Technology & Data
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
How to Get Your Sales and Marketing Teams to Work in HarmonyContent Marketing for Midsized Companies: Whom to Target, What to CreateAtri Chatterjee of Act-On Software on the New Generation of MarketersMarketing Automation: What It Is and Why You Need to Know
- Social Tools
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Getting Your Branded Facebook Page Address
Posted on July 26th 2013
Have you set up your own branded Facebook Address for your Facebook business page?
Get It Sooner Rather Than Later
If you haven't done so already you should, before another person or business grabs it for their own. This might not be an issue for brands like Coca Cola and Nike who can PROVE ownership of their brand quite easily. But for micro and small business owners this is often a different story.
Most micro and small business owners or brands would find it difficult, if not impossible, to convince Facebook that someone else is using a brand name for their Facebook page that belongs exclusively to them.
Get It To Make Promoting Your Page Easier
Having a distinct Facebook address ... like facebook.com/MagnetiteJewelry or facebook.com/KarlasSpecialteas...makes it much easier to promote your Facebook page in print and online. The alternative is a Facebook issued page name like https://www.facebook.com/pages/Graces-Coffee-Cups/158990009556312. Try putting THAT on your business card - or anywhere else for that matter!!
Get It By Following These Steps
Creating a Facebook Address for your business page is straight forward. Just follow these steps:
- Go to your 'Admin Panel'
- Click on 'Edit Page' (top right side of page)
- Click on 'Update Page Info'
- Look for 'Page Address' (second line) and click on 'edit'
- Click on 'change web address'
- Enter your business name (see tips on this below)
- Check availability and save
Tips For Creating Your Distinct Web Address
- When deciding on your Facebook page address (or any social network distinct URL) aim for consistency. In other words, if your business name is Grace Coffee Shop but your website is www.GraceCoffee.com then consider using GraceCoffee as the distinctive part of any social network addresses. Only use GraceCoffeeShop if that is how your website URL or if you can't get GraceCoffee for your social networks because someone else already has it (not ideal).
- Limit the distinctive part of your address to 15 characters if possible. For some networks (i.e. Twitter) this is the maximum number of characters you can use.
- Title case the distinctive part of the address (i.e. facebook.com/MagnetiteJewelry stands out more, online and in print, than facebook.com/magnetitejewelry).
As Facebook makes changes to its administrative areas from time to time, the process might be a bit different if you're attempting to do this some time after the writing of this article. However, chances are the process will be somewhat similar or easy to figure out.
Also, in some cases Facebook now asks you to select your unique Facebook address when you create your account. In that case, keep in mind the Tips for Creating Your Distinct Web Address.
Facebook currently allows you to change your unique address two times. After that you're out of luck.