How Does LinkedIn Grow Your Business?

CatherineLockey
Catherine Lockey C.E.O., oz 2 designs LLC

Posted on August 21st 2011

How Does LinkedIn Grow Your Business?

Linkedin Business Image

Social media marketing, part of digital marketing, is a great way to build relationships and grow your business. It’s no surprise Linkedin recently ranked as the second most popular social media platform in the world. If you’re not making the most of your Linkedin account, here are 7 steps to grow your business on Linkedin.

1.  Professional profiles only
Have you ever Googled your name? Nine times out of ten the very first thing you’ll see is your Linkedin profile. Linkedin has some powerful SEO mojo so think of your profile as your resume to the world.  Be sure it touts a decent photo of you, at least 5 glowing recommendations from others, and links to your professional websites.  Use keywords in your summary, link to your Twitter account if you have one, and link your business name to your Linkedin company profile listing.

2.  Regularly Share an update
Sharing an update is one of Linkedin’s best networking features. If you’re not using it, you’re missing out.   Why? Because every time you share an update your connections are notified via email as well as on Linkedin’s home page.  My recent update states, ” Training two PA and one MD company to blog using search engine optimized content.” In just a few words I let my connections know details about several services my company provides without the hard sell.  Social media is all about pull, not push marketing.

3.  Comment on an update
Respond to updates from others and show them you’re not always thinking about yourself.   Connecting with others is why Linkedin is social media. Remember, your comments mean something to the person who posted. Everyone loves to be noticed.

5.  Use a Linkedin app or two
For profile wow effect, as well as to better explain what you do, employ one or several Linkedin apps. If you have a Powerpoint presentation, load it to Slideshare and use the Slideshare app. If you blog, use the WordPress app.  Linkedin offers a variety of useful apps to choose from -  explore them and determine which best reflect you and your business.

6.  Join groups and interact appropriately
Although it’s a business oriented platform, Linkedin groups span both personal and professional interests.  A few of my favorite groups are Linked Locals Adams York, Martial Artists Black Belts, and Digital Marketing.  How does joining groups benefit you? Each group gives you the opportunity to meet new people who share your interests.  Often, group members pose discussion questions or post articles of interest. If moved, you should comment on group discussion posts as well as create discussion posts of your own. Avoid spamming, arrogance, or the hard sell. Social media doesn’t approve of these behaviors. Special bonus: After you comment on a discussion, Linkedin allows you to invite discussion participants to connect with you.  I’ve made a lot of interesting friends this way.

7.  Share blog posts with your groups
I consider this my best kept secret (until now). If you’re a blogger, share your blog posts with some or all of your Linkedin groups.  A notable one quarter of my blog traffic comes directly from Linkedin.

How do you use Linkedin to grow your business?
Linkedin is not a simple platform; rather, it is complex with many options and so I ask my readers this question:  How do you use Linkedin to grow your business?  Sharing your answers here is good for everyone, including you.  :)

CatherineLockey

Catherine Lockey

C.E.O., oz 2 designs LLC

Catherine Lockey is the chief executive officer of oz 2 designs LLC, a full service digital marketing agency. With over 25 years combined experience in marketing, education, counseling, and journalism, Catherine is the content marketer behind The Creative Marketing Channel. Connect with Catherine on LinkedIn, Facebook, and on twitter @oz2designs.

Comments

Posted on August 22nd 2011 at 2:35PM
Excellent advice, Catherine! I agree, I get a lot of traffic from LinkedIn too. After reading your post, I went back and updated my profile to make it more accessible. I also added the Slideshare app, which I hadn't known about. My best tip is to join groups and be active on them - it's a great way to meet people and build a relationship with them.
Posted on August 22nd 2011 at 2:55PM

Great tips Catherine. My #1 suggestion to business owners is to join groups in your industry and start answering the questions that are posted. This will show that you are an expert in your industry.

Posted on August 22nd 2011 at 10:00PM

Thanks Catherine. You're spot on. Completing a LinkedIn profile to 100% helps create a positive first impression. There's no point squandering the attention you get :)

I'm surprised that LinkedIn provide you so much blog traffic. I post links to my posts as status updates on LinkedIn and Twitter. I haven't cross-posted in Groups. I've seen others do this but that seems a tad spammish — reaching out to people who didn't ask to be contacted.

Posted on August 23rd 2011 at 9:03AM

Thanks for the article.  I have recently added social media to use for my staffing company.  I find it very different to market B2B on social media (I've used social media before, but only on B2C).

This article confirms that it's still worthwhile for me.  Thanks!  :)

Posted on August 23rd 2011 at 10:23PM

Great reminders, Catherine. I've been wanting to add one of my powerpoint presentations to my linked in profile and you've reminded me to do so with Slideshare. Thanks much!

Dawn

Posted on August 24th 2011 at 5:24AM

I've had a Linkedin account for a while but never really did anything with it until now. Never realized or understood the hype until now. I am still learning more and more about how to tweak it, but I am glad that I am starting to see the benefit of Linkedin. Thanks for the article.

Posted on August 24th 2011 at 9:11AM

Great points, and I agree Catherine.  LinkedIn is an excellent tool if used properly.  There are a lot of hidden features in there, so it pays to poke around and make your profile as robusts as possible.

Posted on August 24th 2011 at 12:42PM

Great information you share here Catherine about Linkedin.  I enjoy sharing my tips and techniques with my clients.  I agree with @mActuary that you must have a 100% completed Linkedin profile to get strated on the right foot with Linkedin.  Plus, you can take portions of your completed profile to other social platforms which builds a more consistent awareness about you, your busines, products and services which your visitors will then remember you.  In other words, it is the perfect branding tool.

Groups are the best way to start building your connections and community.  Yes it will help you to build your expertise but also you can start making those important alliance connections and opportunities for JV partners.

I don't believe that sharing your posts to your groups is 'spammy' because you recv a summary of the groups discussions, and you can quickly review the titles of all the discussions, or search for a specific keyword and just jump in on those discussions.  It is a great way to interact with others that are interested in what you might have to say.

Posted on August 25th 2011 at 5:57PM

Congratulations Catherine on a great article in such a prestigious location :) I like Linkedin because it is strictly professional - no pics of my adorable pup allowed! In addition to all the value you state, I think the ability to connect with someone you need/want to talk to who is 2 degrees away by getting an introduction from someone in their first line connections is very powerful. For instance, I have 543 contacts. But 2 degrees away, I have 250,000+ - that is huge. Saves on cold calling and getting past gate keepers!

Posted on August 26th 2011 at 7:50AM

Great article and advice Catherine!