What Is A Social Media Strategy?

Samuel Junghenn
Samuel Junghenn Managing Director, Think Big Online

Posted on November 26th 2012

What Is A Social Media Strategy?

Over the last few weeks I’ve been working with clients on setting up a social media strategy for their business and it’s become very apparent that they have very little idea of what a social media strategy is.

So before I tell you exactly what a social media strategy is let me tell you what it definitely is not:

• A social media strategy is not setting up a Facebook account, spamming your friends about it and then posting content any time you are available.
  • A social media strategy is not setting up a like gate and then forcing people to like you in return for some cheap bribe
  • A social media strategy is not consistently posting images and articles to your wall which sell your products to your fans

I know that this list of things NOT to do seems very simple but I am finding that more and more businesses just don’t “get” social media.  They think that it’s a place they can get a quick pay off and generate HUGE returns.

Now don’t get me wrong, a well thought out and planned Social Media strategy will get great results but it’s important to note that the results are not INSTANT and they take time and investment.

If you want to create an effective social media strategy then you need to understand the core of social media which is creating a connection with your audience, then engaging them with your page and then finally converting them to a sale.

This three step process doesn’t happen in just hours or even just days it happens over a course of time.  The good news is though, if you do it well and create a great environment the rewards are almost endless.

So don’t approach your social media strategy with the hopes of a quick pay off, understand that it’s a long term investment just like SEO.  If you do it right and follow the rules you’ll get the result you desire but if you try and take short cuts you’ll ultimately fail.

Samuel Junghenn

Samuel Junghenn

Managing Director, Think Big Online

Serial Entrepreneur that LOVES helping grow medium sized business through the use of cutting edge online marketing techniques

Comments

John Wiedenheft
Posted on November 27th 2012 at 1:34AM

Samuel, greatly enjoyed the article. Reminds me of a presentation I saw on how to help businesses start with social media. What step was setting up your Facebook account? Definitely not in the top 5...that's for sure!

Kent Ong
Posted on November 27th 2012 at 3:24AM

Hi Samuel, social media marketing strategy is about build genuine and long term relationship with customers or even suppliers online, period.

jonnalynpascual
Posted on November 27th 2012 at 4:45AM

Engaging and building social media strategy is a good way to attract, engage, and build relationships and trust to your customers.

Ramya
Posted on November 27th 2012 at 7:36AM

Hi… it’s a great article which explains the crux of social media strategy. Thanks for

sharing with us.

Mahendra
Posted on November 27th 2012 at 11:17AM

Thanks Samuel, it's a great post your explanation will clears the primary goal  of  social media is to engage.

Samuel Junghenn
Posted on November 27th 2012 at 12:28PM

thanks for the comments guys...

@kent - I agree with you any good online strategy will aim to development relationships which end up in sales results for the company

Roger Koplenig
Posted on November 27th 2012 at 3:42PM

Samuel, I really like it that you picked up the topic social media strategy.

Of course, getting connected, being engaged and getting into the recommendation chain (closing) are very important topics when developing a social media strategy. From my experience I have to say that it needs more for creating a successful strategy.

Without a thorough assessment of the potential customers and the places and spaces where they are, a well developed presence management, engaging with customers, prospects and partners on personal level and not only with the companies pages one will often fail with his strategy. And, these points are not even all parts of a successful strategy development.

The approaches to strategy might be different. Before following a more holistic view I've also tried to get connected to the right people, engaged in several ways, but not foccused and it did not work. That is the background for my comment here.