100 Facts and Figures About Twitter, and Why They Matter for Your Business
Twitter is an absolute powerhouse. And while it is one of those networks that you either love or hate, my job today is to try to convince you to start loving it! Not only is Twitter a great tool to communicate with your clients, answer support questions, and engage in different conversations happening over the social web, it is also a great network to meet and prospect new clients and leads.
Every small, medium, and large business should have a Twitter marketing strategy.
100 Facts & Figures About Twitter
Small Businesses And Twitter
- 51% of active Twitter users follow companies, brands or products on social networks. (via Edison)
- 49% of monthly Twitter users follow brands or companies. (via Convince and Convert)
- Twitter users are 3 times more likely to follow brands than Facebook users. (via Convince and Convert)
- 42% of Twitter users learn about products and services via Twitter. (via Convince and Convert)
- 67% of Twitter users are far more likely to buy from the brands they follow on Twitter. (via MediaBistro)
- 37% of Twitter users will purchase from a brand they follow. (via MediaBistro)
- Close to 80% follow a brand to get exclusive content. (via MediaBistro)
- Over 90% say they follow businesses on Twitter to get discounts and promos. (via MediaBistro)
- 70% of small businesses are on Twitter. (via MediaBistro)
- There is a direct correlation between # of tweets and # of followers. The more you tweet, the more followers you have. (via Beevolve)
- Tweet exposure has a positive influence on brand consideration. (via Twitter)
- Twitter Shoppers go to 3 pages per visit (via Job Stock)
- 85% of followers feel more connected with a small business after following them. (via Twitter)
- 32% said they are more likely to visit an SMB after seeing a promoted tweet that related to their interests or needs. (via Twitter)
- 63% of people follow SMBs is to show support for that business. (via Twitter)
- 85% of people say they feel more connected to the business after they follow them. (via Twitter)
- Twitter users frequently exchange info about products and services. (via Edison)
- Throwback Thursday has real value for your business. (via Convert With Content)
- 42% of Twitter users say they use Twitter to learn about products and services.(via Edison)
- Around 60% of Twitter users follow a brand to get customer service support. (via MediaBistro)
- 66% of user-generated tweets that mention brands come from mobile users. (via BufferApp)
- Promoted trends turn twitter users into brand advocates. (via Twitter)
- 61% of Twitter users follow SMBs to interact with them and share ideas and feedback. (via Twitter)
- 34% of users interacted with an SMB after seeing an ad with their Twitter handle advertised. (via Twitter)
- Twitter users visit B2B tech brand sites at a higher rate (59%) compared to average Internet users (40%). (via Twitter)
- Twitter users exposed to B2B tech brand Tweets are more likely to convert. (via Twitter)
- 41% provide opinions about products/services. (via Convince and Convert)
- 19% of Twitter Users seek customer support. (via Convince and Convert)
- 41% to provide opinions about products and service. (via Edison)
- 28% look for discounts and sales. (via Edison)
- Offline sales increased by 29% when using a promoted tweet. (via Hubspot)
- The average Twitter user follows five or more businesses. (via Twitter)
- Only 19% of businesses tweet on the weekends. (via BufferApp)
- You can capture leads on Twitter with Twitter cards.
- There is a different Twitter chat happening each day of the week. (via Convert With Content)
- Twitter is 7 years old.
- There are over 500 million Twitter Users.
- Twitter is the fastest growing social network in the world, by active users. (via Yahoo)
- That means that 21% of the world’s internet population are using Twitter every month. (via PhewInternet)
- Twitter’s fastest growing age demographic is 55 to 64 year olds. (via PhewInternet)
- China has the most Twitter users. (via Forbes)
- 53% of Twitter users never post any updates but do listen, watch and click. (via Convince and Convert)
- There are 288 million active users. (via PhewInternet)
- 1/3 of Twitter users use Twitter daily. (via Edison)
- 1-in-3 monthly Twitter users are between the ages of 25-34. (via Edison)
- 3-in-10 monthly Twitter users are between the ages of 13-24. (via Edison)
- 63% of American Twitter users have a college degree. (via Edison)
- Twitter users are early adopters. (via Edison)
- 4-in-10 American Twitter users own at least three or more computers. ((via Edison)
- The average user has 208 followers. (via Telegraph)
- 400 million tweets are sent daily. (via Mashable)
- Twitter users are active on other social networking sites everyday. (via Edison)
- Twitter users are naturally talkative and post on social media more often than other social network users. (via Edison)
- The average Twitter user spends 107 minutes online per month. (via All Things D)
- 1/3 of American Twitter users update their social networks daily. (via Edison)
- Female tweet more than men. (via Beevolve)
- Twitter users are far more likely to own technology like iPhones, iPods and iPads. (via Edison)
- American Twitter users spend about 4 hours online per day. (via Edison)
- 53% of Twitter users are female. (via Beevolve)
- 5 out of 10 Twitter users are from the US. (via Beevolve)
- 84.2% of Twitter users have specified location in their Twitter profiles. (via Beevolve)
- 10.3% of Twitter users have geo-location enabled. (via Beevolve)
- "Love" is the most frequently used word in a Twitter user bio. (via Beevolve)
- 87% of Americans know about Twitter. (via Convince and Convert)
- 17 million Americans use Twitter actively. (via Edison)
- There has been a 44% growth in Twitter from June 2012 to March 2013. (via Edison)
- There have been 170 billion tweets sent to dat.e (via Books & Publishing)
- There are 210 billion searches per day. (via ConvertWithContent)
- 53% of American Twitter use it to consume and not create content. (via Edison)
- 36 minutes is the average time spent on Twitter per day. (via Quick Sprout)
Mobile Usage And Twitter
- Mobile Twitter users are 79% more likely to be on Twitter several times a day than the average Twitter user. (via Twitter)
- Twitter is a network for those on the go. 63% of Twitter users access social networks via mobile phone. (via Convince and Convert)
- Nearly two-thirds of active Twitter users access social networking sites using a mobile phone. (via Edison)
- Twitter users who mostly use a mobile device are 181% more likely to be on Twitter during their commute. (via BufferApp)
- Mobile Twitter users are also 181% more likely to use Twitter during their commutes. (via Twitter)
- Mobile Twitter users are 127% more likely to use Twitter when they are out with friends. (via Twitter)
- Mobile users are 2 times more likely to use Twitter when they wake up. (via Twitter)
- Mobile users are 3 times more likely to use Twitter while shopping. (via Twitter)
- Mobile users are 46% more likely to compose original tweets than the average Twitter user. (via Twitter)
- Mobile users are also 44% more likely to click on links. (via Twitter)
- Mobile users are 66% more likely to retweet. (via Twitter)
- Mobile users are 76% more likely to favorite a Tweet. (via Twitter)
- Users who primarily access Twitter on mobile are 60% more likely to follow 11 or more brands. (via Twitter)
Twitter And Vacations
- 59% of British Twitter users keep tweeting even while on holiday. (via Twitter)
- 1-in-3 British Twitter users use Twitter on holiday to find local events. (via Twitter)
- 1-in-4 British Twitter users use the site on holiday to find a local recommendation. (via Twitter)
- 1-in-4 British Twitter users use Twitter on holiday to get flight updates. (via Twitter)
- Twitter engagement for brands is 17% higher on weekends. (via BufferApp)
- Tweets with image links get 2 times the engagement rate of those without. (via BufferApp)
- Tweets with less than 100 characters get 17% more engagement. (via BufferApp)
- Tweets with hashtags get 2x more engagement. (via BufferApp)
- 1 or 2 hashtags will get you 21% more engagement than if you add 3 or more. (via BufferApp)
- Your tweets have a 12x higher chance of being retweeted if you ask for it, and 23x higher if you actually spell out the word “retweet.” (via BufferApp)
- Tweets that include links are 86% more likely to be retweeted. (via BufferApp)
- Your handle length is important as if people retweet it will eat into their character limit.
- If your first character of your tweet is an @ you should put a "." in front so it shows up on your feed.
- Convert With Content is on Twitter.
- Twitter is the best network to listen on because most accounts are public.
- Twitter is a ton of fun!
- You should have an active Twitter presence.
Want to learn more about how you can take these statistics and apply them to your small business' Twitter strategy? Join us for our Twitter Webinar on October 17th. In this webinar, we're going to help YOU get on the fast track to Twitter Marketing success. See you there!
Webinars On Demand
January 25, 2017While we’ve had access to the Internet since the early 1990s, we’ve only started to experience the full effects of its disruption on public rela...
December 07, 2016It's finally happened, social media has grown up and sold out. And it's awesome. For digital marketers, the maturing advertising options on soci...
Video is expected to account for three-quarters of all mobile traffic by 2020. But, creating powerful, effective video requires a significa...
Marketers are constantly seeking to engage with their buyers and drive actions that help buyers move rapidly through their customer lifecycl...