Learn how peers (and competitors) are wielding real-time marketing, where the pain points are, and how you might incorporate it successfully into your own business plan. Download now!

How to Add a Live Twitter Feed to Your PowerPoint Presentation

ImageLast week I felt like I climbed Mount Everest, in a super nerdy way. While preparing for an upcoming conference presentation, I figured out how to embed a live Twitter feed into my PowerPoint (yes, PPT. Sorry Keynote users, I’m not at your level).

Instructions to do this used to be easy to find in a Google search, but they relied on the Twitter API. After some major changes this year, the tactic was no longer effective. After some brainstorming, I wondered if I could piggy back off of the tools I’ve regularly used to display a backchannel at events (Twitterfall, Visible Tweets, TweetWally, and TweetBeam are good options for that).

Including A Live Twitter Feed In Your Presentation

#1: Determine what type of Twitter feed you want to include

Twitter Search Operators

Use these terms to beef up your Twitter searches. Click to enlarge.

It might be as simple as a hashtag, or you might want to get a little more sophisticated. If you familiarize yourself with the Twitter search operators, you can display a much more sophisticated feed.

One very useful search operator that’s not found in the chart on the left is ‘+’. Using +, you can pull in tweets that only include a certain term. It’s pointless on its own, because that’s how a default search works, but when you combine it with other operators, it becomes powerful. For instance, if you wanted a stream of tweets from me that were about Facebook, you could search for from:lizgross144+facebook. Throw in the ‘AND’ operator and you could search for tweets about the same term from multiple users.

#2: Choose a website to display the Twitter feed

Yup, that’s right. Don’t even think about PowerPoint yet. Choose a website. Your choice will depend on what you want to display and how you want to display it. TweetBeam is visually appealing, but you’re limited at what you can search for (mostly a hashtag, although you can highlight individual users or a list). Note that TweetBeam is only provided free for non-commercial use. Twitterfall provides a lot of options, but you’ll only see each tweet once as it scrolls down and you must be logged in for it to work. Visible Tweets displays tweets one at a time and will accomodate any type of Twitter search. The background color will constantly change, though. TweetWally allows any type of Twitter search but also allows for simpler options. It also includes the option of explanatory text and prominent display of your Twitter account on the right side of the screen. For my purposes, I’d go with Visible Tweets.

Whatever service you choose, get it all set up to display how you’d like and then copy the URL in display mode.

#3: Install the LiveWeb PowerPoint add-in

This was my ah-hah moment. Follow the instructions here to download a simple add-in for PowerPoint. On your office computer that the evil IT staff have locked down? (I jest, my husband is one of those folks.) No fear – it shouldn’t even require administrative rights. Sorry Mac users – this only works on a PC.

#4: Open PowerPoint and choose the slide to display the Twitter feed

Click “Insert –> Web Page” and past the URL you copied from the website of your choice. Because you’ve likely chosen a website that automatically refreshes, you can uncheck the “refresh automatically” box. Then, determine how big you want the display to be on your screen. Think about where you’ll be presenting and how big the web display needs to be so that attendees can see the text of the tweets.

#5: Make sure the add-in is installed on any computer that will use the PowerPoint file

This one is important. If you go to all the work of creating this slide deck, throw it on a flash drive, and use an event-provided computer to give your presentation, it probably wont’ work. The add-in is required to both create and present the presentation. Don’t forget this crucial step.

So, that’s it! It’s really quite easy.

I’d love to hear how you put this technique to use—please share in the comments.

Join The Conversation

• Dec 18 Posted 7 months ago Qtang

Dear Liz,

I was wondering if you have any thoughts on how to get a real banner for the live tweet. Cause now I only get it underneath eachother instead of next to each other. Do you have any suggestions on how to do that?

Cheers,

Alex

• Oct 17 Posted 9 months ago maggiehu

Hello Liz,

First of all, thanks so much for sharing such a great post on how to embedding tweet feed in PowerPoint. I think it is very helpful.

After reading your tutorial, I tried all the tweet displaying services you mentioned plus hootfeed, twubs, and Tweetwall with both PowerPoint 2010 and PowerPoint 2013. I was able to get the tweet feed displayed with TweetBeam, TweetFall and Hootfeed, with both PowerPoint 2010 and PowerPoint 2013. However, they are not my first choices. I really wish to get other tweet services to work, such as the Visible Tweets.

After reading your response to one of the comments, I realize that you were able to get Visible Tweets displayed with PowerPoint 2010. Given that you first responded in June 2013 when you mentioned that you were able to do that, I wonder whether the reason for my Visble Tweets not displaying with PowerPoint 2010 is because some of the PowerPoint 2010 updates after June 2013 caused that problem.

Would you help by letting me know that you are still able to display Visible Tweets with PowerPoint 2010 now October 2014?

• PindleWall's picture
    Apr 25 Posted 1 year ago PindleWall

I agree, VisualTweets looks really nice.

• lizgross144's picture
    Jun 17 Posted 2 years ago lizgross144

Technically, you could embed either. You just want to make sure you're using a feed that's simplified (not clunky), so there isn't a delay in it rending in your PPT.

• lizgross144's picture
    Jun 17 Posted 2 years ago lizgross144

Thanks for reading!

• Wendy Kier's picture
    Jun 15 Posted 2 years ago Wendy Kier

This is great Liz,

• buildandbalance's picture
    Jun 8 Posted 2 years ago buildandbalance

This is REALLY interesting. I'd never heard of this. For starters I'm loving VisualTweets, which I'd never heard of either. I am putting together a training class on Twitter in the near future and this is going to be great eye candy to drop in if I can make it work.

To be clear I'm embedding a site like VisualTweets in to my PPT, not MY website with a Twitter feed on it, correct? Want to be sure I got the point. Thank you!

• lizgross144's picture
    Jun 7 Posted 2 years ago lizgross144

Thanks for reading!

• lizgross144's picture
    Jun 7 Posted 2 years ago lizgross144

I think it can be a little finicky (there's a programmatic workaround for PowerPoint 2013), but when I've used it for a simple site like Visible Tweets in PowerPoint 2010 I haven't had any problems. Frankly, I was so excited when I figured this out I was more concerned with sharing it than perfecting it. I hope those of us working with it can put our heads together to maximize its potential!

Thanks for reading.

• Boenau's picture
    Jun 6 Posted 2 years ago Boenau

Thanks Liz, I didn't know about that add-in. Already installed it and started messing around.

Word of caution: some websites will have too much flare for the PowerPoint 2010 browser to handle. I'm trying out different sites that I know have some sort of animation or movement. (e.g. http://planning.org)

If someone knows a way to improve the PPT browser, I'm all ears.

• Susan_Chavez's picture
    Jun 6 Posted 2 years ago Susan_Chavez

This is a great idea for making presentations more social. Thanks for posting, Liz!

Upcoming Webinars

Whitepapers

• July 29, 2015
    Real-time marketing: you know it's a critical element in your business strategy, but are you finding it hard to master? You're not alone....
  • July 15, 2015
    Social has given brands and marketers a great new tool -- but it's a tool that can be as intimidating as it is powerful. At the top of t...