Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
The Super Bowl: Our Favorite Ads
Posted on February 3rd 2014
So, it’s the Super Bowl again! Rapturous applause from all of our American cousins and mainly blank stares from the rest of the British population. For those of our countrymen who haven’t a clue what the Super Bowl is, think rugby with helmets and body armour with lots of popcorn. The Super Bowl is BIG business. In fact, it’s SUPER BIG business, and millions and millions of dollars are spent each year on brand advertising because the viewing population is so high and the returns so very lucrative.
Every year, advertisers try their best to outdo their rivals with some of the funniest, most inspiring, clever and sometimes downright weird adverts to appear on American television. Every year the boundaries get pushed further and further and advertising budgets go higher than Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic, or will do if it ever gets off the ground. No wonder, then, that the ads are as entertaining as the game and sometimes even better.
We’ve trawled through this year's ads to bring you our best five. We picked these for their entertainment value, originality, humour and that feel good warm feeling you get when all is well. So sit back and enjoy our top five Super Bowl ads.
The Final Countdown
5. Number five in our list is for all you gals out there, or anyone who goes "Ahhh” when they see a puppy or a horsey. Good news, this video has both.
4. If you’ve seen any of the Matrix films - and let's face it, who hasn’t - you’re going to enjoy this ad. Think you’re going to be surprised here on two counts.
3. We are always being told that Red Bull gives you wings and if that’s true, the VW engineers seriously need to to re-evaluate their energy drink intake. Clever advertising with a humorous slant.
2. My personal favourite, and in my opinion it should tie for first place, but hey, rules are rules. For dog lovers everywhere, behold: the next generation of cuddly puppies who are cute and loveable and just as likely to have your fingers off. Do not watch if of a nervous disposition.
1. The number one slot, numero uno, nummer eins, top of the pile, rhif un (one for the Welsh there): there was really no other advertisement that we could have picked for our favourite Super Bowl ad than this piece of celluloid excellence. Makes you proud to be British. (Wipes a tear from the eye). Enjoy.