Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Hands on With Facebook Graph Search – Here's What You Should Know
Posted on January 23rd 2013
- Search results are prioritized by a user’s connections, meaning things that their friends or friends of friends have said, done or recommended publicly on Facebook.
- Search results will vary from user to user.
- There are 12 results served per page.
- The search results page can be filtered by a few options:
- Place type – Restaurant, Bar, Gym, Café, Hotel, ext.
- Place category – More specific types of place.
- Liked by – Users can filter results by Me, My Friends, My Family, and other users that the person frequently interacts with.
- Name – Users and select a specific person and use them as a search filter.
- Places in – Filters results by cities the user has visited.
- Places near – Filter by places near the user or cities the user has visited.
- Visited by – Filters results by places visited by a user’s friends
- Searches can be extended by:
- Photos of the places returned in search results.
- Friends who have visited the places returned in results.
- Videos from the places returned in results.
Search Result Details
- Profile Picture – This comes from the place page.
- Page Name
- Star rating & price rating if applicable.
- Category listings – The category the place is listed under. If there isn’t one, Facebook will assign one.
- Physical address
- Operating hours
- Check ins
- People the user knows who have visited the place
- Additional options
- Map listing – Shows the location on the map within the results page.
- Visitors – See all of the user’s connections who have visited
Factors That Could Impact Search Results
- Amount of the user’s friends who are also connected a place.
- User's friends who also like this place and their engagement actions.
- Friends of friends who are connected to the place page and their engagement actions
- Activity on the place page such as Likes, Comments, Shares, Check-ins.
- Edgerank of the place page.
- Number of fans on the place page.
- Place location in reference to the user who is searching. Places in proximity to user will likely have preference.
- Recommendations. These have a star rating which I am unsure of exactly where they are pulled from. It’s possible they pull from Yelp.
- Completely fill out “About” information, especially physical address & category. If category is left blank, Facebook will assign one for you. The more information that you provide Facebook, the better!
- Use more photos! Only directly shared photos and videos will show in photo and video searches.
- Continue to build the community. Strive to build an actionable Fan base and create engagement. Engagement creates stories, and stories create connections.
- Strive to create strong connections between users. A connection is created when a user engages with a content piece. Think of ways to encourage sharing within your community.