I Google+ circled, followed, liked, linked, bookmarked you, now what?

PamMoore
Pam Moore Owner/Partner, Marketing Nutz, LLC

Posted on July 24th 2011

I Google+ circled, followed, liked, linked, bookmarked you, now what?

Fotolia 30906168 S I Google+ circled, followed, liked, linked, bookmarked you, now what?  Wow, is it me or is it starting to be more and more steps to follow someone.

We round em’ up in circles. We click the Facebook like, send and share buttons. We accept or invite them to LinkedIn.  And if they’re lucky we may even opt-in to their email list via their blog or website.

So now that we have spent half a morning circling, liking, following and plussing people what will we do with all those we liked, followed, plussed and circled yesterday? Or how about the 15 we did the same thing to the day before? And the day before. And the day before that?

A tweet, Google+, or Facebook post grabs our attention. Within seconds we get lost in never ever ending like land.

But why do we like! Why do we circle? Do we really like them? Or do we circle them so they will circle us?

Our time is our greatest asset. Even the moments you spend roundin’ up peeps via clicks, like and circles should be spent wisely!

Do more than circle, like & follow.  Are you reading what you like? Do you know or even like the person you circled? Or are you simply circling them because everyone else is?

The real question is who likes you? Who follows you? Who knows you? Who likes you? Who is inspired by you? Are you being put in the acquaintances or the “gotta read” circles?

To truly succeed in social media we need to do more spend our days roundin’ folks up in circles. We need to focus on developing real conversations that are relevant and provide value.

Don’t get lost in the circle, plus and numbers game!

At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter who is in your circles. What matters is the people you know in your circles and the people who know you. What circles are you in? Who knows you?

Do tell me, what Google+ circles are you in?

7 Tips to Maximize Your Circles, Likes, Follows & More!

1. Don’t just follow for numbers. Look past following numbers, Klout scores, Peer Index rankings and number of circles. Look into the eyes and hearts of your community. Focus on how many people you genuinely connect with versus how many people you have on your lists.

2. Organize your following. Take the time to organize your lists, circles and likes. If you are new to social media you will be happy you did this at the beginning. I am one who didn’t and am now paying the price.

3. Prioritize where you spend your time. Don’t let yourself run off on some wild goose chase every morning.

4.  Keep a weekly double click list. These are the peeps you want to engage with. Take the time to visit and comment on the blogs that interest you. Interact and engage with them on Facebook or Twitter. Comment and talk with them on Google+.

5. Show the social love. If you focus on giving first and helping others succeed your success will come organically. Check out this article I wrote a while back on 26 Tips to Show the Social Love.

6. Don’t be afraid to purge. Schedule time every now and then to clean house. Don’t be afraid to unlike, unfollow, uncircle and unsubscribe if it gives you more space, more time to connect with people in a real way.

7.  Keep weekly thankful list. Focus in on a few people each week. You know, the ones who make you feel good. Let them know. Engage with them a bit more than you usually do. Help them achieve their objectives. Nurture your relationships in both a personal and professional way.

Thoughts?

Is your time spent circling, liking and roundin’ up peeps into your community delivering a return on investment in life and business? How do you organize your social house? How do you prioritize your time? Do you think some folks are getting too hung up in the circle, like and follow games?

PamMoore

Pam Moore

Owner/Partner, Marketing Nutz, LLC

Half marketing, half geek, social media addict, CEO & Founder of Marketing Nutz @MktgNutz, entrepreneur, speaker, trainer, coach. Lover of strategy, ROI, Brand, God, Family, Friends, Beach & Life! 15+ years of experience helping small startups to Fortune 100 companies, budgets teeny tiny to big in both B2B and B2C markets build brand awareness, grow new markets, develop communities and master ROI across all mediums! Industries of expertise include high technology, non-profit & fundraising, green eco-friendly, enterprise data storage, professional services and storage management, real estate and home building, natural lighting, database analytics & modeling, online marketing, as well as web 2.0 ecommerce for online retailers. http://www.themarketingnutz.com

Comments

Posted on July 24th 2011 at 9:45AM

Now what? Well here is a good example of a post gone viral on Google +.

I can't think of when a social post has performed better since our days on Digg in 2007 when front page was worth 200K in visitors.

Notice the comments, the shares and the +1s. I have rarely seen anything even from Mari Smith on Facebook do this well. So if I can do it, anyone can. Love to hear what you think of that Sean.... Do you see this as worthwhile? Can it make you money? Or warm up your followers?

Only time will tell if this can convert into something worthwhile....

Posted on July 24th 2011 at 2:21PM

Thank you for your article Pam I rather enjoyed reading it. What I am quite put back by is firstly the amount of questions you have put forward. Not sure if these questions are really what you are thinking or simply looking encourge debate :) I think the later!

There is one I would like to answer from my perspective and that is: <quote><i>So now that we have spent half a morning circling, liking, following and plussing people what will we do with all those we liked, followed, plussed and circled yesterday?</i></quote>

I think sometimes between all the technical jargon and looking into things too much, the main idea of Social networking sites seem to lost somehow. We all know that social networking sites are exactly that, to network socially with friends, family, interests and absolutly anything else one can think of and is interested in. So in my opinion, once we have circled, liked, followed etc... we wait for them to post. I feel this was not a question that needed to be asked or put forward. Let face is, have any of us ever followed people on twitter and constantly have an empty timeline? I am guessing not.

So to outline and to try to clarify this to other readers of your article, the answer to this is simply, wait for them to post something! If you have followed, circled or liked someone or some company it would be because you are interested in what they have to say or sell, therefore, when they post hopefully what you see will be of interest to you.

thenicebrian
Posted on July 24th 2011 at 4:48PM

I am amazed with the number of people who want to add me on facebook but won't connect on Linkedin.  Regarding Google Plus: it's flattering to have so many people wanting to have me in circles and on lists but I find few are really reaching out to talk or share. I have most ROI with strangers on twitter.

Posted on July 24th 2011 at 7:22PM

Do you ever think that maybe we're making this more complicated that it needs to be? Or perhaps I'm just odd because I primarily use social media to actually make new friends. Coming up with all these darn rules just feels like too much work. My general rule is that I follow/circle/link/befriend everyone who does the same to me, and I'll delete them if they turn out to be bigots. Simple enough.

Posted on July 25th 2011 at 10:27PM

Thank you for your tips.

Google+ is very easy to use !

I recommend it !

Céline

Posted on July 26th 2011 at 1:16AM

I don't think we need to connect on all platforms but need to offer them so that people can pick the ways they would rather connect.  I do agree that it's about quality and not quantity.  What's the point of being connected to thousands of people on LinkedIn if you have no clue who most of those people are.  And if people wanting to connect don't offer a reason to link up - like you've met before or you liked an article they wrote or you see synergies in what you both do - then why bother?  LinkedIn is like one big networking function - there are those who want to give their business card to anyone with a heartbeat and then there are those who hand out their card to those they've met and established a connection with.

I'd actually put off getting active on Twitter because I found it difficult enough keeping up with everything else. But I've now taken the first step and are slowly feeling my way round.  Thanks for the tips about keeping things organized, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Posted on July 28th 2011 at 9:49PM

I agree, time is important and figuring out how to use these tools effectively is crucial to not getting sucked into a wasteland. They can easily take up a whole morning and afternoon! I try to stick to things that will bring value to myself and others. There is so much noise out there to sort through. I like your comment about giving first. It does come back to you.

Posted on July 28th 2011 at 10:23PM

I tell my clients this all the time. If only I could get more people to understand. This is exactly why so many businesses get so little value from their social media.

Posted on August 9th 2011 at 7:38PM

You make the valid point that we need to focus our time and efforts where it will do us the most good. I personally don't feel you can spend an equal amount of time on every social network. I've joined a couple and I dropped out of one and I'm about to drop out of another one because I don't have time to participate in a meaningful way.