Technology & Data
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
How to Get Your Sales and Marketing Teams to Work in HarmonyContent Marketing for Midsized Companies: Whom to Target, What to CreateAtri Chatterjee of Act-On Software on the New Generation of MarketersMarketing Automation: What It Is and Why You Need to Know
- Social Tools
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
71 Top Online Customer Communities: The Big List
Posted on February 16th 2011
Online customer communities are everywhere -- you just have to look for them -- sometimes in unlikely places. Because they are dedicated to serving customers, often they are not evangelized to the general public or consumer audiences. But they are alive, well and thriving within many enterprises.
By way of definition, when we say "online customer communities," we mean an interactive, often gated, website that a company sets up for customers to collaborate on topics of mutual interest.
And, we are NOT including customer service websites; e-commerce sites where goods and services are bought and sold; online customer panels that focus on customer research; online publications that let readers comment on articles; or blogs, twitter and general use of social media broadcast tools. These styles of interactive interplay are an important aspect of the evolving web 2.0 world, but are not, by definition, online customer communities.
I've tweeted and shared a lot of information about online customer communities. Some recent posts, in case you missed them, are "6 Reasons Firms Build Customer Communities" and "Spot the Winners: Three Patterns for B2B Community Success," which identifies the common characteristics of successful customer community builders.
We've also been doing the research, gathering an extensive list of online customer communities and developing a suite of case studies about some of the more innovative examples. So without further ado, here's our initial list from the Customer Community Project -- seventy-one of our top picks -- so far.
- Adobe Learning Communities
- American Express Business Travel Connexion
- American Express American Express Open
- Avnet Partner Community (gated community)
- Bank Of America Small Business Community
- Bloomberg BusinessWeek Business Exchange: Online Community Management
- BT Radianz Financial Services Community
- BT Transform operational capabilities in defence (gated community)
- Building.co.uk Building Network
- Caterpillar Caterpiller Community
- CHCA CHEX Knowledge Exchange (gated community)
- cio.com Executive Council (gated community) (gated community)
- Cisco Learning Network
- Cognizant Cognizanti eCommunity (gated community)
- Constructing Excellence Collaborative Working Champions network
- Cortera Community
- CSC Meaningful User Community
- CWFM Connect with FM (Facilities Managers)
- Dell Small and Medium Business
- Diversified Communications Integrative Practitioner
- Dow Jones Dow Jones Communities
- EMC ECN Community Network
- EMC Customer Council Connect (gated community)
- EMC EMC-SAP Ecosystem community
- EMC Networker Online Community
- EMC TheCircle (gated community)
- EMC Velocity Partner Xchang (gated community)
- Flexera Software Community
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise Business Community
- Hewlett Packard Business Support Forums
- Hewlett Packard Software Solutions Community online forum
- Hewlett Packard Live Network (gated community)
- HSBC Business Network
- IBM Communities
- IBM Center for CIO Leadership
- IDC IDC Insights
- InfoGroup Exchange Exchange - Powered by Infogroup (gated community)
- Institute for Human Resources (Many different HR topics) Community Home Page
- Intel Intel Software Network Communities
- Intuit Intuit Community (many different Intuit support communities)
- Intuit Accountants Community for QuickBooks Practitioners and Accounting Professionals
- Intuit Developer Network (gated community)
- Jigsaw Jigsaw Community
- Kinaxis The Supply Chain Expert Community (gated community)
- Kodak Grow Your Biz
- LexisNexis LexisNexis Investigators Network (gated community)
- LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell Connected
- Mathworks MatLab Central
- Microsoft (UK) Microsoft Small Business Community
- Microsoft Microsoft Developers Network
- Microsoft Microsoft Dynamics Community
- Motorola Enterprise Mobility
- NAHB Reshaping and Enriching our Communities
- NetPromotor Blogs
- NetApp New Products for Building a Shared IT Infrastructure
- NetApp University
- NetApp User Groups
- Oracle Community
- Oracle Enterprise Manager
- Oracle CFO Central
- Palladium Group XPC
- Pitney Bowes User Forum
- SaaS4Channel.nl SaaS4Channel.nl
- Salesforce.com SalesForce Discussion Forums
- SAP Community Network SDN Community
- Sage Group Act! Community
- Sermo MDs-only Community
- Spiceworks IT Community
- Staffing Industry Analysts Executive Forum
- Taleo Customer Executive Council
- TCN The Construction Network