Technology & Data
Social Change Agent Survey: Passion, Skill Set, and Persistence Lead to Career GrowthSandy Carter's 6 Social Business Lessons to Learn from Candy Crush5 Tips for Creating a Company Culture that Connects with Your Sweet Spot ClientsWhy Leadership Should Be a Collaborative Exercise
8 Internet User Statistics Every Small Business Should Know AboutCan't Find Time for Social Media? This Approach Will Help6 Ways to Turn Your Small Business into a Media Hub
- Social Organization
Beyond Engagement: Why Advocacy Is Always About the PeopleFormer IBM Senior Advisors Launch Brands Rising to Build Employee Advocacy ProgramsPerformance and Risk Management Through Social Media TrainingEmployee Advocacy Summit: Advocate Stories from the Field
- Customer Service
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Future Development of Online Marketing in Social Media Networks
Posted on December 22nd 2013
Not so long ago, social media was considered a novelty of the Internet. Any attempt of advertising was handled by so called ''experts'' of social media marketing. Today, things are a bit different. Exponential distribution is changing the world as we know it, which is subsequently changing the way we think and act. Everything leads to connecting the world through social media, which is a great place to employ different types of marketing.
Adjusting the market to an individual or group with same interests has become the key aspect of modern marketing. Seeing as how connecting people with same interest is one of the main characteristics of social media usage, it presents itself as welcoming all types of modern marketing to come in the future. This article will now continue to elaborate the impact that social media networks will have on future online marketing.
Web 3.0 Concept
Web 030 is a technology we didn't have to wait for too long. Web 2.0 has just become the standard, and we already have Web 3.0 fast approaching. It is estimated that it will last between the years 2013 and 2020. Its development is moving rapidly and we already know of some solutions that will contribute to speeding up the Web.
Semantic Web is a term coined by Tim Berners Lee. It is not a stand-alone type of Web, but more of an extension to the already existing one. Information is now given a clearer, better defined meaning, which improves cooperation between people and computers.
The Structure of Semantic Web
While the job of HTML (Hypertext MarkUp Language) is presenting data on the Web, the structure of Semantic Web is divided into three parts:
1. XML (eXtensible Markup Language) - determines the structure of data,
2. RDF (Resource Description Framework) - the central protocol of the Web, when it comes to semantic connections. It is based on the W3C standard (World Wide Web Consortium), and it defines the semantic relationship between electronic sources.
3. Ontologies – the most important element. Ontologies make the pillar of Semantic Web technology.
The most important aspects related to Semantic Web:
- Meta data – used in searching for information. An annotation is an example of Meta data.
- Indexing and accessing information – Semantic Web is supposed to go beyond indexing key words and alphabetical indexing. It will redefine searching for information by using concepts and categories.
- Mechanical data collection – the software itself determines what data it needs and how to access it, and then collects it.
- Intelligent software agents – an agent is someone or something that represents, and works for the user. The software agents would work independently, cooperating with other software agents in order to find the desired information for the user. The network of agents that are cooperating with each other will have to know how to state its purpose by using specifically designed vocabulary, or language.
This concept changes the very approach to marketing and the way it affects potential consumers.
Web 3.0 Marketing
The key factors of Web 3.0 Marketing are new ways of searching for information, ''smarter'' information, and a more approachable Web. Web 3.0 marketing is a convergence of new technologies and fast changes of consumer trends. The Web 3.0 marketing world is home to information that will be available on all devices, from all parts of the globe.
Here are the main components of Web 3.0 marketing:
- Microblogging –the ability to share your thoughts in an already defined number of characters. People are busy, in a hurry, and they want the gist of things. That is why you need to make it short to be heard.
- Virtual worlds – places where users go to interact with each other in a 3D environment. They can host dates, parties, and various events.
- Customization/Personalization – enables users to create personalized web pages. People continuously expect their names to show up on top of various web pages on the Internet. They want personalized emails, as well as suggestions for shopping according to their needs. Since the web is getting smarter, personalization is becoming the standard.
- Phone applications – they exist because billions of people in the world use mobile phones. A number much greater than PC users. Consumers browse the web and expect to be able to make purchases directly on the phone.
This post was inspired by innovative online marketing ideas to help you promote your business.