Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Holiday Shopping Goes Digital
Posted on November 24th 2012
Online shopping will break more records in 2012. E-commerce is quickly catching up to brick-and-mortar shopping and the importance of digital marketing has never been more important for retailers. The infographic below shows online shopping predictions for Black Friday and Cyber Monday.
Thanksgiving Day Weekend Shopping
- 226 million consumers visited stores and shopped online, up from 212 million in 2012.
- The average shopper spent $398.62
- In 2011 52.4 billion was spent, an increase of 16% from 2010 when 45 billion was spent shopping.
- Shoppers made 9.8% of their online purchases from mobile devices, up from 3.2% in 2010.
- Mobile traffic increased 14.3% in 2011 compared to 5.6% in 2010.
- Paid search increased 128%, making Black Friday 2011 the most ever spent on paid search.
- From 2010 to 2011 Black Friday sales were up 24.3%
- Online and Offline sales grew 39.3% at 11.4 billion, with 17.37% of shoppers visiting retailers' sites.
- From 2010 to 2011, Cyber Monday sales were up 33%.
- 10.8% used a mobile device to visit a retailer's site on Cyber Monday, up from 3.9% in 2010.
- Cyber Monday 2011 was the heaviest online shopping day in history at 1.25 billion in sales.
- Half of the dollars spent online at U.S. websites originated from work computers.
- 2011 Mobile sales were up reaching 6.6% on Cyber Monday vs. 2.3% in 2010.
- Social discussions leading up to Cyber Monday increased 115% YoY.
2012 Online and Mobile Shopping Predictions
- 16% of consumers will shop on mobile devices in 2012, up from 13% in 2011.
- Web shoppers who plan to visit stores will drop from 48% to 46%.
- The average consumer who shops online will make 6% of their holiday purchases from a mobile phone. 62% online and 32% in stores.