Why You Shouldn't Over Post on Facebook

mattc1323
Matt Coffey Marketing and Communications Manager, Wincourse Technologies

Posted on September 29th 2012

Why You Shouldn't Over Post on Facebook

As social media professionals, I believe this is one of the two biggest struggles we have both with our clients and with our bosses, the other being actually what to post, but that is a completely different topic.

More is not always better when it comes to Facebook. Ignoring the fact that most fans never return to a page after they like it, people get frustrated and annoyed by constant posts. Worse than that: now you, the social media professional, has to come up with a large amount of posts. When posting three or more times per day, most of those post are worthless with little value to the fans.

This is a graph from Jeff Bullas' article 10 Powerful Tips to Increase Engagement on Facebook:

Posts made between 8 PM and 7 AM receive 20% more user engagement.

Here are some great stats from an article from the social business:

One-to-two posts a day is more effective than fewer or more posts per day. One or two brand posts receive 32% higher “like” rates and 73% higher comment rates compared to posting 3 or more times a day.

Engagement is highest when brands post four to five posts a week. Posting one to four times a week produces 71% higher user engagement than five or more posts in a given week. Posting less than that, does not maximize your opportunity to target your fans as often as possible.

Clients may think the easy to fix to a low level of Facebook engagement is more posts, this will never work. Content is king. Visually appealing posts get more engagement, along with questions and discounts.

In short, be sure to experiment with what you post and the times you post. You may be surprised to see when you are getting the most engagement.

If you’re having a hard time with social media marketing, seek consultation from a social media agency to create a plan or manage your networks.

How often do you post on your social networks, and what results have you seen? Let us know in the comments.

mattc1323

Matt Coffey

Marketing and Communications Manager, Wincourse Technologies

Matt has many years of marketing and social media experience. Throughout his professional career, he has worked on many high level social media and public relations engagements and has the knowledge to take your company to the top. He has an entrepreneurial mindset which led him to start his own consulting business at 19. attractcommunications.com

Comments

Majharul
Posted on September 29th 2012 at 5:56PM

I compleatly agree with you. Thanks to share the secret about social media marketing !

Kent Ong
Posted on September 30th 2012 at 8:47AM

I think it depends on which industry, companies, products or services, there is no fixed answer for the issue. Anyway, your advice can be used as standard

spearson
Posted on October 1st 2012 at 5:32AM

Matt this is a great post. I evaluated my FB engagement rates recently and my results were in line with what you have suggested here.

Micheal1975
Posted on October 2nd 2012 at 8:15PM

We are thinking alike! I also like to keep posts minimal.  Social Media can be a powerful marketing tool - but don't ever abuse it!

Michel of ClickXposure

thinkerdoer
Posted on October 3rd 2012 at 2:54PM

Matt, I enjoyed your article "Why You Shouldn't Overpost on Facebook".
It was concise and easy to read.  I especially liked your heading that summarized the content.

Katherine Zen
Posted on October 4th 2012 at 10:07PM

are the stats for a personal profile or a business profile?  I've come across articles that suggest businesses should post between 8am-11am.

mattc1323
Posted on October 5th 2012 at 2:19PM

Hey Katherine. These stats are for business pages. It does make sense to wait until around 8 pm to post. Think about a business person who is not in the communications field, their business, more than likely, blocks social media sites.

LaFaith
Posted on October 4th 2012 at 11:39PM

Greetings Matt Thanks for the heads up about socializing on Facebook, and yes Content is king.

Shawn Alain
Posted on October 5th 2012 at 1:39AM

Some of these tips go against all other advice from the experts in the field. If your brand only posts 1-4 times per week your edgerank will be completely destroyed.  Also posting between 6pm-9pm seems to be for most a really good time to post but your article sounds like you're recommending posts around midnight.  For me my best to worst days are Tuesday, Wednesday, Monday, Thursday, Sunday, Friday then Saturday and on Tuesdays I get the best engagement with 3-5 posts and Saturday it's 1-2.  How many posts I do that day all depends on how well the previous post is doing for engagement. This strategy has grown my FB page from 3000 followers less than a year ago to 45,000+ today, not to mention 3 Social Media awards along the way.  But in the end every brand is different and it takes your Social Media Manager to find the sweet spot.

mattc1323
Posted on October 5th 2012 at 2:27PM

Hey Shawn,

Thank you for your comment. This definitely is not 100% for every brand and business. Your Social Media Manager should experiment with different times and days. For example, if your key demographic is stay at home moms, you are going to get better engagement weekdays mid-morning.

You are correct, it comes down to product and brand.

Thanks again!

Shawn Alain
Posted on October 5th 2012 at 3:06PM

The Social Media Manager would be me :) and yes I am a believer in experimenting, it's the only way to see if there's a way to improve upon your Social Media.  And in all fairness we are a ski resort so there's never a shortage of great content to post.

mattc1323
Posted on October 5th 2012 at 3:08PM

Shawn, you are one of those lucky businesses then :) I am curious, how is your engagement in the offseason, assuming you are in an area that has one?

Shawn Alain
Posted on October 5th 2012 at 3:28PM

Surprisingly it's incredible, especially since we don't have any summer activities on our mountain.  We're currently ranked 3rd for highest talking about for ski resorts in the industry http://www.slopefillers.com/showrank/?q=FacebookTalking&view=3#3 and I haven't let up on my posting frequency at all (with the exception of a month I took off for holidays and someone else did it) https://www.facebook.com/SunshineVillageResort

45,038 likes · 11,414 talking about this.

But for the majority of ski resorts it obviously drops for a few reasons; 1. Yes people are less interested in skiing/boarding during the summer  2. They post less 3. The reason they are posting less is because many resorts lay off their social media staff for the summer.

But for content all it takes is a little creativity to keep people talking.

ISS
Posted on October 5th 2012 at 11:30PM

Thanks for the info Matt. The number of post per day I think depends on your target, I have a niche that is more about encouragement and helpful resources. I find that 3x's a day is best, targeting early am, mid day and late afternoon early evening.

I'm intregued by the 8pm to 7am I'll play with that a little more althought my early morning ones are usually around 6am.  Shaun's comment about 7pm to 9pm is interesting, my feeling is while yes that is when many people are using it, there is so much traffic that your post gets lost in all the traffic. I think 4-6pm is better as you have a better chance of still being in the feed when they first get online & before it gets to busy.

As always though it depends on your target and testing and tweaking.

Thanks again, Valerie~

Alexandra Skey
Posted on February 8th 2013 at 3:23AM

Hey Matt,

Awesome post!

I was doing research on how often small businesses should post on Facebook, and I came across your blog twice. Love the analytics. I digged further after visiting your site to pull together stats on how often small businesses should not only post on Facebook, but tweet and blog as well using simple math.

What do you think? http://bit.ly/14VUrFe Really appriciated your insights.

Thanks for the inspiration,
Alexandra

mattc1323
Posted on June 10th 2013 at 2:21PM

Hi Alexandra!

I first want to apologize for my very late resposne, I was off the grid for sometime. I love your article, I like the way you dug deeper. Great work!

mariliacoutinho
Posted on March 19th 2013 at 10:55PM

I got sort of scared with this article, which I found searching for "overposting - facebook - pages". As another member said, maybe each business needs to experiment and find its best frequency. I'm a sports consultant, athlete, writer and coach, so all my stuff is about information. If I keep posting to once a day, I have a feeling my followers might get upset. But I'm also concerned about overposting: I noticed one day I posted 9 times. I do pay special attention to the number of views and engagement I get for each post. Controversial topics attract a lot of views and likes but sometimes the most stupid "follow me on youtube" gets over 400 views, so I really don't know.

mattc1323
Posted on June 10th 2013 at 2:23PM

Hi Marilia,

Thank you for taking the time to read my article. I agree with you, sports is a totally different animal.

mattc1323