Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Why Social Media Writers Are in Demand
Posted on February 5th 2014
Nearly three-quarters of all internet users use social media and it is the content produced by social media writers that influences them. Unlike copy writers, social media writers are a highly specialized and creative lot. They’re both in demand and compensated well for their services. Are you interested in becoming a social media writer? Develop these 5 skills and you are well on your way:
1. Develop your writing skills. Readers choose to invest their time reading content that satisfies a want or need. In exchange for their time, they expect a return. Do readers read your work from beginning to end? Do they say you are a good writer?
2. Develop your online research skills. Good social media writers thoroughly research the product or service they’re writing about. They also research those they are writing to attract. Finally, they correlate the marketing goals of their clients with the wants and needs of those who are buying. Do you utilize the web to conduct product, service, and demographic research?
3. Learn how to strategically leverage social media. Every social media platform has its own culture and a good social media writer has the PR skills to post appropriately within multiple cultures. Are you familiar with social media management tools? Have you ever built a social community? Do you utilize socially appropriate public relations skills to connect with customers and encourage them to share information?
4. Become a skilled WordPress blogger. The heart and soul of social media and the foundation for influential business marketing is blogging. A skilled WordPress blogger writes posts that appeal to both people and search engines. People read, comment on, and share blog posts they like. Can you effortlessly utilize WordPress software? Do visitors engage with you and others on your blog? Do visitors share your blog posts on their social channels? Do you know how to drive traffic to a blog or website via social?
5. Know how to optimize your social content for search. If it’s digital, it’s searchable. Effective social media writers make smart use of SEO. Over 1 billion searches are done on Google every day which means your target audience is searching. Learn what makes search engines tick. Find non-offensive ways to integrate long tail keyword research results into your social posts.
The art/science of social media writing is complicated and highly creative. It’s such an expansive subject; I know I only covered part of it. If you are an experienced social media writer or a writer who would like to make the transition to social media writer, please add your comments and/or questions below. I look forward to reading them.