Social media is changing the game for events and conferences. It seems like just yesterday conversations were limited to the stage, break-out sessions and show floors, but now event organizers have the opportunity to almost immediately ignite community, inspire and entertain audiences like never before.
You're also now serving an additional audience - it's not only your attendees who you're reaching, but their audience, the followers and fans of those appearing at your event who are also tuning in. Event conversations are happening across every social network, from Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, to Snapchat. Attendees are live-streaming what they see, hear and experience via their mobile devices through apps like Periscope and Meerkat to give their audience a real-time behind the scenes and front row view into exactly what they are experiencing.
If you're a marketing or business leader planning an event in this ever changing social landscape, you need to understand the social and digital landscape of today. There are tremendous opportunities to build community and increase overall business results and ROI if you integrate social media into your event with a well thought out, planned and organized approach.
Event organizers and business leaders must understand the opportunities as well as the associated risks.
- What will you do if your hashtag gets spammed heavily?
- How will you curate attendee and user generated content?
- How will you organize your live stream video, audio, visual and other marketing assets to make it available pre, during and post show?
- How will you maximize use of all investments and the content that others are creating on your behalf?
- How will you handle wi-fi issues if too many attendees are live streaming?
- How will you handle intellectual property if people want to live stream your event and you prefer they don't?
- What is your plan B when something goes wrong with a social network?
- How can you maximize the conversations with hashtags?
- How will you maximize investment in paid speakers?
- How will you ensure maximum value for sponsors, partners, speakers and attendees?
If you wait until the last minute to setup your Twitter account, choose a hashtag and jump on Periscope, you're setting yourself up to fail. Marketers must educate themselves and truly understand both the art and science of inspiring and connecting with their audience. Even if you're brand new to social media, your audience and attendees are not.
Take a listen to the 181st episode of the Social Zoom Factor podcast and learn 25 tips and strategies to increase ROI at events and conferences by integrating social media. Learn how to plan, how to align to business goals, build community and more.
- 25 Tips to Increase ROI and build community at events and conferences
- Pre and post show planning and integration
- Considerations and planning for live streaming your own event
- Considerations for attendees live streaming event via their mobile devices
- Tapping into the power, reach and amplification of influencer marketing programs
- How to properly use and integrate hashtags into conversation
- Utilizing Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Periscope, Meerkat and more
- Importance of creating a visual experience to engage attendees and humanize your brand
- How to take the conversation outside of the event walls and venue
- How to turn up the amplification with the right voices and influencers vs creating more noise
- Importance of setting goals, objectives and key performance indicators from day one
- 24 Steps to Increase ROI at Events and Conferences (white paper)
- 8 Steps to Develop Social Business Plan and Strategy (white paper)
- Social Media Audience Analysis Worksheet (worksheet)
- Hashtags in a Nutshell
- How to Build an Integrated Digital and Social Platform that Works Even When You're Not Working
- Social Media Governance: 15 Tips to Mitigate Social Business Risk
- Welcome to the Inspiration Age (episode 170)
- How to Get Your Social Media Marketing Budget Approved
- Tapping into the Power of Other People's Content and Community (podcast)
- Why You Can't Ignore the Modern, Mobile Connected Customer (podcast)
How to Subscribe to Social Zoom Factor Podcast
This post originally appeared on Pam Moore's blog