Technology & Data
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
How to Get Your Sales and Marketing Teams to Work in HarmonyContent Marketing for Midsized Companies: Whom to Target, What to CreateAtri Chatterjee of Act-On Software on the New Generation of MarketersMarketing Automation: What It Is and Why You Need to Know
- Social Tools
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
How to Claim Your Google Plus Custom URL for People and Business
Posted on October 31st 2013
Oooh, how exciting! I’ve been spending more and more time on Google Plus lately after listening to Guy Kawasaki tout the network at BlogHer’13 this past summer. Last night when I logged in to post some stuff I noticed at the top of my Google Plus page that for both the brand pages that I manage and my personal profile, all qualified as “preapproved for the Google plus custom URL”
Google says that in order to claim your custom URL for your brand or personal profile your account must be in good standing and must meet the following requirements:
Eligibility for People:
- Ten or more followers
- Your account is 30 days old or more
- A profile photo
Eligibility for Local Google+ pages: Must be a verified local business
Eligibility for Non-local Google+ pages: Must be linked to a website
How do you get your own custom URL?
- Click Get a custom URL button to get started in the header (as shown above). Or, alternatively, from the “About” tab on your Profile, click the “Get” link located under your Google+ URL.
- You’ll see the URL(s) you’ve been approved for. If you see more than one option, select the one you like best. You may also be asked to add a few numbers or letters to make the custom URL unique to you.
- Check the box to agree to the Terms of Service.
- Click Change URL.
- Google may ask you to verify your account by your mobile phone number. If you need to do this, you’ll see a box pop up asking you to do so.
a. Enter your mobile phone number.
b. Check the box to make it easier for people who have your phone number to find you on Google services.
c. Check your phone for the code that was sent to you.
d. Enter that code in the box.
e. Click Verify.
- Once approved, this URL will be linked to your Google+ page or Profile, so be sure everything is exactly the way you want it.
NOTE: Once your URL has been approved, you can’t request to change it. When you’re certain, click Confirm.
PRO TIP: Want to see all of the things any profile has +1′d? Simply add /plusones to the end of their URL, like this: https://plus.google.com/+TracySestili/plusones