Google+ Changes Shared Link's Post Preview With Larger Images

Avtar Ram Singh
Avtar Ram Singh Digital Marketing Manager, Circus Social

Posted on March 15th 2014

Google+ Changes Shared Link's Post Preview With Larger Images

While many remain skeptical about the popularity or eventual success of Google+, I for one am quite happy with the experience Google+ provides. I’m a part of some interesting communities where I often find interesting discussion taking place, and often it’s a little more fun to go through my Google+ feed rather than my Twitter feed because it’s a lot more visual.

Today, I noticed that Google+ had taken a leaf out of Facebook’s book, and had changed the way link-shares were being displayed. After sharing an article about Moz, I noticed that the image being shown in the share was a lot larger than I had previously encountered across Google+.

Here’s what the post looks like:

For someone who rejoiced when Facebook started showing larger images in link-share posts, this was one of the pieces in the Google+ puzzle that has given me considerable satisfaction. I won’t quote the 500 stats about how images get shared more than text and all that drivel, because we’re all well aware of this fact. People like visuals, and Google+ just made that tiny change to give us a more visual feed.

I took a look at some other pages to see what their posts looked like, and sure enough, one of Mashable’s recent shares also has a nice large image attached to the link:

The change doesn’t seem to have affected link-shares posted earlier. Here’s one of my previously shared posts:

As you can see, it still has a fairly small image showing up in the preview, even though the source image is large enough for Google+ to spread it across like it’s doing with newer link-shares.

Previously, I found myself attaching images to Google+ posts just to attract people’s attention, but now since the visual is being given a considerable amount of space in the post preview – hopefully we can focus a little more on what truly matters – the content.

Avtar Ram Singh

Avtar Ram Singh

Digital Marketing Manager, Circus Social

Avtar Ram Singh is a social media strategist who values good content over all else. Having worked with global agencies and brands as well as fledgling  start-ups, he helps brands and marketers from various verticals with their advertising and social strategies on a global scale. He's always around on Twitter and you can also find him on Google+.

Comments

MCCCODE
Posted on March 15th 2014 at 8:12AM

noticed the same, but still has some issues crawling all sites

Avtar Ram Singh
Posted on March 15th 2014 at 12:44PM

Scrolling through my feed on G+, I'm just noticing that they seem to have reversed the change. All link images now seem to be appearing smaller - are you getting the same?

MCCCODE
Posted on March 16th 2014 at 12:16PM

yes it seems that all has gone back to same old format.

probably something to wait for in the future, a G+ live test.

I believe Part of the reason is that G+ crawlig was not able to provide that particular view for all (or the majority of sites). I tried it with popular and recognizable publications and the view was the old (present) mode.

Randy Milanovic
Posted on March 15th 2014 at 3:34PM

Yes, most have reverted. However, some large image posTs I tested are still viewing large.

Posted on March 27th 2014 at 2:56PM

Is anyone else having trouble with the image Google+ is pulling for the preview? I have a blog on Wordpress and it seems to be pulling the background image instead of the featured image.

Help!

Avtar Ram Singh
Posted on March 28th 2014 at 2:54AM

Hey SBattaglia, when I shared an article yesterday I was able to choose which image I wanted to share with the link on Google+.

anithaaaa
Posted on April 22nd 2014 at 6:22PM

G+ is showing my profile picture instead of the post picture when sharing post from my Google blog. It shows a very large view of the profile picture as shown here. I tried some other posts also, but still same problem. Is this a new update?

stephenrusselcrane
Posted on April 28th 2014 at 7:47PM

Are there any updates on this? I am trying to get google+ to consistantly pull larger images from my blog. Sometimes the image is small with content to the right and sometimes it's full size. I've checked the page source for both and I've got images that are 700x400 being pulled in from the og:image tag as well as an image defined by schema's image type. The facebook open graph tester verifies that both pages have the correct image assocaited with it. Also, Google's structured data testing tool verifies that the correct image is associated with article. According to this google developers page, ( https://developers.google.com/+/web/snippet/ ) the snippet that makes up a google+ post is created from a couple different factors but the first factors are schema microdata and open graph. Any thoughts as to why it isn't consistantly formatting my google+ posts when these tools verify that the image associated with the post is 700x400?

Avtar Ram Singh
Posted on April 29th 2014 at 2:45AM

Hey Stephen, I haven't had that problem with the links I've shared on Google+ on my feed, but I usually do have images that are much bigger than what you mentioned, just the way my blog is laid out.

Just saw an article that said 500x500 would be a good size to go with - did you try that out? Perhaps the 400 pixel height isn't working too well for you.

stephenrusselcrane
Posted on April 29th 2014 at 2:17PM

I'll give that a whirl. It's just wierd because sometimes google+ displays the image large and sometimes it's small even tho the image supplied is always 700x400..