At Social Media Today we’re always working to bring you the latest insights into the world of social media marketing. Our newsletter can help deliver that directly to you daily.

Explore more:

Green Eggs & Facebook: 15 Social Media Tips from Dr. Seuss

drsuess2 Green Eggs & Facebook:  15 Social Media Tips from Dr. Suess

The older I get the more I realize how smart my mother & Dr. Suess are.

Yes, Dr. Seuss may have some crazy rhymes and guys drawn in his books. However, if you look at the core of his thoughts and words, the man was brilliant. I think he can teach us some nice lessons in regard to social media.

1. “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”
-Authenticity and transparency in social media is the green in the green eggs and ham.  I like realness Sam I am! Don’t be somebody different offline than you are on Twitter and Facebook.  There is one you.

2. “Be who you are and say what you feel because those that matter don’t mind and those that mind don’t matter!”
Quit worrying 24/7 about what everyone thinks of you. Build your plan, work your plan and get out there!  Yes you will need to manage your brand, reputation and image online. However, make it real!

3. “Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.”
-Are you laid off, fired from corporate or plain just quit? Out of a job, quit cryin’. It’s a blessing. Get on with your life and build your life in your own way!

4. “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.”
-You’re in love with the Twitter bird and you know it! If you’re dreamin’ of him, it’s a fact.

5. “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…”
-If this isn’t the truth!  Take charge of your life. Go, people go! Think of the communities you can build, the business you can win and the people you can connect with if you only try! Quit following in your competitors footsteps. Make your own path and make it happen!

6. “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
-This one makes me think of how complicated we make social media.   The newbie questions of what’s a retweet, what’s a tweet vs a twit and the list goes on.  The best advice I give people is “just do it!”  The answers are simple if you only engage.

7. “A person’s a person, no matter how small.”
-Just because you have tens of thousands of followers on Twitter, it doesn’t make you any better than the guy who is new to Twitter and has 8.  You were there once too.  That person is a person and  in reality probably smarter than you!

8. “The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
-Listen and learn. Read, engage, watch your mentors, learn from them.  You’ll soon learn and build your own track.

9. “We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.” -Dr Sues
-I love this one! Reminds me of all the awesome people I have met on Twitter. Late nights, early morning, I love my Tweet buddies. I have met people from around the world.  We all have a bit of quirky weirdness in our walk.  Let it quirk and you’ll find other quirkers!

10. “Being crazy isn’t enough.”
-Being a crazy bird isn’t enough. Yes, have humor. However, you need to add value.  Inspire, educate and engage with your audience. Don’t just blast craziness!  Don’t approach social media like a crazy bird out of the crazy cage. Yes, you may be excited you learned how to tweet, but put some sense into those 140 characters!

11. “From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!”
-Social media is filled with humor. Just look around. Do a search on Twitter for the term “get more followers” and you’ll see just how many funny crazies there are who think they are making progress spamming.  Embrace the humor of social media folks.

12. “I meant what i said and i said what i meant. An elephant’s faithful one-hundred percent!”-Dr Suess
-Stick to your words and make your words stick!

13. “Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!”
–Think bigger than the tweet, faster than a zoom and what you can do if you reached for the moon! Be different. Be bold. Stand out from the crowd.

14. “In my world, everyone’s a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!”
-This one reminds me of the people who think social media is free, that social media alone is going to save their business.  Get over it folks! Social media is far from free.  It doesn’t enable you to eat rainbows and it sure as heck does not poop butterflies. It poops bad ROI and negative brand equity if you don’t manage it and plan. Build your plan and work your plan!

15. “How did it get so late so soon?”
-Happens to me every night on Twitter. I am just getting into it and I pass out on the laptop.  If only there were more hours in the day. My how time flies when you’re having fun!

And I will close with my all time favorite Dr. Suess quote:

“You’re off to Great Places!  Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So… get on your way!”

Go get-r-done peeps!

*Important Note:  The above quotes are either from Dr. Seuss or inspired by Dr Seuss.

Join The Conversation

• Arron Daniels's picture
    Sep 6 Posted 5 years ago Arron Daniels

I just came across this article!  Amazing! "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." ~Dr. Seuss

• Apr 12 Posted 5 years ago Nicole Lakusta (not verified)

Pam, you inspired me to take your thoughts and put them into an online magazine format so that I could share your collection and Dr. Seuss' wisdom to our group of administrators and tech leader-teachers. Here's the result http://issuu.com/nlakusta/docs/drseusstipsonsocialmediabook. Next week, our group will be talking about how they use their mobile technology (in this case smartphones) to access info, connect with others, apps being utilized, etc. Thanks for the conversation starter!

• Dec 23 Posted 6 years ago Stephanie LH Ca... (not verified)

Pam -

Fun post.  Many children's books teach us good lessons, but Dr. Seuss has a fun way of teaching us without us directly observing it!  I like how you tied the quotes to social media and expanded on the thoughts.  I think you could do that with many different industries.

Oh the Places You Will Go...  We give this book to everyone we know that graduates along with our own commentary in the book.  It is a good reminder no matter how old you are.  There will be good times and not-so-good times, but you have the ability to make a difference if you recognize your own personal power.

Thanks for the fun.

• Dec 13 Posted 6 years ago DrShannonReece Pam, Who doesn't love the simple, but timeless messages by, or inspired by Dr. Seuss?! Thanks for bringing a delightful view of social media. My favorites are #1 and #5. Being who we truly are is the key to happiness in life and in business. And we are the only ones who can steer our lives. Those who disagree with that statement just don't realize that they may have given up control, and are the only ones who can take it back. Can't wait to share this on FB today! Such fun! Shannon
    Dec 11 Posted 6 years ago PamMoore

I agree Leslie-Ann. I think that is what makes Dr Seuss a favorite for so many.  His words are so simple, yet not. They have such meaning in such a simple way.  Glad to hear you enjoyed it!  Appreciate your comment.

Dec 11 Posted 6 years ago PamMoore

Thanks so much Dabney! Appreciate the sharing!

Dec 11 Posted 6 years ago PamMoore

Thanks for your insight Philip.  Based on your note I have added a note to the post stating the quotes are from or inspired by Dr Seuss. You raise valid points. There may be quotes we think are his due to the wide sharing on the internet. I'll check out your books too. I always have been a huge fan or Dr Seuss.

• Dec 10 Posted 6 years ago Philip Nel (not verified)

Although I applaud your interest in sharing the wisdom of Dr. Seuss (please note spelling), many of these quotations are apocryphal.  He never said "quotations" 2 or 3 — I know, many websites attribute these words to him, but he never said them.  It's also highly unlikely that 4, 6, and 9 are also from Seuss.  I've read all of Seuss's interviews, and published two books on him.  Many of the social media tips here may be sound advice, but they have no connection to Dr. Seuss.

• Dec 9 Posted 6 years ago Dabney Porte (not verified)

Love, Love, Love this post Pam!  I am off to spread it across the world now!  Thanks for sharing in such a delightful way!  xoxo

• Dec 9 Posted 6 years ago Jaimie Skultety (not verified)

I love this post!!! Hysterical.  So poignant and relevant indeed. I'm happy to share this via Facebook and Twitter.  Great work.  Applause, applause!.

• Dec 9 Posted 6 years ago Anonymous (not verified)

very whitty and helpful!

• Dec 9 Posted 6 years ago Denise Butchko (not verified)

Love love love it - terrific post - thanks so much!

• Dec 7 Posted 6 years ago BettyLaVerne (not verified)

Imagine, if Dr. Seuss and shel Silverstein were Tweeting today!

You did great with this! Social Media should always be fun, even in business. The viral videos tickle us the way this post does! TX for sharing. Yes, I confess to multiple weirdness, but, I know how to make a hippopotamus sandwich!

• Dec 6 Posted 6 years ago Leslie-Ann Drummond (not verified)

Pam this is a great and clever post. Just goes to show, no matter how things change, the truths in life stay the same.

• Dec 3 Posted 6 years ago Jean

Pam,

I'm glad that I came across your post. Dr. Seuss' sayings are truely true and they inspire me a lot - thank to you :) Since you share this amazing post, I want to share, too.

Recently I was introduced to ZingZag!Studio by my co-worker. It's an amazing tool that allows you to organize your multimedia materials into digital canvas(es) - just drag and drop; then embed or share with others on facebook, twitter, blog, etc. I found it great for business to market their names. The best thing is the software is totally FREE and available at their website at www.zingzag.com

ZingZag! has helped my business to stand out (specially on facebook) :-)

Regards,

Jean.

Dec 3 Posted 6 years ago PamMoore

Thanks so much Suzanne! What a compliment.

Have a wonderful day and weekend!

Dec 3 Posted 6 years ago PamMoore

Schelli - thanks so much! Your comment just made my day! I love when I can inspire people and put a smile on their face. So happy to hear.

I agree with you on the grocery store bagger job! I tell the neighborhood teens every time I go to Publix and they help me out with my groceries the same thing.  I always tell them to do their best at whatever their job is and it will pay off! Be the best grocery store bagger, shopping cart rounder upper or cashier you can be!

Dec 3 Posted 6 years ago PamMoore

Thanks Randy! #9 & 10 are also two of my favs.  Yes, we're all a little "quirky".  My thought is roll with the quirk!

Have a great day and thanks for the comment!

• Dec 3 Posted 6 years ago Randy Clark (not verified)

What a fun post. And, you accomplished #10.

I had to refocus on # 9. He took my thoughts before I had them. Huh? I have always thought we are all insane (weird is better) and gathered people around us with similar insanity. I probably read this as a kid and forgot. Thank you kind Doctor.

• Dec 3 Posted 6 years ago Schelli Whitehouse (not verified)

Pam, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post.

I read it out loud to my husband and just made both our days brighter.

Yes, enjoy life! Our work should always touch others in a meaningful way, even if you're a bagger at a grocery store. Your post certainly touched me today.

Thank you!

~Schelli

• Dec 3 Posted 6 years ago Suzanne Kiraly (not verified)

This was brilliant - "out of the mouths of babes", they say! Reminded me of Robert Fulghum's " everything I ever needed to know I learned in kindergarten."

Congratulations on a well written and informative post!

Suzanne

Dec 2 Posted 6 years ago PamMoore

William, thanks for your comments!  I agree it is very relevant to social media.  However, after I wrote this post and started receiving such a positive response, it really got me thinking (imagine that - ha).  Really, many of his quotes could relate to almost any industry, business or life in general.

Many of our clients complain they don't know what to write about or their content is boring.  I believe that yes, some people simply can't write content that others desire to read.  However, I also believe that some write only biz speak and it's boring because everyone writes the same business speak.

The key is to be different. I try to inhale life every day. I let the conversations, sounds and even my kids inspire me. I am a geek to the core I guess. Even a discussion with a toll road ticket manager can inspire me on some type of blog post.

My point is that people need to look past their walls of the office and business to find and write good content. Get out there and enjoy life! Imagine the places you'll go if you only try!

Dec 2 Posted 6 years ago PamMoore

Thanks Jill! I can relate to each one as well.  He is a great inspiration for me at least a couple times a week :)

Dec 2 Posted 6 years ago PamMoore

Anonymous - yes, typos can happen to even Thing 1 and Thing 2. Joking. No really, it was a typo. I had it right the first time, changed the title and then caught it. Social Media Today had picked it up in the feed. Thanks for catching though.

Yes, several of them are popular on the internet so may seem hippy dippy. You'd be surprised how many Dr Seuss quotes there are that are not main stream.

Thanks for your comment.

Dec 2 Posted 6 years ago PamMoore

Great, happy to hear! Made me smile too :)

Dec 2 Posted 6 years ago PamMoore

Thanks for your comment Gregory.  Good advice for anyone to brush up skills and learn the latest in regard to online marketing.  There is definitely demand for good business people who can do good marketing. The key focus is on business first with ability to use marketing to drive biz! Congrats to you for going back to school. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on where life takes you!

Dec 2 Posted 6 years ago PamMoore

Wow, thanks so much Anne-Marie.  Pleased you like it! This one came so easy. Funny how even on the days you don't think you feel like writing if you find something that inspires yourself you can end up inspiring others. Appreciate the comment and kind words!

• Dec 2 Posted 6 years ago Anne-Marie (not verified)

Brilliant! Well done and all true @PamMktgNut ... your corollaries are spot on! Now... off to retweet!

• Dec 2 Posted 6 years ago william anderson (not verified)

I love this, Dr. Suess so true to life, so relevant to social media

• Dec 1 Posted 6 years ago Kristy Pool (not verified)

I love Dr. Seuss and this post makes me smile! Great application too, who knew!

• Dec 1 Posted 6 years ago Anonymous (not verified)

First of all, it's Dr. Seuss, not Suess.

And at least three of these quotes are random hippy-dippy internet meme quotes, not Dr. Seuss quotes.

• Dec 1 Posted 6 years ago Jill Celeste (not verified)

This is a great post - love the Dr. Seuss quotes! How true each one is!

Jill =)