Content Discovery Smackdown: Hootsuite vs. Buffer vs. KloutContent Marketing Minds: Ingredients of the Tastiest Content [Nutrition Label]From the Corn Field to the Digital Era: Content Marketing Starts with TrustContent Marketing: Is 2014 Really Shaping Up to Be the Year of Video?
Your Customers Aren’t Listening! How to Create Consumer Dialogue that Converts4 Tools for Nonprofit Social Listening and Reputation ManagementThe Promising Role of Social Listening in Treating Health IssuesThe Importance of Social Listening for Brands
- Public Relations
Facebook Testing a Way for Users to Buy Products on the Platform7 Website Tips to Attract More Shoppers to Your PagesHow eCommerce, Augmented and Virtual Reality Will Redefine the Retail ExperienceSearch Query Analysis to Increase eCommerce Website Conversions
- Content Marketing
Technology & Data
Social Startups: Bizible Connects All the Dots from Marketing Contributions to RevenueCreating the Perfect Profile for Your Social Media Marketing EffortUsing GPS and Localization for Social AnalyticsAnalytics and Prospect Intel: Discovering Your Ideal Prospect
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
3 Security Risks You’re Taking Every Day While Using Social MediaShould the President Have the Power to "Pull the Plug" on the Internet?How Safe is Your WordPress Website From Hackers and Other Malicious Attacks?
- Software & Tools
- Small Business
- Social Organization
Celebrating the Grand Re-Launch of Social Media Today! SBH Podcast Episode 8Why Should You Care If Your Employees Are Thought Leaders?Beyond Engagement: The Art of Managing Social-Media Risk in Employee Advocacy
Why All-in-One Social Media Management Systems Don't Cut It for Social Customer ServiceWhat You Should Know About Customer, Digital, and Contextual ExperienceSurging into Q3: How to Make It Better Than Q2Is How You Serve Your Customers Costing You Business?
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Measuring Your Content Marketing Success [INFOGRAPHIC]
Posted on January 28th 2014
Content marketing one of the most reliable and effective tactics available to digital marketers.
Brands are increasingly employing content marketing strategies to generate product awareness and drive demand. Keyword-optimized blog posts, white papers, press releases, articles, and social media content create brand awareness, inspire audience engagement, and move customers through the sales funnel from initial consideration to purchase. But how do you measure the success of each of your targeted activities?
The team at Brandpoint, a leading provider of content-based marketing solutions, helps their clients get their brand message out, establish their thought leadership and credibility within their industries. Here’s how they suggest that you track your content marketing success.
How do you measure content marketing?
1. Awareness: Exposing new people to your brand, product, or service
Why is awareness important?
- Quality content can increase the number of keywords for which a site can rank.
- 93% of online experiences begin with a search engine, and 75% of searchers don’t move past the first page of search results.
- Social media is an excellent content distributor — more than 15 million online consumers say that they research products via social media before making purchases.
Measuring awareness success: What to look for
- Higher ranking in search engine results pages (SERPs)
- Steady increase in your website’s first-time visitors
- Improved social metrics — increased likes, follows, +1s, upvotes, etc.
2. Consideration: Inspiring potential customers to engage, read, download, comment, and share
Why is consideration important?
- Search engines rank content based on relevance:
- Time spent onsite per user
- Amount and age of pertinent original content
- Social chatter about your site
- Sites with 300+ indexed pages increase traffic by 236%
- Sites with 400-1000 indexed pages receive 600% more leads
- 61% of consumers feel better about a company that delivers custom content
- 65% of social media users learn about products and services via social media
Measuring consideration success: What to look for
- Increased total page views
- Longer visit duration
- Lower bounce rate
- Improved social metrics — video views, content shares, positive comments, interaction, etc.
3. Conversion: When a customer makes a purchase or fills out a contact form
Why does content marketing drive conversions?
- It supports searches for specific products and services — more than 39% of all customers come from search.
- Unlike PPC (pay per click), social media amplifies traditional word of mouth and grows organically with time.
- 77% of B2C companies have acquired a customer through Facebook.
- 41% of B2B companies have acquired a customer through Facebook.
Measuring conversion success: What to look for
- Increased conversion rates as measured by sales or leads
- Tracking which content sources contribute to the sales funnel
- Social media metrics — referrals from Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and other social networks
- Subscriber vs. non-subscriber behavior