Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
13 Startling Social Customer Service Statistics
Posted on October 23rd 2013
Looking from this year back to last, it’s scary just how fast social customer service and engagement has evolved. According to Social Bakers’ social customer care analysis, social media properties monitored by brands were only answering about 30% of questions posed via social media in 2012. Now in 2013, brands have more than doubled their response rate to social questions to 62%. This marks a startling 143% year-over-year increase, and one that other brands that have not yet adopted social customer care should take important note of.
With key CRM analysts like Paul Greenberg, Michael Maoz, Brian Vellmure and Jenny Sussin all noting that social customer engagement is no longer the next big thing but should be embraced as just another part of a brand’s overall CRM offerings, big businesses and organizations should be a little scared if they don’t have a social customer engagement plan in place heading into 2014.
But there’s still time to get started. Here are 13 startling social customer service statistics to encourage adoption:
1. 71% of consumers who experience a quick and effective brand response on social media are likely to recommend that brand to others, compared to just 19% of customers who do not receive a response. ~ NM Incite
2. Consumers 18 to 29-years-old are more likely to use a brand’s social media site for customer service interactions (43%) than for marketing (23%). ~ J.D. Power and Associates Social Media Benchmark Study
3. When companies engage and respond to customer service requests over social media, those customers end up spending 20% to 40% more with the company. ~ Bain & Company
4. Brand advocates drive 33% more sales and 18% more traffic than regular customers. ~ Zuberance
5. The average number of people a social customer will tell about a good customer experience: 42. ~ American Express® Global Customer Service Barometer
6. The average number of people a social customer will tell about a bad customer experience: 53. ~ American Express® Global Customer Service Barometer
7. Only 36% of consumers that make customer service enquiries via social media report having their issue solved quickly and effectively ~ NM Incite
8. 40% of unresolved complaints through social media resulted in phone calls ~ ClickFox
9. 73% of top performing companies identified customer service as a top reason to invest in social media monitoring ~ Gleanster
10. 32% of social customers expect a response within 30 minutes; 42% expect a response within 60 minutes. ~ Social Habit
11. The number of questions asked on brand pages on Facebook has increased by 85% over the last year. ~ Social Bakers
12. Brands have improved their social customer service response rate on Facebook from just 5% in 2011 to 62% in 2013. ~ Social Bakers
13. Companies delivering customer support through social media achieve superior gains – 7.5% vs. 2.9%. ~ Aberdeen