Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
What Content Travelers Seek Online
Posted on January 19th 2014
Expedia Media Solutions partnered with ComScore during the summer of 2013, surveying over 1,000 US Adults who had traveled in the previous past 6 months, and owned a desktop/laptop, tablet or smartphone. The report “Understanding the role of content in the travel purchase path” sheds some insightful details of how travelers consume and share content prior to, during and after a trip.
For one thing, online travel spending and mobile travel content consumption is rising, but not replacing the PC. Thus, marketers are challenged with more opportunities to engage with travelers. Some other findings:
- Online content consumption is growing at a rapid pace, as consumers are spending 93% more time with online content than they did three years ago.
- Online travel spending was up 8% YoY (year-over-year), reaching $58 Billion through the first half of 2013.
- Total mobile travel minutes have increased by 45% YoY while PC travel minutes have only increased by 2% YoY.
Another interesting point was that content is available and being accessed by consumers across more platforms and channels than ever before. Not surprisingly coming from an Expedia Solutions study, online travel agencies were found to be an important source across all platforms and throughout all stages of the booking process. That said, this report also sheds some key insights on the role of social media (Facebook) before, during and after the trip, and what types of content work best, i.e. organic vs paid.
- During the booking process, 26% of travel buyers were exposed to travel-related content on Facebook, with 23% exposed to paid content and 9% exposed to organic.
- 28% of total travel minutes are consumed on mobile devices and 24% of travelers access travel content exclusively on mobile devices.
- Online travel agencies (OTAs) are visited by 80% of travelers during the booking process and the average number of OTA visits during each phase exceeds that of any other category.
Different types of content resonate with and will be shared by consumers at specific points and on specific platforms throughout the content journey.
- 55% of travelers seek hotel and accommodation information, and it is the most commonly sought content across all decisionstages when taking PC and mobile consumption into account.
- Weather and climate information, followed by restaurant reviews, are most likely to be accessed on mobile, at 46% and 44%, respectively.
- Image content is used 37% of the time during the travel decision process, which is more than twice as much as videos, at only 18%.
- Upon return, 45% of travelers will post travel-related content on social media or write reviews.
- At 64%, social media photos are most likely to be published from a laptop, followed by smartphones at 45% and tablets at 16%.
It’s no wonder destinations, airlines, hotels and most travel marketers are embracing social networks such as Pinterest, but also photo/video applications such as Instagram and Vine, as part of their storytelling toolkit, reaching out to growing crowds of travelers. Expect more photos and videos coming your way from your favorite destination or travel brand in 2014!
To download the full report, click here