Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Why Smart Marketers are Using Google+: Interview with B.L. Ochman
Posted on March 16th 2014
Are you avoiding Google+ because it’s:
- a ghost town?
- too complicated?
- yet another thing to do and you haven’t gotten around to?
In this interview I did with B.L. Ochman, Google+ coach and one of the most influential women in social media, you’ll find out why Google+ is a key tool in your online marketing strategy. (Highlights below the video.)
- Google+ is incorporated into everything Google – Search, Maps, YouTube, you name it. The algorithm heavily favors content originating in Google+. "Paraphrasing the words of Larry Page, “If you ignore Google+, Google search will ignore you.”
Fill out your profile and add your photo, otherwise you’ll be a blank on Google+.
- Google+ enables you to have one account, while sharing your varied personal and professional interests with relevant people. On Twitter or Facebook, the potential clients who are interested in your US tax policy updates may or may not want to see your latest wedding cake decorating efforts. And even those who drool at your frosting and fondant may not be following the numerous pictures of your toddler with the same eagerness. So there you need multiple accounts. On Google+, you can use Circles to share with every person what is relevant to them, while remaining one account – one you.
People think Google+ is a ghost town because they don’t know how to use it.
- One of the most important things Google+ lets you do is claim ownership of your content across the web, so Google will know it’s your content, and doesn’t belong to those big bad scrapers. All it takes is a little line of code in the right place.
Google+ is more than a social network.
- The Hangouts feature is one of the best ways to have free video events. You can host a private or public meeting with up to 10 people actively participating and collaborating using Google properties like Drive. As many people can watch live as you want, and you can auto broadcast the Hangout to YouTube so it will be available for viewing later on. (More details on using Google+ event pages to boost your Hangout engagement in the interview above.)
Like everything Google, there’s a learning curve. But it’s worth it.