The New Facebook Insights and What They Mean for You

Posted on July 10th 2013

The New Facebook Insights and What They Mean for You

One of my biggest pet peeves with Facebook is the fact that their insights weren’t great. Many frequently asked client questions weren’t covered by Facebook Insights and a 3rd party tool was needed. To my delight, I received a prompt to check out the new Facebook Insights and so far I am very happy.  The new dashboard is broken up into four main sections: Overview, Page, Posts and People. Let's take a deeper look at each of these

Overview

This section gives you a 7 day snapshot of your page’s performance. Similar to the old Insights you can see overall page Likes, Reach and Engagement. Here you can also check out the performance of your 5 most recent posts detailed with stats about Reach, Post Clicks, Likes, Comments and Shares. The Overview section is pretty straight forward and features a more visually attractive layout.

Page

The Page section is filled with information about how your fan base has grown and how people are connecting with your Page. There is a ton of great information that is divided into 3 parts: Page Likes, Post Reach and Page Visits.

• Page Likes – Here you will find information about your Page’s Likes including total Likes, Net Likes and Where Your Likes Came From. This information is great for when you need to really get down to the nitty gritty about how your community grows and where the growth comes from.
  • Post Reach – The Post Reach section digs deeper into your content’s reach and the actions that influence it. Here you will find Overall Reach, Engagement Actions that Influence Reach and Negative Engagements such as Hide, Report as Spam and Unlikes. I am so happy they included these items as many clients ask why their reach may have dropped. Now there is no speculation. I wrote a blog about how Negative Engagements will impact EdgeRank some time ago and now I predict the conversations around them will begin to grow. If you notice youre reach increasing or decreasing, now you can learn more about why.
  • Page Visits – This section shows you information about what sections of your page get viewed the most including includes Page Tabs. There is also very useful information included here such as Other Page activity which outlines Mentions, Posts by Other People on Your Page and Checkins. Finally, a nice little graph outlines the number of times that people came to your Page from outside of Facebook. This is all great information for when you are trying to understand where your Facebook Traffic is coming from.

Posts

I am a BIG content nerd, so this section of the new Insights really excites me. Facebook provides you with information about All Posts, When Your Fans Are Online and Best Post Types. This section is a MAJOR improvement and provides a ton of great data.

• All Posts – Here you will find the basic breakdown of all of your Page’s posts. The data points include Reach, Post Clicks, and Engagements.
  • When Your Fans Are Online – I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS! This graph shows you when your fans are online. This answers that magical question about when is the best time to post. This proves that there is no magic standard and optimal posting times are unique to each page.
  • Best Post Types – Want to know the success of the different post types? Now you know! This section shows data based on average reach and engagement.

People

This section allows you to compare the demographics of people who have Liked your Page with the overall demographics of Facebook’s total population.  The data here is split up into 3 parts: Your Fans, People Reached and People Engaged.

• Your Fans – Here you will find basic demographic data including Age, Gender, Location and Language.
  • People Reached – This part shows you the demographics of the people who saw your content compared against the rest of all your Fans.
  • People Engaged – Here you will find information about the demographics of the people who engaged with your posts compared with the overall demographics of your Fans.

Overall, I am very excited by the Facebook Insights overhaul. Have you seen the new Insights yet? What is your impression?

Nate Mendenhall

Nathan Mendenhall

Manager, Cendyn/ONE

Nathan Mendenhall is a social media manager at Cendyn/ONE in Boca Raton, Florida. He has extensive experience with creating and implementing successful social media strategies for both B2B and B2C brands. Connect with him at @NCMSocial!

Comments

MikeGingerich
Posted on July 9th 2013 at 5:49PM

The "When Fans are Online" is a HUGE new asset!

LatinaComm
Posted on July 9th 2013 at 8:00PM

• "When Your Fans Are Online – I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS! This graph shows you when your fans are online. This answers that magical question about when is the best time to post. This proves that there is no magic standard and optimal posting times are unique to each page."

I agree with Mike - Having this feature it will prove to be of great use for all social media strategists and brands. Thanks for sharing this with us, Nathan!

Nate Mendenhall
Posted on July 9th 2013 at 8:30PM

Thank you both for the feedback!

Marketwithmario
Posted on July 10th 2013 at 12:25PM

What an outstanding upgrade. This is vital for anyone that manages a Facebook page to measure success.

Brandi Good
Posted on July 10th 2013 at 7:02PM

Haven't got the new insights yet, but they look exciting!  Thanks for posting this.

Mia Fileman
Posted on July 10th 2013 at 11:21PM

How do I switch over to the new insights?  Its not promoting me and I cant see anywhere to turn them on.

Nate Mendenhall
Posted on July 11th 2013 at 8:00PM

Hi Mia!

I noticed a prompt earlier this week to take a tour. I assume that it is in a rollout release phase. Hoepfully you will get it soon!

-@ncmsocial

Sophie Taylor
Posted on July 12th 2013 at 8:59AM

I had it in my Fan page and to tell you it’s really a gift from Facebook to us.

Atirav Gupta
Posted on July 12th 2013 at 11:43AM

Thanks Nathan,

I would just like to cross check with you something about the new insights.

On the "when you fans are online" tab under the 'days' header, the insights is showing me a much larger number than the total number of fans I have on my page for every day. Also, when you hover over any day, it displays another graph over the 'time' graph, which does not make any sense at all.

Would love to know if you face similar issues, or am i missing something out of the picture?

Kind Regards!

logcabinswales
Posted on July 18th 2013 at 8:13AM

Like Atirav Gupta above I am having similar problems understanding the "When people are online" section.

The description under "Days" is: The average number of your fans who saw any posts on Facebook in an hour, on a given day of the week.

Does this mean the no. of my fans that saw any post, but not necessarily my post?

Then the graph under Times says: "The average number of people who saw any posts on Facebook in an hour."
With people does this mean "my fans". If so I don't get the 2 graphs. There is a grey coloured graph that would suggest that the time when most of my fans are looking at facebook is 9pm. However if I hover over any given day from the graph above this one, the blue line that is superimposed suggests that the time when most are on FB is 1pm. So what is the actual difference between the two graphs and how can I tell when most of MY fans are online and most likely to see my posts?

Any help is much appreciated.

logcabinswales
Posted on July 18th 2013 at 9:14AM

I too am struggling to understand the section about when my fans are on FB

Under "Times" it says "The average number of people who saw any posts on Facebook in an hour."

I assume this means "my fans" but that they did not necessarily see my post. If so the two graphs don't quite make sense. There is a grey coloured graph that suggests that the time when most "people" are on FB is 9pm, but when I hover over any day (all days are more or less the same) in the graph above this one, it superimposes a blue line in the Time graph, that suggests that the time when most people are on FB is 1pm.

So how do I interpret these two graphs and which time does this mean the majority of "my fans" are on FB 1pm or 9pm?

Thanks for any help you can give.

davidbchau
Posted on July 22nd 2013 at 7:02PM

How do you get the new Facebook insights? Is it rolled out to everyone yet?

CindyLevina
Posted on July 25th 2013 at 9:03AM

I agree with you on this. It's awesome! And I assure we all need this. I just get my new page insight and literally haven't jump in more. But, I really excited to learn more about this new features. Thank you for sharing this.

RazvanBucur
Posted on July 31st 2013 at 1:55PM

The new Insights in my opinion in not very user friendly and it's a bummer that it doesn't provide any way to compare your Facebook page with the ones of your competitors. Although it's very good to understand what your fans are doing on your Fb page, to put their activity in a bigger context is great :)

On my current job I work to promote a new Fb monitoring & analytics platform that helps you better understand how your content is performing, how many clicks your shortened links get (bit.ly, ow.ly, goo.gl), who are your superfans, private statistics & much much more info.

You can give it a try here: www.fbmonitor.net and if you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them. Just give me an e-mail at contact @ fbmonitor.net