- Content Marketing
Let's Measure Social Media ROI in a Way That Isn't StupidTo Grow Your Social Marketing Budget, Determining ROI Is a Critical Job SkillWe Need to Rethink Our Definition of Engagement
When Your Customers Become Your Contributors: Brand Journalism Meets TraditionalGoogle Is Changing the Close Variant Matching Option in AdWordsBefore You Invest in Online Advertising, Do This!Native Advertising: The New New Thing or a Race to the Bottom? [VIDEO]
Technology & Data
Social Change Agent Survey: Passion, Skill Set, and Persistence Lead to Career GrowthSandy Carter's 6 Social Business Lessons to Learn from Candy Crush5 Tips for Creating a Company Culture that Connects with Your Sweet Spot ClientsWhy Leadership Should Be a Collaborative Exercise
8 Internet User Statistics Every Small Business Should Know AboutIs Your Small Business Doing Content Marketing Wrong?5 Free and Effective Social Media Tools Perfect for Small Businesses
- Social Organization
Beyond Engagement: Why Advocacy Is Always About the PeopleFormer IBM Senior Advisors Launch Brands Rising to Build Employee Advocacy ProgramsPerformance and Risk Management Through Social Media TrainingEmployee Advocacy Summit: Advocate Stories from the Field
- Customer Service
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
How to Promote Your Blog Post
Posted on August 27th 2014
“I’m publishing great content on my blog just like they told me to … but my traffic is abysmal. How can I get my audience to read my posts?”
Much like the tree falling in the forest with no one around to hear it — you know, the one with the lousy publicist? — blog posts need a little help to reach the eager eyes of your audience. The Field of Dreams axiom “If you build it, they will come” made for good cinema, but it has no place in today’s crowded, noisy blogosphere. If you want people to read your stuff, you just have to hustle. No two ways about it.
Here are a few ideas to get you started. Each time you publish a blog post:
- Post a link to it on each of your social networks (including Pinterest if it includes a strong, unique visual).
- Submit each blog post URL to social bookmarking sites (StumbleUpon, Digg, etc.).
- Submit each post to your content curation sites on Internet Billboards, ShareBloc, BizSugar, etc.
- Post the link to your Facebook and LinkedIn Groups as applicable to the Group’s purpose.
- Invite the people in your tribe to subscribe to your RSS feed so that each post will be delivered to their email inbox or feed reader. (Learn more about RSS and feed readers)
- Include a link to your most recent blog post in your next e-newsletter.
- Email the link to clients who may find the content particularly useful. (“Hey Paul, I seem to recall you asking me about [topic] last time we met — thought you’d find this latest blog post of ours helpful …”)
- Bonus Tip I Learned From Guy Kawasaki: When you link to your post on Twitter, schedule four posts, eight hours apart, to make sure you hit all time zones.
How about you? How do you tell the world about your latest blog posts? Tell us in the Comments — we’d love to hear from you!