How to Claim a Facebook Page (That Isn't Yours)

Posted on April 16th 2013

How to Claim a Facebook Page (That Isn't Yours)

One question that I get asked frequently is how to merge duplicate pages on Facebook. If you are an admin of both pages, the process can be relatively simple. However, what happens if you are not the admin and there is a duplicate page about your business floating around out there? Don’t panic, there is a way to claim the duplicate page and then merge it with the official page even if you are not the admin. Of course, Facebook wants to make sure no shenanigans take place, so there is some verification involved. Want to claim a page that’s not yours?  All you have to do is follow these (somewhat) simple steps!

1) Go to the place page that you wish to claim and click on the settings drop down beside the message button. Select the appropriate option. In this case, we will select “Is this your business”.

How to claim a Facebook Page step 1

2) Once “Is this your business?” is clicked a pop-up will show asking if you are the official representative of the company/page. Check the box.

How to claim a Facebook Page step 2

3) A screen will be shown asking you to confirm your relationship to the business. Fill in all relevant information including the publicly listed phone number.

How to claim a Facebook Page step 3

4) Next, you will be asked to select the phone number in which Facebook will call to verify the information. Select the phone number and click submit.

How to claim a Facebook Page step 4

5) A new box will show displaying the number that Facebook will call. You may also select a preferred language. An automated system will call your phone and give you a 4 digit pin.

Once you have the code, input it where directed in the next box. The method I showed here outlines the phone number verification method. There are 2 other ways to verify including using an email address that includes your business’s name or official documentation that has the business’s name, address and phone number on it. The times I have tried to verify via phone, Facebook actually was busy so it might take a few attempts.

Do you have duplicate pages about your business out there?

Nate Mendenhall

Nathan Mendenhall

Manager, Cendyn/ONE

Nathan Mendenhall is a social media manager at Cendyn/ONE in Boca Raton, Florida. He has extensive experience with creating and implementing successful social media strategies for both B2B and B2C brands. Connect with him at @NCMSocial!

Comments

ecolston
Posted on April 16th 2013 at 3:56PM

I need to do this for my company, but when I click the settings in step 1, my only options are: "Add to Interests Lists, Like As Your Page, Create A Page, Share, Send Feedback, Report Page, Privacy and Terms." I am not given the option to select, "Is This Your Business".

What do you suggest?

Mary Beth Olson
Posted on April 16th 2013 at 7:29PM

Erica, the same thing happens to me. The buttons I see on my company's duplicate page are Like and Edit and I get the same options when I click as you when I click the drop-down next to Edit.  Our duplicate page is from Wikipedia.

bwadethompson
Posted on April 23rd 2013 at 4:01PM

Has anyone tried using a Local Business when doing this. Don't use your personal profile but use facebook as the business. I don't have a local business to try this but it may work.

Susan Shangle
Posted on September 2nd 2013 at 5:40PM

Mary Beth and Erica

I have the same issue (mine is Wikipedia a well) - we're a small town in New Zealand and are hoping to move the 1,400+ checkins to the page we admin.

If anyone got this sorted, would love to hear the answer.

Jen E
Posted on April 16th 2013 at 9:15PM

I'm in the same boat as Erica. There is no “Is this your business” option. So how do we proceed?

jpadriga
Posted on April 17th 2013 at 5:15AM

I have successfully done for my organization in the past. My concern now is that a new Facebook Group recently came out with members claiming to be representatives of our organization. None of the steps suggested here applies. How do we claim Facebook Group accounts?

Nate Mendenhall
Posted on April 17th 2013 at 12:42PM

Hi Jay,

That is a tough one. I will do some poking around and report back if i find anything. Sorry I cant be of more help with this. Unfortunately FB has a long way to go to help admins with this type of thing.

Nate Mendenhall
Posted on April 17th 2013 at 12:44PM

Hello everyone,

I had that experience as well. My best guess is that someone already admins that page actively OR the function isnt available to you yet. FB does everything in rollouts, so maybe its just not available. Have you tried reporting the pages to FB and following those steps?

Brad Williamson
Posted on May 30th 2013 at 4:11PM

My concern is that, as someone who doesn't have the "Is this your business?" option, I'll use the alternate method (Report this Page), run through the available steps, and the duplicate Page will be deleted instead of having the Likes merged with those of my official Page.

Got any words of comfort that will keep me from thinking this will be the case?

Chris ThePizzaman
Posted on September 2nd 2013 at 7:06PM

Hi,

I guess my problem is a little different. Maybe? I own a pizza shop and a customer made up a place of my business. 70+ likes. I made my own place now there are 2 pizza places. I have been trying to merge/claim it for a while. I read and watched your video and the only thing I found different is, I'm not the Administrator of the other place to try and merge them. I asked the person to deactivate his place but doesn't seem it's going to happen.
Any other tips I can try?

Robert Beauchamp
Posted on April 19th 2014 at 10:35AM

"Is this your business is not an option"