How Facebook is Enriching the College Experience

CliffFigallo
Cliff Figallo Former senior editor for SMT, Now an Indie Consultant

Posted on October 13th 2011

From onlinephd.org, via our friend Jen Rhee (@jenicarhe), comes this infographic covering the part being played by Facebook in today's college experience.

Facebook University
Created by: Online PhD

CliffFigallo

Cliff Figallo

Former senior editor for SMT, Now an Indie Consultant

Former SMT Senior Editor, currently a social media analyst/consultant. Now find me here as username Cliff Figallo.The quintessential online communities and social media veteran and expert. Founding director of The WELL, author of Hosting Web Communities ('98) and Building the Knowledge Management Network ('02).

Comments

Posted on October 14th 2011 at 5:19PM

Hi Cliff, thank you for sharing this uber awesome infographic. I remember when I was in college as a President of our organization, Facebook serves as my platform to disseminate information for our org activities and it also became a freedom board for the members to post their questions and suggestions.

Yes, it may be addictive and affect students' academic performance but the key here is DISCIPLINE. Know when to use Facebook, and when to face the book.

Posted on October 17th 2011 at 1:00PM

Awesome Data Cliff, and as you put it Good or bad depends on how one uses Facebook. Facebook certainly has made the experience more open and democratic. Connecting with students, professors and the everyone in the eco system certainly helps. However, it's tough to keep using Facebook as a tool and not get addicted. :)

Buzz Quotient
Posted on October 17th 2011 at 1:02PM

Posted on October 24th 2011 at 1:07PM

Facebook definitely has a tremendous effect on today's youth. I remember a couple of years ago people would ask me 'do you have Facebook?' and today they just assume you already have it.

Posted on January 23rd 2012 at 9:41AM
Interesting numbers. I didn't expect Facebook to have such a major influence on education although I'll have to admit that I used Facebook a lot during my online msn programs, it just seemed like way to easily reach other people so it saved a lot of time but also it allowed us to build our school projects online and that was essential for us.
CliffFigallo
Posted on January 23rd 2012 at 8:11PM

Again, credit for the infographic goes to onlinephd.org for its creation and to Jenn Rhee for bringing it to us. I appreciate the comments.