Are You the King of Linkedin?

CatherineLockey
Catherine Lockey C.E.O., oz 2 designs LLC

Posted on September 4th 2011

Are You the King of Linkedin?

Self coronation is generally a bad idea.

If you think you are, then you have a problem. Why? Because social media is all about having a voice.  People tend to view social media platforms as free societies, a paradigm that renders strong arm business tactics helpless. Want to fail on Linkedin?  Simply adopt one of these 6 communication styles and you too can be the King… of Nothing.

6 communication styles known to alienate others on Linkedin

1. The Know it All

The know it all consistently corrects others whenever possible.  No one likes a know it all. If constantly correcting others is your typical way of “sharing” then you’re most likely alienating your readers.

2. The Arrogant Participant

This personality is similar to the know it all except he/she adds a dash of rude to every comment.

3. The Yes Woman/Man

Have you positioned yourself as someone’s wingman – always chiming in with a statement that parallels your “leader.” If you chronically participate on Linkedin this way, it appears you cannot think for yourself.

4. The Group Control Freak

Local group admins are most prone to this. Do you act like you’re the King of Linkedin and try to micromanage your group? Even worse, do you make threatening statements to group members implying they won’t receive business if they don’t follow your rules?  Then, you’re a bully.

5. The Spammer

Want to lose connections fast? Then, email them constantly after they’ve connected with you.  Use subject headings like: “Earn $20,000 a Month from Home” or “Free Whitepaper, Download Now.”

6. The Innovative, Entrepreneurial Expert

Avoid using these, and other overused terms in your profile. Why? Because when you use words like this you’re also holding up a sign that reads, “I don’t understand social media.”

Keep in mind when you alienate others on Linkedin
, you also alienate them from your brand.  If you find yourself in this position, your best move is to hire someone to handle your social media interactions. There’s a good chance a professional marketer can salvage your brand before it’s too late.

About The Creative Marketing Channel
The Creative Marketing Channel belongs to oz 2 designs LLC – a small, flexible, full service digital marketing agency. Oz2 is most often hired by medium and large businesses for social media marketing, content creation, animation, and website design.   Connect with us on Linkedin, Twitter, and Facebook. Email us at cl@oz2designs.com.

CatherineLockey

Catherine Lockey

C.E.O., oz 2 designs LLC

Catherine Lockey is the chief executive officer of oz 2 designs LLC, a full service digital marketing agency. With over 25 years combined experience in marketing, education, counseling, and journalism, Catherine is the content marketer behind The Creative Marketing Channel. Connect with Catherine on LinkedIn, Facebook, and on twitter @oz2designs.

Comments

Posted on September 4th 2011 at 8:00AM

The spammer is the one that gets me. It's so freakin annoying. I'll post a discussion on LinkedIn and some people will just repost an advertisement. I don't know what they are thinking.

Tweet4OK
Posted on September 4th 2011 at 6:48PM

IMHO Spammers don't think, the litter.... errrrr I mean they try their old school marketing techniques

Patrick Cummings
Posted on September 4th 2011 at 8:54AM

great post!

In addition, many folks are trolling and posting similar responses to smaller groups to try and gain "Influence" only.

The goal is to share knowledge, and collaborate VS game the system. Many groups are indeed very valuable in terms of the insight and experiences being shared, while some groups seem to be created for the purpose of adding Klout.

gmbdaly
Posted on September 4th 2011 at 10:31AM

I enjoy your articles and especially liked "Are You the King of LinkedIn?"  It took me a few years to acquire over 600 professional contacts and to obtain"Elite Influencer" on Twitter (94 out of 100 score). Yet, we hear of influencers with thousands (some in the millions) who call themselves "social media experts." Who are they kidding?  Thanks again for sharing.

Tweet4OK
Posted on September 4th 2011 at 6:45PM

Thanks for this article! Actually it confirms what I'm trying to tell my clients or eveyone that listens: Social Media IS real life. If you look at the excellent advice below you can transfer that to all Social Media and offline Networking situations.

Posted on September 5th 2011 at 11:36AM

Luckily I've not come across any/many of these, but I can see how they can alienate people.  Certainly the know it all treads a fine line between showing they have the necessary knowledge for their field and stoking their ego beyond recognition of a normal human being!

Posted on September 8th 2011 at 5:45PM

Love this post! I can add one to it -- the "Blabbermouth." You know them...They constantly fill up your news feed with updates, many of them mundane and self-promoting. Thanks for the laugh; I am sharing this with my LinkedIn network tomorrow!

Posted on September 9th 2011 at 9:29AM

Great post and love them all - one thought related to 4. The Group Control Freak

Personally, I believe to have a great group in LinkedIn (FYI I run a few groups - one Unified Communications has 23,000+ members) you need someone that is going to set the group rules and enforce them.

How many people reading this belong to LinkedIn groups that are full of spam, uncontrolled discussions, no format or rules/enforcement of rules? How much value do you see in those groups?

IMHO those groups are a waste of time - thus as a group manager I have to admit I am a little bit of a control freak but I believe for good reason.

Why? Because I want my groups to be useful to the members and having rules and some control mechanisms help that - they encourages members to have discussions rather than just post links that lead to discussions elsewhere or even spam.

Will I change? I'll certainly encourage more member moderation but fundamentally no - not until LinkedIn changes the way news or external links are presented within the forums.

Just my 10p - thanks great post

SalesAddiction
Posted on September 9th 2011 at 10:55AM

Well said.  I believe that these worst pratices apply well beyond LinkedIn.   In particular #1 and #5 are pure "unfollow" triggers.

Posted on September 20th 2011 at 11:42PM

Personally, I think Mr.Daniel Chege is the Social Media King on Linkedin. He has been on Linkedin for 5+ years and has made amazing 25+ Million Linkedin business connections with people all around the world and continually learn how to better connect and serve all the people he come in contact with. You can eith er google him, or connect with him at http://linkedin.com/in/poppa

All the best of success in your business.

Mr. Daniel Chege