Technology & Data
- Big Data
- Tech & Innovation
How to Get Your Sales and Marketing Teams to Work in HarmonyContent Marketing for Midsized Companies: Whom to Target, What to CreateAtri Chatterjee of Act-On Software on the New Generation of MarketersMarketing Automation: What It Is and Why You Need to Know
- Social Tools
Join us September 15th in Atlanta for The Employee Advocacy Summit and learn how to unleash the power of your employees.
Post your event here and we'll share it with our community. If one of our members is featured, we'll promote as well on their profile.
- Marketplace & Webinars
The SMT Marketplace
Your resource for exclusive content and insights from Social Media Today, and opportunities to reach our community of professionals.
The Social Business Book Club brings you books, discussions, and insights from today's to business thought leaders.
Join interactive talks and and panel discussions with leading thinkers and practitioners on social media and networked business, or browse the catalogue of recorded sessions - all completely free.
Reach Social Media Today's community of marketing and communications professionals in an editor-approved context with a native advertising package.
Social Media Stats for the C-Suite
Posted on June 27th 2011
Every month I read countless research reports and blog posts on interesting social media metrics. Instead of having them sit on my desk or in a bookmarks folder in my browser, I wanted to pass them along because social media continues to evolve at a rapid clip and it is very easy to lose sight of key metrics or research data that can help make more informed decisions.
Below are 30 of the top stats I have seen over the past few months that can help you either sell social media to the higher ups in your company or help you in securing additional resources for your company’s social program.
- 5 percent of online shoppers note that social media influenced them to visit a retailer’s website (Foresee)
- 82 percent of 18-29 year olds utilize a form of social networking (Pew)
- 42 percent of American internet users over 18 actively use Wikipedia (Pew)
- 40% of corporate Twitter accounts engage in some kind of customer service (Burson-Marsteller)
- In 2011 marketers will increase their social media usage by 75 percent (Brian Solis)
- 48 percent of consumers combine social media and search engines in their buying process (GroupM)
- 10.5 percent of CMOs say social marketing efforts are effectively integrated into their overall marketing strategy (MarketingProfs)
- 97 percent of the top US charities utilize Facebook in their marketing efforts (UMass Dartmouth)
- Of all social networks, YouTube has the highest Net Promoter Score with 50 percent of users saying they would recommend it to a friend (MarketingProfs)
- ~140 Million Tweets are sent each day (Twitter)
- 24 percent of adults have posted a review of a product they have purchased (HubSpot)
- 41 percent of the companies report that there is no staff dedicated to social media (Useful Social Media)
- 89 percent of companies note that social media will become a useful cog in their marketing mix moving forward (Useful Social Media)
- 35 percent of small businesses utilize social media in their marketing mix (eMarketer)
- Facebook expects to bring n $4.05 billion in ad revenues this year (eMarketer)
- Facebook is the leading social network for nine out of 13 Asia-Pacific countries (Edelman)
- One out of every six minutes spent online is on a social network (comScore)
- 73 percent of the US internet population visits Facebook each month (comScore)
- 62 percent of Facebook users between 35-54 years of age have liked a brand (eMarketer)
- 64 percent of Twitter users are female (Pew)
- 85 percent of LinkedIn users are Caucasian (Pew)
- 47 percent of journalists will use Twitter as a source for a story (Digital Journalism Study)
- Less than 3 percent of micro businesses utilize Twitter (Vistaprint)
- 61.2 percent of Facebooking females list themselves as married less than a year, compared to 44.3 percent of males (AdAge)
- The average media site integrated with Facebook has seen a 300 percent increase in referral traffic (Search Engine Land)
- 61 percent of Facebook users who have liked a brand note that they are more likely to purchase from that brand (AllFacebook)
- 96 percent of Americans use Facebook (Business Insider)
- 80 percent of social media marketers are using the platforms to increase brand awareness (eMarketer)
- Only 8 percent of US internet users utilize Twitter despite having a 92 percent awareness level (Edison Research)
- 46 million Americans check their social media profiles daily (Edison Research)