Why, What and How of Audience-First Marketing Strategy and Segmentation [Podcast]
Today's marketer has no guarantee of reaching their audience on any medium. Not on Facebook or Instagram. Not on LinkedIn or Twitter. Not on YouTube or Snapchat.
Organic reach is dwindling for brands and marketers who don't have a solid marketing strategy which encompasses social, digital, content, and measurement all centered around their target audience.
Even when you place a simple ad on Facebook, the first question Facebook will ask you is, "who do you want to target?" If you don't know your target audience, your ad is not only unlikely to reach your ideal customer, but it's going to cost you a lot more in wasted media spend.
The truth is, without an audience-first marketing approach, every aspect of marketing is going to cost more time and money.
Social currency on the web today = attention + action
It's impossible to gain the attention of, and drive your target customer to the desired action, if you don't know who your target customer is.
Many marketers fear taking an audience-first marketing approach, as they falsely believe it'll be more costly, more complicated and will slow them down. When done right it can actually turbo charge your results.
Audience First Marketing is a Requirement Not an Option
The truth is that an audience-first marketing strategy will help align every aspect of your social, digital, content and media spend to the needs of your audience and the goals of your business.
The good news is that the social networks, and broader social ecosystems, provide us with incredible ways to dig deep into not only the demographics and geographics, but also the psychographics of our audience and potential markets.
Although many marketers claim to know their audience, the truth is a lot of them aren't doing much more than throwing social content and media spaghetti at the wall hoping it sticks.
Any organization that wants to still be in business five years from now needs to take the time to research and learn about their audience so that they can properly segment, target and implement an audience-first marketing approach.
I've developed a two-part podcast series that puts audience-first marketing in a nutshell to help you understand how you can leverage an audience-first social media, digital marketing and branding strategy in order to attract your ideal customer and achieve your goals.
In this 2 part podcast series you will learn the following:
- The why, what and how of audience marketing in a nutshell?
- Why an audience-first marketing strategy is required
- How to define a target audience
- What is audience targeting
- What is audience and market segmentation
- How to segment markets and audiences using demographics, geographics, and psychographics
- Understanding the important role a buyer persona plays in audience marketing and targeting
- Know Your Audience! Audience Analysis Worksheet
- You Are the Media: 10 Reasons You Need a Blog (episode 111)
- 10 Tips to Focus on Needs of Your Customer
- Social Trust Factor - How to Earn Trust and Establish Authority Online
- 8 Steps to Develop a Social Business Plan (white paper)
How to Subscribe to Social Zoom Factor Podcast
This post was first published on Pam Moore's blog.
Follow Pam Moore on Twitter