Jul 19 Posted 2 years agoMark,A nicely thought out rant for sure.First, it seems that the nature of media since the switch from the one source (morning paper) to the thousand of streams that you mentioned leads naturally to this situation. Now information/news is not about a source of facts, it has become a stream of commentary as much as anything else. Just look at the false information the President and his competitors put out daily – top of mind is truth for many. Marketers want to be this source – naturally, they do pay the media’s bills.Second, I want to comment on some of your points:
Content Curation is sometimes a necessary part of modern content marketing – just a part. I do it and will do more. The benefits are there as well as the draw backs (like wine, chocolate, cake, etc.). Just do not overdo or skimp on the quality. For marketers it should be about educating customers. Quality leads are better than any lead – but not all marketing organizations are setup (or rewarded) that way.Greg
- Yes, there are 1000 sources for each industry. I do not have time for 1000 – 2-3 tops. News by its nature is aggregated (curated). So for any market/industry this happens. Most of us will pick a few and switch from time to time. As a marketer, I would like one of them to be our source.
- Agreed. If you are going to curate and share have a focus and add your opinion when possible. For big financial institutions an opinion is probably a 6 months approval cycle – so probably not going to happen. They should have their own content in stream as well.
- One size does not fill all. A shirt is a shirt – but they come in all designs and sizes. Fully automated systems have this weakness to be sure. Keep a human in the loop and target as much as possible.
- Customized and filtered? Like only watching MSNBC or Fox News – limits your perspective. But there are only so many minutes a day for consumption. I prefer picking my feeds and ignoring what I am not interested in. And I add some search feeds to pull in some new sources – to add some spice and new stuff.
- Use tools to source your curation topics. Human to select and add value too.
May 21, 2015A social campaign is only as good as its results, and turning your data into actionable insights is the first step to a successful campaign. Whe...
May 12, 2015Ever since Time magazine named “you” on YouTube 2006’s person of the year, companies have been working on ways to seamlessly use the people’s pl...
April 24, 2015Pinterest is a critical channel for any e-commerce brand. With over 70 million registered users, it deserves to be a big part of any social...
April 10, 2015With its 271 million monthly active users who produce 500 million tweets per day, it’s getting harder and harder to ignore Twitter as an im...