Nearly three-quarters of all internet users use social media and it is the content produced by social media writers that influences them. Unlike copy writers, social media writers are a highly specialized and creative lot. They’re both in demand and compensated well for their services. Are you interested in becoming a social media writer? Develop these 5 skills and you are well on your way:
1. Develop your writing skills. Readers choose to invest their time reading content that satisfies a want or need. In exchange for their time, they expect a return. Do readers read your work from beginning to end? Do they say you are a good writer?
2. Develop your online research skills. Good social media writers thoroughly research the product or service they’re writing about. They also research those they are writing to attract. Finally, they correlate the marketing goals of their clients with the wants and needs of those who are buying. Do you utilize the web to conduct product, service, and demographic research?
3. Learn how to strategically leverage social media. Every social media platform has its own culture and a good social media writer has the PR skills to post appropriately within multiple cultures. Are you familiar with social media management tools? Have you ever built a social community? Do you utilize socially appropriate public relations skills to connect with customers and encourage them to share information?
4. Become a skilled WordPress blogger. The heart and soul of social media and the foundation for influential business marketing is blogging. A skilled WordPress blogger writes posts that appeal to both people and search engines. People read, comment on, and share blog posts they like. Can you effortlessly utilize WordPress software? Do visitors engage with you and others on your blog? Do visitors share your blog posts on their social channels? Do you know how to drive traffic to a blog or website via social?
5. Know how to optimize your social content for search. If it’s digital, it’s searchable. Effective social media writers make smart use of SEO. Over 1 billion searches are done on Google every day which means your target audience is searching. Learn what makes search engines tick. Find non-offensive ways to integrate long tail keyword research results into your social posts.
The art/science of social media writing is complicated and highly creative. It’s such an expansive subject; I know I only covered part of it. If you are an experienced social media writer or a writer who would like to make the transition to social media writer, please add your comments and/or questions below. I look forward to reading them.