Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Social Media and Football: A Comparison of America's Favorite Pastimes
Posted on February 8th 2013
You probably didn’t notice, but the biggest sporting event of the year just took place. Ah, yes. The Super Bowl: America’s golden child of sports and commercialism. How is this famous sporting event similar to Social Media, you ask? Here’s how:
Practice Makes Perfect
- Football players don’t become superstars overnight; they hit the gym and are on the field daily to improve their skills.
- This means that in order to become a Social Media superstar, it’s imperative to make a presence online by participating in conversations, and (even better) starting your own.
Bring Your A-game
- Even the best players have an off day, but it’s always important to be prepared.
- By creating compelling content and contributing to the online world, you will be prepared with the goods necessary to increase interaction and following with others.
Competition Is Fierce
- It’s no secret that football teams closely inspect their competitors for strengths and weaknesses.
- Investigate your competition. Follow suit when you see something that’s working for them, but one-up them by improving their method in some way.
- Notice their weaknesses and areas you can capitalize on to hit their untapped potential.
Multiple Ways to Tackle an Issue
- Coaches have a database of potential plays to solve an issue, and they vary their methods to be less predictable.
- Be proactive in your Social Media plan by predicting potential disasters and have plans in place for how you’re going to address them.
Celebrate Your Successes
- From victory dances to celebratory trips to Disney World, football stars never fall short when it comes to celebrating successes.
- When your brand is successful in some way, through reaching goals or hitting a benchmark, be sure to celebrate!