10 Reasons I Don't Retweet You & Your Content

Pam Moore Owner/Partner, Marketing Nutz, LLC

Posted on July 31st 2012

10 Reasons I Don't Retweet You & Your Content

monkey retweets 10 Reasons Why I Dont Retweet You & Your ContentDo you spend your day begging for retweets? Are you “that guy” or “that girl” that everyone avoids on Twitter and Facebook?

I never thought I would be one to write a post on this topic. However, I am being asked numerous times a day by people I don’t know to share their content. I also often get asked why I don’t retweet tweets or share blog posts if I so choose not to.

So, I figured it was a good time to provide a quick summary of my philosophy of retweeting and sharing content.

The purpose of this post is not to explain or provide details of how I tweet in general.  For details on such, please check out the following two posts as well as our upcoming “Twitter in a Nutshell” course as reference if interested.

Key criteria for selecting the content I share.

1. Relevant
  2. Offers benefit to audience
  3. Unique perspective
  4. Not already written or said by a million others in the same way.
  5. Timely
  6. Accurate
  7. From a trusted source
  8. Data sources are backed up and cited.

10 Reasons Why I Don’t Retweet You & Your Content

1. I don’t know you.
As mentioned above, providing content from a trusted source is a key requirement for me.  I love tweeting content from new bloggers, different bloggers and business leaders who can offer a different perspective for my community.  However, if I don’t know you, you need to earn my trust. This can happen sometimes rather quickly but often times may take longer.  Even if you If I meet you via a Tweet and your Twitter bio doesn’t help me know you better or make me want to click the url to learn more about you, chances of me tweeting your content are slim to none.

2. Your blog stinks.
Even if you have good content it may not be enough. If I visit your blog and it has any of the following attributes, it’s probably the reason you are not getting retweeted.

• Your share buttons don’t work.
  • Your Twitter share button doesn’t include the title.
  • Your Twitter share button doesn’t include your Twitter handle by default. Unless I REALLY like your content, the chances of me looking up your Twitter handle are slim.
  • Blog is hard to read
  • Fonts are too light or too small or both.
  • Too many ads and pop-ups.
  • There are links to websites that pop-up virus warnings. I have literally had people ask me to retweet content where this happens.
  • If I do click thru to your blog, it does nothing for me.

3. Your Content Stinks. Attributes of stinky content:

• It’s all about you.
  • Offers little value for my audience.
  • Your content is is a rant with no purpose but to start an argument.
  • You don’t speak from authority.
  • Source of your data isn’t documented.
  • Too much sellling, not enough content.
  • It’s already been done…a million times.
  • It's overdone.
  • Your grammar stinks.
  • It’s simply poorly written.
  • It offers no unique perspective.
  • You’re overselling via your blog titles.  You’re selling your post as “the latest top 5, amazing super fabulous, never been heard before social media tips.” Yet there are numerous blog posts on each one of them on all of our blogs all dating back to two or three years ago.

4. It’s me, not You!
I am also a writer, an owner of an agency and several other online revenue generating platforms.  I have an editorial calendar and a content plan. I have a plan for what I tweet, the topics I cover over a period of time and what I’ll be covering in the future, such as next month. It could be as simple as:

• Been there, done that! Your content is something I already shared in depth in past days, weeks or months. My community is updated on this and could honestly be tired of hearing about such a topic. Yours offers nothing new or interesting so there is no reason to share.
  • Your content and style simply doesn’t gel with me and my audience.
  • Your content is over political in nature.
  • Your content is about a very negative event or topic which I simply choose not to share.
  • Your content goes against my core values or beliefs.
  • Your content is simply off topic for me and my audience. Don’t get me wrong here. I share some funky content and definitely like to shake the pot when it comes to unique and exciting content.
  • I’m on a different roll. It could be I have set aside a block of time to engage and “be social” with my online friends. Sharing posts or content may not be on the agenda at the moment you send me the request begging for a retweet, sorry.
  • I like your content, however I need to add my 2 cents to it because I don’t really agree with it. My followers already know I don’t agree with it and they will question why I tweeted it. I often share these kinds of posts but only if I have time to edit the tweet title and usually leave a comment. If there is no room on the tweet to add a few words then the chances of these posts getting tweeted on a busy day are close to zero.

5. The only time you talk to me is when you want me to share your content.
If the only time you talk to me is when you want me to retweet you or share your content, the chances are it’s not going to happen, sorry.

6. You make it hard to share your tweet!

• Too many characters.
  • Poor title.
  • Too many hashtags.
  • URL has issues.

7. You are still using the default Twitter egg avatar.
Sorry, I don’t talk to eggs, engage with eggs, read the blogs of eggs or share content from eggs.

8. You are boring.
Bottom line, your content is boring, your bio is boring, your tweets are boring and there is not much more I can say but you’re boring.

9.  You tweet the same stuff every day.
I am seeing this more and more. People tweeting the exact same quotes, content and advice day after day after day. They don’t even bother to mix up the words. Don’t be this person even you are a self-proclaimed social media “expert.”

10. You are too stuck on your influence score and only talk to people who have a high influence score.
If I think you are only talking to me because of this, chances are I won’t talk to you much.  I like real, genuine, authentic relationships built on trust. I never decide who I am going to engage with on any online platform based upon an influence score such as Klout, PeerIndex or Kred.  I would have and still would be missing out on some of the best partners and friends in real life if I based a decision on such a score.  If you are doing this, I highly suggest you STOP! The heartbeat of social media is people. If you look at people as a number only, you are missing out on the greatest of all benefits of social media which is building real relationships. Get over that influence score once and for all, would ya!?

Don’t Just “Do Social” or “Be Social” be Socially Relevant!

If you are having to beg for retweets and are spending half of your day worrying about how you are going to get people to retweet your content you are focused on the wrong objective. Instead, focus on getting in the head of your audience and figuring out how you can offer them the most relevant value possible. If you focus on good content the retweets will come. The shares and readership will come. Your business will eventually succeed if you are truly solving your customers problems. Trust me, it works!

What You Say?

How do you decide what to share and not share? Do you have a content plan for your audience? Are you guilty of begging for tweets and retweets?

Pam Moore

Owner/Partner, Marketing Nutz, LLC

Half marketing, half geek, social media addict, CEO & Founder of Marketing Nutz @MktgNutz, entrepreneur, speaker, trainer, coach. Lover of strategy, ROI, Brand, God, Family, Friends, Beach & Life! 15+ years of experience helping small startups to Fortune 100 companies, budgets teeny tiny to big in both B2B and B2C markets build brand awareness, grow new markets, develop communities and master ROI across all mediums! Industries of expertise include high technology, non-profit & fundraising, green eco-friendly, enterprise data storage, professional services and storage management, real estate and home building, natural lighting, database analytics & modeling, online marketing, as well as web 2.0 ecommerce for online retailers. http://www.themarketingnutz.com

Comments

FeldmanCreative
Posted on July 31st 2012 at 3:02PM

Numero uno: the trust factor. Great list and really fun read Pam. Well done, as always. Trust me.

Posted on August 3rd 2012 at 11:28AM

Thank you! Yes, trust factor is huge! Have a great weekend!

Michael Erisman
Posted on July 31st 2012 at 9:48PM

Andy Warhol is spinning in his grave right now.

Seems ironic to require depth to the shallowest form of communication?

Posted on August 3rd 2012 at 11:30AM

I agree & disagree. It's what I write in this post that gives the communication medium depth. You can broadcast self promotion, lame blog posts and negative news all day and remain shallow or you can truly make an effort to provide real value, relevant conversation, educational content and connect and inspire real people. I'll choose the 2nd ;)

williameadie
Posted on July 31st 2012 at 11:57PM

Great comprehensive list.  I would write more but the font of this comment box is microscopic so I won't.

Kent Ong
Posted on August 1st 2012 at 5:59AM

Conclusion is, If there is nothing in between two twitter users (relationship), they won't retweet.

Good content, relationship, are something in between two people.

Urban Media Nottingham
Posted on August 1st 2012 at 11:45AM

I totally agree.

Posted on August 3rd 2012 at 11:27AM

Fair summary! Thanks Kent :)

thestartupmeme
Posted on August 1st 2012 at 7:18AM

Great insight.....

So if you want to be on twitter you need to have good content and know how to build relationship.

Posted on August 3rd 2012 at 11:27AM

Yes the heartbeat of social media is truly relationships!

ErinCNelson
Posted on August 1st 2012 at 9:31AM

Hi Pam,

Thanks for the article; I found it really helpful and entertaining. Just wanted to let you know though, that when you go to tweet this piece, the following appears "10 Reasons I Don�t Retweet You & Your Content http://soc.li/WhhFp5W."

The text is botched and there is no twitter handle (oops, SMT). I know your point is to educate and not to gather tweets, but thought that it was ironic for this post. It's safe to say that sometimes this stuff just happens. Maybe patience is also an important factor in social media engagement. I am still going to take the time to write this comment, correct the title and find your twitter handle because I like and appreciate what you have to say.

Cheers,

Erin

Posted on August 1st 2012 at 12:27PM

Erin

This site is not my home site/blog.  I syndicate my content for publication on this site which is owned by Social Media Today.  Yes they do sometimes have issues with the title being tweeted correctly.

I do appreciate you taking time to fix the title & share with your community.

Thanks for the share.

Pam

ErinCNelson
Posted on August 1st 2012 at 12:45PM

Of course, Pam. Thanks for the reply! We love your writing and work over here at exploreB2B. We'll be following you :)

mlazen
Posted on August 1st 2012 at 3:50PM

Yikes--let's hear it for automation--we'll check out what happened there.

Posted on August 3rd 2012 at 11:29AM

Thanks Mlazen! I am definitely getting some grief w/the button on this post! ;)

mlazen
Posted on August 3rd 2012 at 12:13PM

Should be fixed Pam--It was a smart quote in the title. Must have been pasted from Word or something.

Adam Justice
Posted on August 2nd 2012 at 11:15PM

This is the exact reason that I am really hesitant to write this type of post. When you tell people that grammar is really important in blog posts, you'll almost always end up with a typo in the title - it's Murphy's Law. This was a really complete list of things that could be wrong with.. well, pretty much everythig. It's the first time I've ever heard such an in depth commentary on Tweet buttons working incorrectly, and lo-and-behold. It could seriously happen to anyone though, even on their own blog.

As a quick fix guys, just change the title to "10 Reasons Why I Do Not Retweet You and Your Content". The apostrophe and ampersand are coming apart when the widget tries to format them. I suspect that this would fix it. It looks like you'll either have to edit out certain types of punctuation for a while, or replace the tweet buttons.

Pam - I loved the part about ignoring the Klout score. Some people now predicate everything they do on an influence score. It's terrible when they were previously content creators and connectors who were working toward a tangible, and real influence, but decided to exchange it for +Ks and aa bag of pop chips. It trivializes social media as a technology a little bit, and unfortunately we're at the point where social media needs to cultivate a professional and useful image or risk losing tons of credibility along with the next slew of networks to fall from grace.

Posted on August 3rd 2012 at 11:25AM

Adam - it looks like the title retweet issue is a glitch with the SMT platform / tweet button. I am sure they will figure it out soon.

I syndicate content to this awesome blog and community. The button does work on my blog and even with the button broken it still doesn't change my opinion that buttons should work.

The key is people will fix the title for content that is good enough. There are many blogs and big media sites that still don't do half of what I mention above. Take a look at Forbes or Fast Company. However, I love the content on Forbes and will always add the "via @Forbes" even though they use the "sharethis" button which only adds the "@sharethis". I always delete and add "@forbes" instead. However, I do wish they included the writer Tweet handle as I always like to give credit where credit is due.

I also do not always expect my blog posts to get retweeted. My goal is not always to get retweeted. I may have a goal on a certain post to change thinking, drive awareness on a particular product for a particular niche, align a post with another campaign. Therefore, I may sometimes even break my own rules. However, that is my perogative, right. I simply wanted to write a post that answered the many questions I get as to why I don't always tweet every post people ask me to tweet.

I think people need to respect one another's communities. We have relationships with our audiences. Social media isn't a barter market where we should require a tweet for a tweet. I simply believe in sharing the best of the best content I find that inspires me and I believe will do the same for my audience.

I am never shy in publishing posts like this and I encourage you not to be either. Nobody is perfect. No blog technology is perfect.

Adam Justice
Posted on August 8th 2012 at 4:39AM

"even with the button broken it still doesn't change my opinion that buttons should work. "

Couldn't agree more. Like I said, it really could happen to anyone. Sometimes there isn't an easy fix, or even a compromise. I really wish they would fix it for you though, it doesn't do your work justice, and it's an especially pertinent fix in this case. I see it for what it is (a screwy blog plugin), but we both know that it's the kind of thing you aim to limit when you publish online (which is why the meat of this post is so valid).

I'll try to get caught up and swing by your real blog a few times this month to keep up with what you're up to. I think you should try and answer as many goals as you can with your posts. No need to answer for breaking your own rules, from what I've seen you're more thoughtful in that regard than most - another thing we both know (that the most popular bloggers do it weekly, and if you build up an archive of old content, there is no way not to contradict something you've said in the past. Nobody's perfect right? lol).

ebellbiz
Posted on August 2nd 2012 at 10:18PM

If you want to influence someone on Twitter, you have to be relatable. Bad content on repeat is not a recipe for success. I've also noticed people who constantly share only their own material are not people I tend to follow. A lot of B2B online marketing experts could use your advice to improve their results.

Posted on August 3rd 2012 at 11:31AM

Yes, relevance and content that resonates with audience is key!

ErinElise
Posted on August 3rd 2012 at 1:24PM

Thanks for the advice, Pam! Many of your articles are truly very helpful to me, seeing as my job is a social media manager.

Thanks again! :-)

Posted on August 4th 2012 at 3:09PM

Thanks so much Erin! Happy to hear such! Have a great weekend!

giselleaguiar
Posted on August 3rd 2012 at 8:39PM

Kudos, Pam! You've touched upon every single pet peeve I have with Tweeples out there who clearly don't know how to properly use the tool. Thank you!

Posted on August 4th 2012 at 3:10PM

Thanks Giselle! I just wrote a follow up post on this today titled "I respect your community, do you respect mine"? It was based on much of the feedback I got on this post. I was surprised how many are still very focused on the numbers and are very insulted by people not sharing their content. We must all learn to respect each other's communities.

AnaTrafficCafe
Posted on October 18th 2012 at 5:22PM

Wow, you are a tough cookie, Pam! lol

I was starting to feel I did something wrong seeing all those "YOU's" in the post...

I do agree though; what we retweet is a direct reflection on us and our business, so it'd better bee good.

By the way, linked to this post in my new http://www.trafficgenerationcafe.com/how-to-promote-your-blog-post/ post - this is exactly what I'd tell my readers when asked why I don't RT their stuff.

Ana

WFHConcepts
Posted on October 18th 2012 at 5:50PM

Hello Pam,

I've only been in social media for three months now and these are perfect points to share with newbies like me! It does make one stop and reevaluate our twitter etiquette and whether our tweets are effective or not! Thanks again and looking forward to reading more of your posts!

Have a great day : )