me :)

Sound trite, I know.. and some might wonder if I am just pretending to cover my ego. No way. My ego is big and I'm proud of it. :)

It's my ego that tells me that I don't want to try to be on a list, or should belittle any list that picks me. Took me many years to learn that it's okay to have help, and that more help comes when you recognize the equation of "do unto others..." is good marketing math

And a lot more fun.

seftonmedia
Posted on June 24th 2013 at 11:55PM

That is good marketing math.

It has to be about the fun as social is a fun event.

Cara Tarbaj
Posted on June 25th 2013 at 10:27PM

There are a lot of accurate comments on this post. I agree with Lynn that the term "social media power influencers" should probably say "Twitter power influencers."

I would think that Brian Solis and most definitely Brian Clark would be on here. I mean, Copyblogger is a no-brainer for me.

Then again, there are a few people on this list that I haven't heard of before and perhaps they are most deserving.